Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Garand Thumb Rebuttal

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    The entire ATF batshiOt crazy. Half of the regulations they publish are so vague it’s crazy.
    Back to the topic at hand.

Just like a lot of the “pistol brace” threads, the gun owners as a whole can be our undoing.
    Simply installing a foam pad or wrapping with para cord can do a great for the use of the buffer tube.
    Proper Planing Prevents Piss Poor Performance.......

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulkstr8 View Post
    I like Mike overall and he did acknowledge the facts when I brought it up to him. I'm sure he'll get around to issuing a correction -or he should -but he's busy w/ his duties in the Air Force. However, I couldn't let it go either.

Yeah, I don't have an extra buttstock laying about. The constructive intent thing bugs me, but it's the law, because if you own multiple *rifles* are you not supposed to experiment and try new stocks? It's all bullshit.

I may have chosen some poor wording. Starting he was ignorant wasn’t my intent. I should have stated he does not know the laws or the interpretation of the ATF regulations.
    Proper Planing Prevents Piss Poor Performance.......

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    AFAIK, using a standard carbine buffer tube on a pistol is not illegal. The Thordsen Customs pistol buffer tube cover and cheek rest are specifically designed for AR pistols and use the standard buffer tube. Here's the link to the product, which also includes an AFT letter:
    http://www.thordsencustoms.com/frs-1...be-cover-kits/
    http://www.thordsencustoms.com/ar-ak...-saddle-black/

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Inkslinger View Post
    If you have money to buy or build NFA items, how is the price of a pistol RE too exorbitant when it can prevent any unwanted legal issues?
    It's not exorbitant, but I just don't like throwing away money. What am I going to do with the pistol tube if I convert to an sbr?

Also, I believe it still stands, it's perfectly legal to use a mil-spec tube. If you get in "trouble" it's because of the misapplication of the law.

If you want to do it to save a potential headache fine, but it's not illegal.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kerplode View Post
    Because for $50 you can largely prevent some ignorant traffic cop from tossing you in a holding cell and while his lieutenant discusses your setup with the ATF. Oh and also they stole your shit via asset forfeiture in the mean time so now you have to deal with that as well.

Don't give nosy cops places to stick their nosy noses...
    I agree it would be a headache, but I would be okay and eventually get my shit back. Also, I might be able to jam up dumb cops afterwards. It would be a headache though.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ColtSeavers View Post
    Completely agreed with intent being impossible to truly define, but the real take away is to just make sure at any given moment your pistol might be privy to others' attention, that it is in a legal configuration regardless.
    Good point.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ColtSeavers View Post
    If you at any time have a receiver extension attached to your AR pistol that is able to accept a butt stock and have access to a butt stock (spare laying about or even on another AR) that fits on it and get caught with both, it can be constructive intent and go straight to jail, do not pass go.
    The government has a specific definition of "constructive possession," and we would do well to understand it carefully. A good place to start is the Supreme Court opinion on United States vs. Thompson-Center Arms Co. Pay attention to the paragraph spanning pp.511-512.

The ATF ruling linked by ColtSeavers cites this section of the opinion, but takes it out of context to imply that "a pistol and attachable shoulder stock" in close proximity is considered an NFA firearm (pp.2-3). This is NOT the intent of the SCOTUS opinion. Nice job ATF trying to scare us....

I am no lawyer, though it is plain to see what the high court intended. As long as you keep parts in such a way that the rule of lenity applies (read the opinion), you have nothing to fear from the government.
    Last edited by bruin; 09-21-17 at 19:01.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bruin View Post
    The government has a specific definition of "constructive possession," and we would do well to understand it carefully. A good place to start is the Supreme Court opinion on United States vs. Thompson-Center Arms Co. Pay attention to the paragraph spanning pp.511-512.

The ATF ruling linked by ColtSeavers cites this section of the opinion, but takes it out of context to imply that "a pistol and attachable shoulder stock" in close proximity is considered an NFA firearm (pp.2-3). This is NOT the intent of the SCOTUS opinion. Nice job ATF trying to scare us....

I am no lawyer, though it is plain to see what the high court intended. As long as you keep parts in such a way that the rule of lenity applies (read the opinion), you have nothing to fear from the government.
    And this was the ATF's response to that ruling, which is what I was going off of.

http://www.atf.gov/files/regulations...ing-2011-4.pdf

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by militarymoron View Post
    AFAIK, using a standard carbine buffer tube on a pistol is not illegal. The Thordsen Customs pistol buffer tube cover and cheek rest are specifically designed for AR pistols and use the standard buffer tube. Here's the link to the product, which also includes an AFT letter:
    http://www.thordsencustoms.com/frs-1...be-cover-kits/
    http://www.thordsencustoms.com/ar-ak...-saddle-black/
    My understanding of the Thorsden is because there is a carbine receiver extension tube cover attached to the carbine receiver extension, that that precluded any other stock from being attached and was the reason why it's legal.

Quite unlike an unmodified carbine receiver extension.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast