Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Glock Gen 3 Production

Feedback Score

Glock Gen 3 Production

Do you see Glock continuing production of the Gen 3 19 or will they phase them out over time?

Feedback Score
    Interesting, I was just thinking about this. I see them continuing production as long as they are under contract for military/LE and selling well. The Gen 3 19 still has a strong fan base. It will be interesting to see if Glock discontinues production of previous models with the advent of the Gen 5. I would imagine, in time the Gen 3 models still in production would be the first on the chopping block, notwithstanding contracts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Gen3 Glocks are the only Glocks some states can buy, so I doubt Glock with stop production on them. If anything, I think it's more likely the 17.4 and 19.4 start to become phased out.

Feedback Score
    One reason manufacturers of injection-molded products occasionally change the design of things is that molds do wear out, and the need to create new molds facilitates design changes. Glock already stopped making Gen 1's and Gen 2's. I doubt they could go back and manufacture those generations without replacing old, worn out molds. So, yes, the Gen 3's will eventually go away, but it's anybody's guess how long it will take. I suppose if one could take the number of years the Gen 1's and Gen 2's were made, and compare those years to production numbers, one could approximate the life of the Gen 3's molds if those production numbers were known also.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnatus15 View Post
    Do you see Glock continuing production of the Gen 3 19 or will they phase them out over time?
    Believe it or not California is a big market, even for guns. Gen 4 and 5 are not on the roster for CA. Doubt Gen 3 is going anywhere any time soon.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnatus15 View Post
    The gen 3 guns are the only pistols Glock can sell new in CA. On top of that, the only other poly framed striker fired pistols that are able to be sold beside it are the original Xd(not mod2) and a bastardized version of the SW SD9/40VE pistol. That is a market of 50 million that Glock owns because the state has legislated their competition away. The CA safe handgun roster is an absolute gold mine for Glock. Unless laws in CA change, the gen 3 guns are going no where.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by call_me_ski View Post
    The gen 3 guns are the only pistols Glock can sell new in CA. On top of that, the only other poly framed striker fired pistols that are able to be sold beside it are the original Xd(not mod2) and a bastardized version of the SW SD9/40VE pistol. That is a market of 50 million that Glock owns because the state has legislated their competition away. The CA safe handgun roster is an absolute gold mine for Glock. Unless laws in CA change, the gen 3 guns are going no where.
    why is this? does it have to do with mag capacity or purpose of design or something weird that cali politicians see in other generations ?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbytucson View Post
    why is this? does it have to do with mag capacity or purpose of design or something weird that cali politicians see in other generations ?
    It's just an excuse to ban guns not already on the list......and the courts let them get away with it. Having said that, like has already been stated, California is, contrary to some beliefs, a very big gun market therefore Gen 3's aren't going anywhere.

Feedback Score
    That's good to hear. I carry a Gen 3 and have for a few years. If I pick up another it may be a gen 5 just for something new but the gen 3 is really all I need. I've tried liking other pistols and at the end of the day I haven't found anything that does anything better than my Gen 3 19.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jedi391 View Post
    It's just an excuse to ban guns not already on the list......and the courts let them get away with it. Having said that, like has already been stated, California is, contrary to some beliefs, a very big gun market therefore Gen 3's aren't going anywhere.
    I was at a Glock Armorers class this week and California and Gen 3 guns came up. The instructor said that it costs the gun maker to send the gun to California to be tested. Since the Gen 3 has already been approved, Glock probably wont spend the money for testing another generation that is essentially the same as the gen 3.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast