Thread: Evolution of an ongoing Glock Project - An analysis

Feedback Score

Evolution of an ongoing Glock Project - An analysis

I haven't created a new thread in a while, but I have stayed busy with different projects.

This is an ongoing project that starting around 2010, and somewhat of a continuation of thread I started in 2011:
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...uot&highlight=

I’ve been shooting Glocks exclusively from 2009 competitively/recreationally and carry them daily. Since owning my first G19, I’ve experimented with grip reductions/grip work:
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...pg4&highlight=

And had the OEM slide have a catastrophic breech face failure: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...ack&highlight=.

I started to experiment with optics and compensators at the start of this year. The objective of this thread is to discuss the current configuration I have for this one particular G19 and logic for choosing the parts I have for it. I will go in detail from the grip work I have done to specifics of both OEM and aftermarket components in this gun. It’s worth noting that I also have other Glocks, and some are intentionally kept in mostly stock configurations to maintain proficiency in shooting “production” guns.

Objective was to make a gun that had capabilities from contact distance to 100 yards. That said, I find stock Glocks are 100 yd out the box. With this gun, I was looking for a configuration to make it easier to reach these capabilities. Ultimately, the optical sighting system, grip work, and refined trigger were the crucial components in reaching these goals. The G19 pretty much ended up as a Roland/Fauxland Special configuration. I am not a fan of flashy Gucci guns (ie: crazy paint jobs, crazy milled slides, etc). I prefer to keep it utilitarian and practical. To be honest, when I first saw the Roland guns come out, I thought they bordered being stupid/flashy. My opinion has changed since then.

Pros: Easy to shoot at distance (optic and compensator). Cons: Larger overall footprint when carrying, limitations with optic.

Prior G19 (with old frame). I still love this no-frills configuration. The frame has since been retired.

Frame:
    Started life as one of those limited Austrian imported Gen3 G19s during the panic season of early 2009 (pictured above). I find the Gen 3 guns more forgiving in terms of modifications (either functional due to simplified RSA, or frame work wise because of the thicker walls/plastic compared to Gen 4). The slide suffered a breech face failure and Glock replaced it with another slide. The original frame is still around, but has been retired from shooting as I used it as a test bed for grip work and reduction from 2010. The frame may have been stippled/re-stippled about 7 or 8 times and has thousands of rounds through it. It hasn’t failed structurally yet, but I felt the frame was no longer as resilient as a new/stock frame. I went ahead and ordered a new OEM replacement Gen 3 G19 frame.

I kept the top finger groove and removed the bottom for better leverage/fit for the grip. I did not re-contour/thin the trigger guard as I have in the past because I didn’t want the retention on some holsters to be affected. Forward flats were not added in this build because I did not find them absolutely necessary. I have textured the flats on my other guns, and may eventually do it for this one later on.

Texturing was done with an old soldering iron I’ve been using for the last 7 years. Textures is refined enough to carry without discomfort to skin and damaging to clothing. But it provides enough traction with the dish detergent test (soap on hands and grab the frame).

Mag release is a Vickers/Tango Down. Did not do a mag release beveled cut as the Vickers is the “perfect” height as is for me. Slide release is Vickers/Tang Down as well. Trigger is stock OEM G17 smooth faced trigger and Ghost Rocket connector hand fitted. I tried a buddy’s Overwatch flat faced trigger, but wasn’t a fan of it. I’ve had over 4K rounds with this OEM/Ghost trigger combination without issues. I then added a Raven Freya mag-well for reloads. Just large enough to help with reloads, small enough to not impede with carrying.

Slide/upper:
    This was a replacement OEM slide Glock sent after the original one had the breech face crack.

Replacement slide is holding up well 6 years later. I added the Dueck Defense RBU for the RMR vs milling the slide for several reasons.
    1. I didn’t want any permanent modifications to the slide for one specific optic in the event I decide to not use optics anymore.
    2. Having the optic on a mount also reduced direct heat transfer to the optic from the slide. To be fair, this is not really an issue on a semi-auto pistol though.
    3. Integrated front sight serves as a minor barrier/shield for the optic. Because the optic sits further back, the lens does not foul/get debris as much as more traditionally more forward slides.

Optic is Trijicon RMR RM09 1 MOA dot. I chose this model with precision in mind, although others would say the small dot is too hard to pick up in speed. Turning up the brightness makes it like a 2 MOA dot, which is a size I prefer.
    It is worth noting that the mount and optic adds more weight to the rear of the slide and gives a subjective feel of more recoil impulse to the rear (tried this on two different guns, Gen4 17 and this Gen 3 19). During this period, I ended up sourcing a new SilencerCo threaded barrel for $75. Primary Machine had released the Stealth comp around the same time and it was advertised to work with most 115 gr ammo. I went ahead and purchased one. It works well with the OEM stock RSA when shooting most 115 gr plinking ammo, but it does exhibits weaker ejection.

Gun with comp is now a G34 length. Muzzle flip reduction is most noticeable when shooting hotter ammo, such as Federal HST +P ammo. Because this comp works with most plinking ammo, it will not be as effective as other larger ported compensators. I was willing to make this compromise in order to shoot a wider range of ammo. I also did a slight modification to the Stealth Comp by smoothing off the bottom ledge of the comp as it was a little sharp when carrying without a light.

Hit it with some cold blue after:

Comp does get a little dirty after some shooting.

Top profile of the slide/barrel/comp

Flashlight is a TLR 1 I’ve had for a while that works well enough for the money.

Observations: I have close to 3000 rounds on this particular configuration right now (and about 4000 rounds shooting with a RMR). It balances fairly well and shooting at distance has become much easier. Following groups are shot from the standing, unsupported position with PMC Bronze 115gr. There were reports that the SiCo barrels were not that accurate, but they’re not too bad from my experience.
    25 yd group:

50 yd group:

100 yd group:

Part II below.
    Last edited by Kilo 1-1; 09-22-17 at 03:06.

Feedback Score
    Now pictures of the gun currently as of Sept 2017:

Drawing from holster and finding the dot took repetition. I find shooting with a red dot made me more honest about my consistency with draw stroke and grip. Current carry holster I have for it is the CNC Keroman. The light does not make it a comfortable gun to carry, so most times I end up removing the TLR 1 and carry the gun in the Raven Eidolon in AIWB. For range use, I modified an old Safariland holster to work with the gun.

Keroman:

Eidolon:

Safariland (Bastardized):

Conclusion: This is a fun gun to shoot, but not as “fun” to carry because of the larger size. In my opinion, the added components and enhancements do help stretch the capabilities of this gun (especially at distane). So the million dollar question is if it this was “all worth it?” Yes and no, as the value is dependent on what the shooter wants. As with my other project, this gun may continue to evolve. Side note: I like stock G19s as well and carry them quite a bit as well.

Final picture for comparison: Project gun vs Stock.

I'm open to any feedback /questions.
    Last edited by Kilo 1-1; 09-22-17 at 03:09.

Feedback Score
    Wow! Congrats, thanks for the info.

Feedback Score
    125 (100%)
    To each their own, but the bottom G19 is all I would need or want.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    We used to just call those 'Open guns'.

Never thought a comp, an optic, and a magwell would be a popular set of mods on a Glock 19. I used to get all kinds of funny looks shooting a stock 19 in USPSA years ago.

I like it.

And by the way, your stippling is bad-ass.

Feedback Score
    I am transitioning to a g-19 (g23 conversion) and think I will likely end up with half a Roland - no comp, threaded barrel, maybe magwell, but rmr is happening in November.

Thanks for sharing, always like to see how people end up with their mods and shooting well with them.
    Sure as hell beats "it looks cool on instagram".
    Last edited by MegademiC; 09-23-17 at 09:16.

Feedback Score
    Thanks fellas. This is pretty much an open gun as mentioned above.... and it's part of the reason why I thought it was kind of dumb when this configuration first came out. Prior to this project, most open guns I've seen/played with were full sized guns and not medium sized ones. This is still fun to shoot, but barely "compact enough" to carry concealed as needed. I've also become more accurate shooting irons. Shooting with a red dot has kept me honest as the dot will let me know if I pulled a shot or not.

The biggest enhancement for me is the optic. Subjectively, it changed how I shot handguns and helped me push the potential of the gun. Everything else I added is optional and I could do without if I had to restrict options.

Funny instagram is mentioned, as I don't have an account, I'm not trendy enough ha. There's no crazy paint job colors on this gun here to qualify it for "instahoe."
    Last edited by Kilo 1-1; 09-23-17 at 00:32.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Excellent write up, enjoyed reading it. Probably going to do that with my G17. IDR what tip did you use for the stippling? Thanks!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    Excellent write up, enjoyed reading it. Probably going to do that with my G17. IDR what tip did you use for the stippling? Thanks!
    Thanks, I used the pointy tip that came with the soldering iron. I've had to resharpen/re-profile it with a file over the years to keep it sharp and defined.

Feedback Score
    Cool project! Thanks for sharing