Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone. see the 30 cal Hornady ELD (not Match) their hunting version in stock?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Anyone. see the 30 cal Hornady ELD (not Match) their hunting version in stock?

As you may know, they make a match bullet and a hunting version. I can't find the 225 ELD hunter??? I have always run 200 grain Accubonds, but we shot some 225 ELD at 2933 fps out of my 300WM. And they THUMPED they steel in a very angry way. Made me think..

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    There is no hesitation , I’m looking for the bullet.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    found the bullets, problem solved.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Pappabear - Have you had any experience with the 308 178gr ELD-X ammo? I bought a couple of boxes to see how it shoots out of my Rem 5R 20". I sighted it in with SSA 165gr Accubond and the best groups I got were right at an inch. So I figured I'd try the ELD-X to see what that does.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    We rarely shoot factory ammo. So to answer for Pappabear.. no.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Watrdawg View Post
    Pappabear - Have you had any experience with the 308 178gr ELD-X ammo? I bought a couple of boxes to see how it shoots out of my Rem 5R 20". I sighted it in with SSA 165gr Accubond and the best groups I got were right at an inch. So I figured I'd try the ELD-X to see what that does.
    Mark already answered, but they should shoot flatter given you don't lose velocity.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I knew y'all mostly shoot handloads and should have phrased my question along those lines with that bullet. Thanks for the reply!

Feedback Score
    204 (100%)
    I shoot both the 200gr accubonds and 200gr ELDX pills out of my 300wm. They are both under an inch shooter. My rifle still likes the accubonds better for whatever reason. .56 inch 5 round groups with 77grs of h1000 at 2960 fps. This was the sweet spot in my rifle for accuracy. The ELDX in this same load was a tad faster at 2990 but didn't overlap rounds like the accubonds did. With some more time I may play around with a few more loads on the ELDX to get it up to 3k+ but it's hard to beat those accubonds. The same load shot well under moa still out at 700.

I do however use the 200 gr ELDX 300 short mag factory ammo and that shoots about .8 moa groups out of the box. Best factory round I have found for the 300 short to date in this rifle.

Overall they seem to be a good performer. I have yet to take game with the ELDX but wouldn't heaistate to use them if the opportunity was there.
    Philippians 4:13

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Once I got them ordered I realized the hunting bullet is a 220 grain not 225, not that it matters. If I can get 2900 fps out of 220’s , that would be a wind beater. I would only change to have a hunter load that had better BC and only for wind.

You don’t always get a second shot to correct for wind up in the mountains

PB

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwknutson17 View Post
    I shoot both the 200gr accubonds and 200gr ELDX pills out of my 300wm. They are both under an inch shooter. My rifle still likes the accubonds better for whatever reason. .56 inch 5 round groups with 77grs of h1000 at 2960 fps. This was the sweet spot in my rifle for accuracy. The ELDX in this same load was a tad faster at 2990 but didn't overlap rounds like the accubonds did. With some more time I may play around with a few more loads on the ELDX to get it up to 3k+ but it's hard to beat those accubonds. The same load shot well under moa still out at 700.

I do however use the 200 gr ELDX 300 short mag factory ammo and that shoots about .8 moa groups out of the box. Best factory round I have found for the 300 short to date in this rifle.

Overall they seem to be a good performer. I have yet to take game with the ELDX but wouldn't heaistate to use them if the opportunity was there.
    Jwk, good info. We are very similar in our loads.

Our 200 grain Accubond load is 76grains H1000 with Norma brass win large rifle primers. Like you it's half inch gun but we where getting slightly over 3000fps if I remember correctly. The last load of H1000 was not as hot but I have some ammo from older hotter lot, and our other reloading buddy got some less hot our than our load ( possible). Could be gun too.

When Mark loaded the 225's with 75 grains of H1000 , RWS brass, he had to muscle the bullet in. Ultra compressed load. That damn RWS brass is tuff stuff. Wish I had 200 more fresh pieces.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast