Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best BackUp Bolt Cam Pin to Keep as Backup

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    Howdy,

I too keep a 93R for quick deployment. This served me well in the jungles of South Antarctica. A 93R is much easier to shoot while rappelling from a Bell Jetranger than an AR15. Most people don't understand that because they are not qualified to perform such missions but Gecko45 would back me up. I know his mall security uses Bell Jetrangers to insert into DZs. HTH
    LoL! A well painted picture of the realities of combat!
    * Just Your Average Jewish Redneck *
    Participant in Year-Long Gun Fighting Training Program
    Competition Shooter in NRA, CMP, IDPA
    Past part-time sales at national firearms retailer, Never came close to breaking even!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Glockster View Post
    Best spare BCG is the one you keep in your spare rifle next to your other spare rifles.
    Oh nooooooooooooo!!!! I only have one spare ...........this post proves that I need to at least buy that 18" rifle length I've been eyeing

Feedback Score
    Wound up getting 2 WMD Guns NiB-X Nickel Boron Cam Pins, and a spare parts kit as well. I feel better now. From the reviews I read the WMDs are a tighter fit by design, and may not work in every BCG, we'll see.
    Past part-time sales at national firearms retailer, Never came close to breaking even!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    What are the general experiences with cam pin failures? I ask because I've never seen one actually fail.

I've seen a couple bolts break at the cam pin hole, I imagine that cam pin wear has a roll in some instances where the bolt fails.

I just cleaned one of my rifles, I can barely catch a fingernail on the cam pin. Think I might replace it with the thought of saving the bolt.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    What are the general experiences with cam pin failures? I ask because I've never seen one actually fail.

I've seen a couple bolts break at the cam pin hole, I imagine that cam pin wear has a roll in some instances where the bolt fails.

I just cleaned one of my rifles, I can barely catch a fingernail on the cam pin. Think I might replace it with the thought of saving the bolt.
    You're okay then. The AK Operator guy had some failure of this part during his 5k round abuse tests. He does a lot of mag dumps in those, just fyi. From what I've read more people replace these than wait for actual failures, so you may be right as there's not a lot of data points. When that ridge becomes pronounced, it's time to replace most think. I'll do the same as it seems reasonable to expect that as the cam pin wears, the bolt and extractor take more of a beating. Same reason I use synthetic oil but change it at 5k and not 7.5k like the manual says.

Feedback Score
    I assume this is because they use a "mil-spec" pin and add coating thereby expanding the dims slightly. I wonder how the NiB-X holds up to the hammering this part takes. Please keep us posted when you know more.

Quote Originally Posted by PattonWasRight View Post
    Wound up getting 2 WMD Guns NiB-X Nickel Boron Cam Pins, and a spare parts kit as well. I feel better now. From the reviews I read the WMDs are a tighter fit by design, and may not work in every BCG, we'll see.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    so I have a pws and I know the general consensus of piston ar's around here, but I replaced mine with a pof rolling cam pin as I had seen secondhand damage done to inside of receiver predominately on piston guns.
    "America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards."- Claire Wolfe

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tehpwnag3 View Post
    I assume this is because they use a "mil-spec" pin and add coating thereby expanding the dims slightly. I wonder how the NiB-X holds up to the hammering this part takes. Please keep us posted when you know more.
    Yep, will do. It does say they are machined, so hopefully they accomodate the coating ... the feedback I read was very old, so hopefully corrected by now. $10 part, so what the heck. I'll holler when I drop in my SW M&P Sport II ... see how it fits and moves in the bolt.

Feedback Score
    Update ... Recv'd this http://www.primaryarms.com/wmd-guns-...r-ar-15-nibxcp

This looks & feels as a definite higher notch in quality ... it's a machined part and the coating and overall surface is very smooth, very even, and with lube on it, slick as hell

Dropped right into my SW MP Sport ... no oversize issue

I'll monitor the wear, but overall, seems like a $10 no brainer / more peace of mind

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    Howdy,

I too keep a 93R for quick deployment. This served me well in the jungles of South Antarctica. A 93R is much easier to shoot while rappelling from a Bell Jetranger than an AR15. Most people don't understand that because they are not qualified to perform such missions but Gecko45 would back me up. I know his mall security uses Bell Jetrangers to insert into DZs. HTH

FWIW, I always bring all of my rifles whenever I go to any sort of match but if it's just the range then no. I have never brought a spare BCG I because I don't have one that isn't already in a rifle.
    I went for a ride in a Bell Jet Ranger once am I qualified?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast