Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: You are in charge of US Domestic Policy - what is your solution to urban poverty?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    No more war on drugs. There is 80% of your problem gone.

The last 20% is culture. The prominent culture, especially of the under 35 age group is deplorable.
    -Gang Culture needs to no longer be idolized.
    -Drug culture needs to no longer be idolized.
    -Teen boys need to not think getting a girl pregnant 'makes you a man' Being there for your wife and kid is what makes you a man
    -74% of kids growing up with out fathers is a serious problem, see above.

Where do these ideas get propagated and spread? Entertainment. Music is a huge one, when you get some unintelligible uneducated ignorant moron incoherently mumble some shit about drugs and bitches and he gets idolized, you're feeding that shit to your kids. When you listen to that and say its good, your kid hears it and learns its good, and there for infers the message is good.

While the war on drugs would be an immediate effect, changing culture takes generations. In 1965 75% of blacks had a nuclear family, 1983 we were down to 50%, today less than 30%. This took years and generation to happen, it will take years and generations to be reversed. Here is an interesting article from 1983 http://www.nytimes.com/1983/11/20/us...ed=all&mcubz=0 Interesting because its about half way between desegregation/civil rights and today.

Lastly I'd cut welfare. No one should starve to death, no one needs to die of exposure. But the idea there should be 'dignity' to welfare is totally ****ed to me. There is no dignity to not being able to put a basic amount of food in your life. Welfare should be a last resort, not a life style choice. Keep feeding kids in school, the shit their parents do is not their fault, they shouldn't go hungry because mom spent welfare on crack.

We need another cultural shift, or at least to stop it before it goes to far. This shift crosses all races and incomes. As Americans 'living wage' should not be considered enough to have a family, and a two bedrooms, and all that crap. A 'living wage' should mean you are not starving, it should mean you and a few other people can afford to share an apartment and gasp, even rooms in said apartment. When you work a McDonalds doing your absolute minimum you should not be able to afford a family. A family is a luxury and it is earned through hard work and good choices. If you are finically struggling having a child is a hugely irresponsible choice, and its a choice. Poor communities would be a lot richer with less mouths to feed.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by THCDDM4 View Post
    There needs to be a culture shift, that's the hardest part because it has to happen from within these communities by their own hands. Time and time again we've seen that assistance means nothing if these communities aren't willing to change for themselves. We need to be honest about this and realize there are going to be those that don't want to, cannot and will not change. Leave them to their own destruction and put energy into those that want to change.
    Truer words have never been spoken!

Most of the problem is MOST of these people are content letting other people take care of them and complaining about how unfair they're treated and how bad they have it. They don't want to do anything about it. They want to be the victim. It's generation after generation after generation.

They can kill each other every day as well as other people who they truly victimize and they're fine with that....just don't do anything to their sweet little angels with violent criminal records thicker then phone books....then they riot. They had their man in Obama for 8 years and they just got worst. Good luck fixing it!

I grew up in a city. I was part of the "White Flight Movement" out of the city....glad I'm gone. We left and they DETROYED pretty good neighborhoods we left them. Notice I'm a little numb to their $h!t.

NYH1.

ROLLTIDE!
    NYSRPA Member.

Feedback Score
    Quit providing a free living.
    Limit entitlements to 3 months.
    Publicly promote the benefits of honest work.
    Publicly promote good decision making.
    Publicly promote the nuclear family.
    Quit teaching everyone they are special.
    Equal justice under the law
    Shut down the borders.
    Allow only socially and economically beneficial immigrants..

5 of these the government could actually do and save the tax payers while doing it. Hollywood and social media could fix the other 4 and continue to make money.When people see they HAVE to provide for themselves, they'll do it or, well, die.
    “I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.” – Thomas Jefferson.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    -Less top heavy brass, more police on the street
    -Actual police training with long term optics
    -Real calls only, total hiatus on revenue generation
    -Reorganization of the Project system with 5 year plan to reach actual housing
    -De-incentivizing over reproduction
    -A reshifted tax burden (i.e. Section 8 becomes less like a hammock and more like a student loan)
    -Total disbanding and re-organizing of HUD
    -Re-structure of the school system
    -"Clean streets mean clean streets" residents of public or assisted housing are required to keep all property maintained and to code.
    -De-criminalization of drugs and treat it more as a health issue than a criminal one.
    -"Move it or lose it" policy. If subject cannot make progress in one assisted housing area; they are relocated to another area with a fresh start. They are then given a year before they are re-evaluated and dropped
    -complete de-centralization of the Project system
    -De-incentivizing school sports programs. School is for school. Play sports on own time
    -Mandatory GED/Job training for adult residents of government housing
    -No redistricting for votes
    Agreed on every single item

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I reject your premise.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by NYH1 View Post

I grew up in a city. I was part of the "White Flight Movement" out of the city....glad I'm gone. We left and they DETROYED pretty good neighborhoods we left them.
    White flight is being replaced with gentrification. When the exodus occurred in every major city, value and prices plummeted, and the whole inner city went to shit. Now it's chic and hip to buy those places and turn them into lofts and coffee houses and studios and galleries. All of that is good and all except that is raises the values and thus taxes for everyone. While I enjoy going to the former 'hood to swill expensive microbrews as much as the next guy, I don't know what the answer is.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TMS951 View Post
    No more war on drugs. There is 80% of your problem gone.

The last 20% is culture. The prominent culture, especially of the under 35 age group is deplorable.
    -Gang Culture needs to no longer be idolized.
    -Drug culture needs to no longer be idolized.
    -Teen boys need to not think getting a girl pregnant 'makes you a man' Being there for your wife and kid is what makes you a man
    -74% of kids growing up with out fathers is a serious problem, see above.

Nope.

The majority of problem is too many people with too much time on their hands getting free handouts, getting paid to breed.

Everything you listed is a symptom of the problem, not the problem.
    Last edited by scottryan; 09-21-17 at 11:47.
    "Not every thing on Earth requires an aftermarket upgrade." demigod/markm

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    The St Louis thread kind of got off track, so I moved it to its own thread.
    How would the US get places like Vine City in Atlanta, or South Dallas, or South Chicago, or Little Haiti/Hialeah near Miami back on track?
    Define "back on track". Do you want them to be yuppievilles, or clean and safe but modest working-class areas, or lush farm fields without much human presence, or what?

When you say "back on track" - were these areas once prosperous and healthy? Of the four I only know South Chicago at all, and it was never all that great from the first (white European) settlement onward. You may find that in some areas the skin color has changed but little else has. Like parts of Los Angeles?

Are you judging an area's health by how well it matches the characteristics of prosperous suburbs with low crime? Or by how it matches the characteristics of other cities with the same racial-ethnic makeup? Maybe by industry present there and/or jobs held by the residents? Or by what?

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Stop. All. Subsidies.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckman View Post
    White flight is being replaced with gentrification. When the exodus occurred in every major city, value and prices plummeted, and the whole inner city went to shit. Now it's chic and hip to buy those places and turn them into lofts and coffee houses and studios and galleries. All of that is good and all except that is raises the values and thus taxes for everyone. While I enjoy going to the former 'hood to swill expensive microbrews as much as the next guy, I don't know what the answer is.
    I guess I should have said I can only speak for my area. These neighborhoods aren't being turned into lofts and coffee houses and studios and galleries. They're being turned into gang infested, dangerous drive-by, walk-by, walk-up to shooting, stabbing, drug dealing and houses being torn down, not fixed when in disrepair. Won't even mow the lawn. Sit on the porch all day long with a Caddy in the driveway, buffed out to every jagged line of rust with 22's on it....won't mow the lawn.

The worst part about my old neighborhood was during the school day when they bused in the kids that didn't live there. Once they went home, most things went back to normal. Now it's armed robbery after armed robbery after shooting after shooting after....well you get the point. Sure there was trouble every once in a while from within, that always happens. Nothing like now.

My parents still live there. Complain about it all the time. House has been paid off since the mid 90's, property values go down every year, taxes go up. They own another house, nice ranch type on a pretty big lot out in the burbs that they rent out. I tell them all the time they're crazy. They like their tenants, they're good people. I'm sure they are. My families and my own well being is more important then good tenants. My dad has a nice garage and all the toys in it. He could build 100 garages....CRAZY!

NYH1.

ROLLTIDE!
    NYSRPA Member.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast