Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does this dented brass look okay?

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

Does this dented brass look okay?

So the back story here is that we have a Remington 7615P that is utilized as a patrol rifle. It uses standard AR magazines and we recently switched to Federal Tactical Bonded 64 gr .223 as our duty round. We previously used Hornady TAP 55gr .223. Since the switch we've been experiencing dented cases on the top rounds of the magazines. We had been using 10 round PMAG M3s and began to theorize that the steeper angle didn't mesh well with the 7615P but when we switched back to aluminum magazines we got the same result. Below are some pictures of the damaged cases. To me is looks like one might even be showing slight set back. I guess the bottom line is, is it safe to continue to use these dented round? And, has anyone else had this issue with this ammo? It seems to be specific to the 7615P as this is not showing up on the Colt LE6920s.

In this image the one in the center is the one I'm concerned about set back with. You can see that the round on the left is also dented.

This is the one that was in the center

Here it is again

And one more

Feedback Score
    It's a dent and not a crease. It's good to go.
    kwg

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    It will blow out five, so long as a paperclip won't catch on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Decent load. That quantity of dings and setback are safe for practice, get new for duty. Transition out of your 7615s if you can.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    Decent load. That quantity of dings and setback are safe for practice, get new for duty. Transition out of your 7615s if you can.
    Agreed on the 7615s, but its a shared rifle for those who aren't qualified for one of the individually issued 6920s and aren't comfortable with the 870s. Their existence comes from on high.

Moving the dented ones to training means we would probably burn through one or two of these, I believe over $1 per round, rounds per day.

Maybe this will be the nail in their really odd coffin. The lower ranking firearms instructor wants to ditch these things in the worst way. Is it possible that these rounds just have particularly soft brass?

Thanks for the info everyone.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    How exactly are these dents occurring?

During mag insertion or chambering?

Is the 10 round mag loaded full?
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)
    The dents occur whether the magazine has 10 or 8 rounds in it. It seems to occur during insertion. The only way I could make it happen was by SLAMMING the magazine in. Like, pain in the hand slamming. I guess this is the way they want them to do it in order to avoid under insertion. The thing about cops, and you may have noticed this, it tends to be all or nothing. Oh well, the plan is to replace as dented. It's not really my issue, but I just wanted to be sure that no one was going to get KBed if they had to fire that thing. Thanks everyone.

Feedback Score
    So long as you can still see the cannelure at the case mouth, the bullet setback is nothing to worry about.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    It's fine. I have fire formed much worse, and it still shot nice groups.

Feedback Score
    That brass is fine for practice. As long as it doesn't have a "fold" in the debt that is well defined and sharp, it will fire-form. It may be more prone to malfunction, accuracy degradation, or any number of issues. Use it for practice and not defensive use or duty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast