Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Falling In Love with the AK, Losing that Loving Feeling for

Feedback Score

Falling In Love with the AK, Losing that Loving Feeling for

My AR and Tavor.

I didn't like the idea of owning an AK, 'cause all the Alah Akbar stuff, but in a beer induced moment combined with a sale & rebate email, I purchase a Yugo/Zastava AK.

Figured it would be negligent of me not to own the most used rifle platform out there today, and hey, the Galil and Sig (something) still use the same design, along with Russia

Really enjoying the thing. Its design is soo simple ... not many parts to it and few that actually move

Last night went to the indoor range and shot from a chair and the barrel resting on my range bag. Have a red dot with the RS receiver mount and shot a 3 round group with 2 holes touching and the third about a half inch away. Only 25 yards, but still, that's solid.

Definitely has changed my opinion 100% about the platform ... it's not a sharp shooter, but I'm appreciating it for its inherent design simplicity and subsequent reliablity

Anyone else feeling a bit 'converted?' by the AK?
    Last edited by PattonWasRight; 09-22-17 at 09:28.
    * Just Your Average Jewish Redneck *
    Participant in Year-Long Gun Fighting Training Program
    Competition Shooter in NRA, CMP, IDPA
    Past part-time sales at national firearms retailer, Never came close to breaking even!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I never looked at firearms by who the users were. The firearm doesn't know the difference, it's just metal/wood/plastic. Just like we say it's the user not the gun when talking about gun violence.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I love AK's also, but they would never replace an AR. Including my 2 Galils(one Ace and a classic IMI) I have about 7 total in 5.45 and 7.62...Its like booze. I like beer. But I also like wine

Feedback Score
    I've always found the bane of the AK was poor ComBloc quality control or crappy US-made 922-R compliant parts. As long as you avoid those pitfalls and inspect the weapon for canted sights, loose rivets, or other issues prior to purchase then the AK is a solid platform.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I like that old saying, in as far as it relates to a longish distance that you may be engaging the rifle at:

"If you can't hit it with an AK ... you can't kill it with an AR."

Admittedly heavier 5.56 bullets surely are changing that paradigm some. I do have a sporter Saiga ... haven't done the trigger group repositioning yet, and while accurate and well made, I too believe the AR to be the superior platform - in today's configuration(s).

But as far as that 'old AK design' in putting a capable battle rifle into the hands of NDNs and conscripts ... GENIUS!
    Given that 10-shots are a group and 5-shots may be a favorable trend ... know that just one good 3-shot group can make you an instant internet superstar!

Feedback Score
    I started buying AK's in the early '90's because they were a better value than AR's. I paid $180 for my first one. At the same time, new AR15's were $800+. Now I think that AR15's are a better value. Regardless, I like them both.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    I started buying AK's in the early '90's because they were a better value than AR's. I paid $180 for my first one. At the same time, new AR15's were $800+. Now I think that AR15's are a better value. Regardless, I like them both.
    I agree. It seems prices have flip-flopped over the years.

Another thing to keep in mind is that AK's are HEAVY. If you ever have to hump the bush or bug out with one or the other you will instantly appreciate the AR. AK rifles are heavy, the ammo is heavy, and the mags are heavy. As you get older you will get to the point that you'd rather lug around the lighter AR than the AK.

Just food for thought.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Glockster View Post

Another thing to keep in mind is that AK's are HEAVY. If you ever have to hump the bush or bug out with one or the other you will instantly appreciate the AR. AK rifles are heavy, the ammo is heavy, and the mags are heavy. As you get older you will get to the point that you'd rather lug around the lighter AR than the AK.

Just food for thought.
    I've done that hiking in the PA mountains just to see what it was like. Tried, AR, several AKs, RPK and FAL.

FAL and RPK obviously being the two heaviest did get old having to hike up a steep hill covered with rocks for half hour. The AR & AK weren't bad. Overall the AR was obviously lighter but nothing terribly noticable.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    I've done that hiking in the PA mountains just to see what it was like. Tried, AR, several AKs, RPK and FAL.

FAL and RPK obviously being the two heaviest did get old having to hike up a steep hill covered with rocks for half hour. The AR & AK weren't bad. Overall the AR was obviously lighter but nothing terribly noticable.

How old are you? When I hit 45 years old I decided lugging the AK and all the associated gear was just crazy and needlessly fatiguing.

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Glockster View Post

Just food for thought.
    My VEPR with a loaded mag and optic is 10lbs, its not the first rifle I would grab if i wanted to hike for long. That being said I love that rifle.
    Last edited by VIP3R 237; 09-22-17 at 14:07.
    I paint spaceship parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Stippled Glocks are like used underwear; previous owner makes all the difference in value.

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast