Thread: Testing of 6.5 Creedmoor 140 ELD-M

Feedback Score

Testing of 6.5 Creedmoor 140 ELD-M

I was at a recent local LE testing and ballistics demo put on by Hornady. Ammunition was fired into 10% gelatin blocks and I was not all that impressed by most of the results from pistol and rifle ammo. There seems to be a big push for penetration/barrier blind ammo but little expansion. We did not change over to any Hornady ammo.

I did note in the hand out LE / TAP catalog they gave us there was a 6.5 Creedmoor 140 ELD-M loading in the TAP line, which I did not know about. We had just tested 168 AMAX, which was decent, but I got to thinking about that 6.5 Creedmoor loading. Is it the same as the normal Hornady 6.5 140 ELD-M loading in a different box? That is some of the most accurate factory ammo I have ever shot.

I asked the rep if he had any 6.5 Creedmoor 140 ELD-M to test but he did not. I told him I had a Ruger Precision in my vehicle and some ammo and asked to shoot a block. The ammo does 2700 fps from my rifle and I didnt know what to expect on bare gelatin (all the metal and auto glass was already shot up).

The round fragmented in half an inch as expected, but the wound channel was larger than the 168 AMAX. It was large enough temporary cavity that the large block was torn open. While the recovered weight was miniscule, penetration was 15" and I can only assume it would increase with less velocity at range. Makes me wonder what the 120 ELD-M would do.

Anyway, does anyone know of any 6.5 Creedmoor 140 ELD-M testing I can research? Surely someone has to have tested it if it is on the TAP product line. It was one of the only loads in the catalog that did not have ballistic testing results.

Feedback Score
    I'm interested in this as well. I haven't found anything on 6.5 creedmoor thermal ballistics with barriers. We are shooting 150gr Speer gold dot, so I want to see how it compares.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DevL View Post
    I was at a recent local LE testing and ballistics demo put on by Hornady. Ammunition was fired into 10% gelatin blocks and I was not all that impressed by most of the results from pistol and rifle ammo. There seems to be a big push for penetration/barrier blind ammo but little expansion. We did not change over to any Hornady ammo.
    Sorry I can not help with your Creedmoor question but your opening sentence quoted above got my attention. What exactly were you expecting to see? Was the gelatin properly calibrated? Did the ammunition penetrate and expand to FBI standard (if that was the objective)? What ammunition was tested? Why were you not impressed?