Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: Sports now fully engaged in politics

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    I sense some frustration there. LOL

I'm also kind of frustrated. Here in the heartland, the Bible Belt if you would, I have a daughter who is a gifted stringed bass player. Throughout her middle school and high school years she was in the state honors orchestra every year, she did the same with her solos. She's also a gifted athlete, her sport is swimming. League champion in several events every year. Currently she is attending college on music and swimming scholarships. She's a pretty good kid who was scared to walk to school by herself because of assholes calling her 'ni**er. At school, she's been taunted by white kids, and scorned by blacks, either because she's biracial and therefore not black enough, or because she's a Tom. (I always thought that it would be funny, and appropriate, if she had unloaded on the skinny black girls who gave her shit and shoved her around, my daughter is an animal in the gym) I've been to numerous houses explaining to folks that I don't appreciate the way they, or their kids, have treated my daughter. Somehow, when it is a big hulking white dude doing the talking instead of a scared black girl, it always was a joke, or a misunderstanding.

So, I'm f#$cking tired of it also.

Look up 'ethnocentricity.' We all have it, some more than others. I've raised 3 black kids and I like to think I'm fairly honest. I'll admit that in a group setting I gravitate toward white folks unless I have a bond of some sort with the members of the group who are other races.

In early America, the Irish and the Italian immigrants, fellow Caucasians, were scorned and treated like shit. Eventually, they dispersed, lost their accents, and melded into America. Skin pigment hasn't allowed that to happen with other groups.

We are less that 55 years out from the 'end' of segregation in the United States. As far as I'm concerned, there are still too many folks around who would drain their swimming pool and start over if they knew a black had been in it. Most of you aren't that way, but to deny it is perpetuating a falsehood.

None of the above excuses baby mama's, absent fathers, or violence.
    I believe you alluded to it, but it cuts both ways. Whites certainly do not hold a monopoly on racism/prejudice. In fact, I'd wager that blacks dislike whites at least as much or more than whites dislike blacks (percentage-wise of their respective populations). Doesn't make it right, but this constant beating of the drum about "whites are so racist" gets old. Blacks, Asians, and Hispanics are afflicted too but the popular myth about whites is perpetuated non-stop.

As for the racial slurs against your daughter it is totally unacceptable in any form by anyone regardless of their skin color and who they're saying it to. I don't believe in double standards (yet many do apparently).
    Last edited by ABNAK; 09-27-17 at 15:01.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by skywalkrNCSU View Post
    No one cares about disrespecting the flag until someone has a message they don’t like. We have been disrespecting the flag and the national anthem for years. So many times the flag code is blatantly broken but no one cares, so many times people are ordering beers and hot dogs while the anthem is playing, so many times people at home are sitting on their couch. No one cares.

People suddenly care because someone is taking a knee in a very peaceful way because he wanted to speak out about racial issues in this country. Everyone around here yells and screams when protests are disruptive by blocking traffic or the like and say those people need to protest in a less disruptive and peaceful way. Now a guy is doing just that and you bring out some bs about he is disrespecting this country, the troops, the flag, or whatever kind of crap you want to say when in reality you just don’t like what he is talking about.

Protesting is one of the most American things you can do. In order to have a protest accomplish anything it has to be somewhat disruptive. If someone protests where no one can see or hear then it is pointless. What Kaepernick and others did by taking a knee is one of the least disruptive and disrespectful ways you can possibly protest and instead all these right wing snowflakes lose their minds. You can’t say you love America and disagree with someone protesting at the same time. Sure it can’t protect them from being fired, and it shouldn’t, but to act like it goes against what this country stands for is total crap.

Protesting doesn’t mean you hate this country, it means you love this country and want to make it better. Forcing people to be blindly patriotic and refusing to admit that there are issues in this country that need addressing isn’t freedom, that is closer to fascism.

I don’t personally care about the protests but I see where they are coming from and respect their right to do so, especially when it doesn’t change my life in the slightest. Anyone here who rails against outrage culture and is in turn outraged at such a tame protest needs to take a hard look in the mirror because hypocrisy isn’t limited to the left.
    Maybe if people would engage in a more nuanced debate, as opposed to stepping hard on the gas to full retard, something could be accomplished.

I mean BOTH sides.

But I'll tell you what, I'm tired of being called racist because of how I look. Or who I vote for. Or...you name it.

I'm tired of hearing about a "good dude" who just "took a knee for awareness ", yet wears openly che' tshirts while claiming he loves his country and being an American. Or says he wants to open a dialogue about police ...then wears socks with pigs dressed in police unis.

Forgive me if I've lost the general faith in this dude.

The guy that was choked and killed for selling looseys, in NYC...now his family deserves some $$$. Selling cigarettes for 25c and loses his life? And at the hands of black cops.

Freddie gray... black cops.

Philando Castille...Hispanic cop.

You cannot make it a nuanced argument if you aren't honest to begin with

Current beef.....white ppl and white cops.

Yeah, I get that they may have a point. But When they poll these latest protesters for voters, they don't find any. So they'll block the street all the way to the ballot box but Won't go in to vote.

"I've just got like, this 5.56 okay? And it's 55 grain ball. And everybody I've ever seen shot with it, it dicks them up."

---Clint Smith
    Thunder Ranch

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    I believe you alluded to it, but it cuts both ways. Whites certainly do not hold a monopoly on racism/prejudice. In fact, I'd wager that blacks dislike whites at least as much or more than whites dislike blacks (percentage-wise of their respective populations). Doesn't make it right, but this constant beating of the drum about "whites are so racist" gets old. Blacks, Asians, and Hispanics are afflicted too but the popular myth about whites is perpetuated non-stop.

As for the racial slurs against your daughter it is totally unacceptable in any form by anyone regardless of their skin color and who they're saying it to. I don't believe in double standards (yet many do apparently).
    I agree with ABNAK 100% on both points.

I grew up in a city and went to schools with a high percentage of blacks. In my experience they are by far the most racist group of people I've ever been around....hands down! For what ever reasons, it doesn't matter, "most" are what they are. If you didn't go to school in a city with a large percentage of them you have no idea what "most" of them are like. We didn't give ("most") them their bad image, they rightfully earned it.

I'm definitely not a racist, I'm a realist, I've lived it. Being part of the "White Flight Movement" out of the city to a suburb/rural area. Our school district has very few blacks. However, they're a lot more respectful then their city counter parts. They're generally not a problem out here. Might be because they're only about 2/2.5% of the pop. and we have some good ole boys straight off the farm!

26 Inf, as far as people saying bad things to your daughters, that's unacceptable. I've never said anything to or about anyone that didn't do or say something to me or that I wasn't mad at. Then I was prepared for the repercussions. I never picked on girls in anyway....my dad would've killed me. I won't even argue with a road rage woman....just won't do it.

NYH1.

ROLLTIDE!
    NYSRPA Member.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I've said racist shit, I've been racist. Out of anger, or just being dumb. There's no excuse for it, it's just a character weakness that needs dealt with. I still deal with it. What to say what not to say, why do I think that about another person, or why am I mad at someone else's culture? Dumb shit.

I'm always entertained though by people though who go out of their way to say how not racist, or attempt to show how accepting they are, like Liberals. Being real is just the only way to be. Right or wrong.

And anyone who claims not to be a racist, yet has done the whole "Din do nuffin wrong" excerpt on a page, do some self evaluation.
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post

You are disillusioned at best if you feel if the level of prejudice towards whites is anywhere on the same level of prejudice faced by blacks in America. Racism either way is unacceptable, but one has to look at the severity. That just can't be reasoned with.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by foxtrotx1 View Post
    You are disillusioned at best if you feel if the level of prejudice towards whites is anywhere on the same level of prejudice faced by blacks in America. That just can't be reasoned with.
    And if you think it is that way you are either being delusional, intentionally obtuse, or flat-out lying. Cry me a freaking river......
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415