Thread: Traveling thru CO with ARs/Glocks and HiCap Mags... Legal or No?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Traveling thru CO with ARs/Glocks and HiCap Mags... Legal or No?

What are the laws regarding travelers driving thru CO wit ARs & Glocks and HiCap mags... is this illegal to drive through or is their any provision to their laws that protect you while traveling through the state?
    "First gett'n shot, then gett'n married... baaaad habits"

"If you're gonna subscribe to hero worship, at least worship a real hero."
    M4Guru

Gal 2:20

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Firearm Owner Protection Act:

"Transportation of firearms. Under FOPA, notwithstanding any state or local law, a person is entitled to transport a firearm from any place where he or she may lawfully possess such firearm to any other place where he or she may lawfully possess it, if the firearm is unloaded and locked out of reach."
    -NRA
    "All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke

"It is better to be thought a fool and to remain silent, than to speak and remove all doubt." -Abraham Lincoln

Feedback Score
    72 (100%)
    Besides the FOPA, in case you want to stay over, glocks and ARs are legal in Colorado. And any mags over 15rds owned prior to July 2013 are also legal.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    How does one prove mag ownership date?

Thanks ALL
    "First gett'n shot, then gett'n married... baaaad habits"

"If you're gonna subscribe to hero worship, at least worship a real hero."
    M4Guru

Gal 2:20

Feedback Score
    Dude. You are coming in town and didn't tell me?

The law is bonkers. Not a lawyer, but the burden of proof to prove the are illegal is on the LEO. Burden of guilt should always be on the prosecution, but most mag laws make all mags illegal, but with the affirmative defense that if you can prove you meet criteria, that you are let go. The prosecution needs to prove that the mag is not owned by you before the date. Pretty much that means a date stamp after the date as far as I can see.

Beyond the FOPA for travel, for out of state people I'm not really sure, since I think there is something about the mag being in possession in Colorado.

The reality is the law is really hard to enforce. You should be cool, as long as you don't get out of line like you did last time and we had to kick you out. This ain't Texas, we have standards.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    72 (100%)
    Besides the date stamp on the mag, you don’t. The law says the burden of proof is on the state to prove it.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Nobody really pays attention to that law. Unless you're staying in Denver or Boulder, I prob wouldn't worry about it. Burden of proof is on the state, so unless you show up with something stamped with a born on date after 7/13 there's no way to prove one way or another.

The other option is to stop at the first dispensary you get to, buy a stack of pre-rolls, and stuff a couple in each mag. Presto-changeo, now you can head to Denver or Boulder in confidence with your shiny new joint cases!

*I'm not a lawyer and none of the above should be considered legal advice.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    oops...

Feedback Score
    I have close associates in SW Colorado in Montezuma and Dolores Counties, and they say the Sheriffs in the rural areas think the mag law is a joke, and won't even address it. Even if it was a chance to stack charges for other crimes, they won't even bother with it. Now it's probably different in Leftist areas like Boulder, as noted above.
    Maj. USAR (Ret) 160th SOAR, 2/17 CAV
    NRA Life Member
    Black Mesa Ranch. Raising Fine Cattle and Horses in San Miguel County since 1879

Feedback Score
    72 (100%)
    What has not been stated is that any disassembled magazine is consider a “rebuilder kit” and is legal to possess no matter the date stamp.

You can also restrict any magazine to 15rds by any means you like, like stuffing with paper towels, wood block, magblock, very small rocks, a script from a Monty Python movie, etc. This would qualify for the law as long as a 16th round doesn’t fit in it. The magazine does not have to be pinned or permanently modified and can be reconfigured back to normal after you reach free territory again.

Enjoy your travels.

*none of the above is legal advice.