Thread: Small Game Seasons 2017

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Small Game Seasons 2017

Hope everyone is having great opening weeks for small game.

Minnesota opened up on the 16th, I tried pegging Peter with the 10/22 and my shot was terribly off. After a tuft of fur being blasted off, I angrily sulked back to the zeroing range and started the routine.

Somehow, while in the safe, or being moved, I lost my initial zeroing and was 3 inches to the left, and two inches high at 25, not horrible, but I like mine about an inch high at 25.

After spending an hour zeroing, confirming shot placement on "ethical size zones" I walked the acerage again. Moderately flustered, wondering if I would get another chance at a rabbit that day. As I rounded the corner of the house, I scanned our parked trucks/vehicles they like to hang out under and there sat a decent specimen. Head high, no cover/concealment, and a good backstop. Lined up the shot, and punched him through the lungs, through and through with Federal HV Match. Instantly dropped.

No ticks, just some fleas. Got the meat slowcooking as I type this, and the feet soaking in alcohol for lucky rabbits feet.

We don't get a ton on our property, but enough to get me 1-2 a week when I try for an hour or two.

Will try to update one the days I get more. Going for some bird this year too.

By the way, since I know Kryptek gets some major hate, it was a brand new 10/22 I won from a Raffle... I swear.

Last edited by HeruMew; 09-21-17 at 14:24.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Going to wait until it gets good and cold for rabbits.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I don't small game hunt anymore but my son is a squirrel slayer. Season opened a few weeks ago and he is all over it. He uses a Cricket .22 with 40 grain subsonic hollow points, knocks those squirrels dead every time. I hate skinning those tree rats, but he is getting to the age to start doing it himself.
    Philippians 2:10-11

To argue with a person who renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

“The greatest conspiracy theory is the notion that your government cares about you”- unknown.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Made some damn good stew last week,

I was told Months with R's. It's a wive's tale and the risk for tularemia is present nonetheless.

Parasites are always a small concern, especially when handling a downed animal. In all reality, I use gloves the entire process and clean them outside the home. Never had an issues otherwise.

This one wasn't the biggest, but was the perfect for the opening of the season.

Nonetheless, apologies for missing your posts, I didn't even realize I had gotten replies.

Feedback Score
    Whats a good light weight Scope for Rabbit hunting? on a 10/22 take down.