Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Sports now fully engaged in politics

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I mostly tuned out when Bob Costas went full retard in a Sunday night football anti-gun rant back in 2012. Then when the NFL failed to send wife beaters, kid beaters and a bunch of criminals packing over my occasional viewing of the NFL really started to diminish. The latest stunts have pretty much sealed the deal that I won't watch another NFL game again. They have the right to do it, but I also have the right to not participate.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    I mostly tuned out when Bob Costas went full retard in a Sunday night football anti-gun rant back in 2012. Then when the NFL failed to send wife beaters, kid beaters and a bunch of criminals packing over my occasional viewing of the NFL really started to diminish. The latest stunts have pretty much sealed the deal that I won't watch another NFL game again. They have the right to do it, but I also have the right to not participate.
    The NFL has gone dramatically downhill in many ways since Goodell took over. There's more penalties, too many rules, the style of play has changed dramatically and become very one dimensional.

Now they throw politics into it. The NFL, which was generally known for being a more conservative league for a long time, has now become yet one of an infinite number of stages for the leftist evangelism.

It says a lot that they let wife beaters, rapists, and other violent criminals play, but God forbid you play with slightly deflated balls (I say that, and I'm a Patriots-hating Jets fan!). Also, it makes no sense that the suspension for being one's wife is pretty much the same as smoking weed. I'm sorry, but there IS a difference.

Goodell needs to take a long walk off a short pier.
    Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not.-Ben Franklin

there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it’s worth fighting for.-Samwise Gamgee

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    If the NFL survives, the Goodell years will be known as the NFL's "Dark Ages".
    What if this whole crusade's a charade?
    And behind it all there's a price to be paid
    For the blood which we dine
    Justified in the name of the holy and the divine…

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    I watch and like the NFL. I support the player's right to kneel during the anthem. I don't like it, but it's their right. I'd support the owners if they chose to fire/suspend players for poorly representing their team. I don't appreciate the president getting involved because he only encourages them and legitimizes their protest as a true free speech issue now.

I, and many other Marines/Sailors/Soldiers/Airmen that I served with, used to race as fast as we could to get in doors or in a car in order to avoid "colors". What does that say about our servicemen and women?

p.s. Alejandro Villanueva is a badass and is the only Steeler with balls. Derek Wolfe is another to truly take a "stand" for what is right. Again, I support their right to kneel and it won't stop me from watching, but I cheer for those standing.

IF they wanted to do a protest that mattered....they wouldnt play.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I would guess that most NFL viewers are center to right politically, middle class and blue collar.
    If I am correct, I believe the already dwindling numbers of viewers and stadium attendance will drop even lower than they are now.
    This is the equivalent of betting that if you cut your own nose off you won't be "too" ugly. It serves little purpose and in the end it will result in harming the NFL.
    So be it.
    If you are so out of touch with your consumer base you have little chance of success and you are nearly guaranteed to fail.
    We have embraced a falsehood if we have ever thought of these players as hero's.
    The NFL could have and should have handled this much, much better.

Feedback Score
    The problem is the NFL has been for decades about playing ball, sticking to approved on-field messages (if any), and try to keep the focus on the game. That all went out the window with Kaepernick. Why is this the one issue that the players are allowed to so divisively practice? This isn't a freedom of speech issue. They are at work, and they all know that the NFL messaging is tightly controlled.

The NFL could have really done something positive here. Make the National Anthem mandatory and a unifying event and work outside of the game to make a difference in communities. The NFL is one of the few corp/society entities that reach from the inner-cities to influential people of all political stripes- or at least it used to be.

What I want to see is someone do something else for another cause and that get shut down. They already dissed the DFW cops.

If I were the Bear's McCaskey, I'd tell the players that they wear MY uniform and that is MY father's initials on your arm and you WILL stand for the Anthem or you will not wear the uniform at all. There is a High School somewhere that needs a coach.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HeruMew View Post
    But, I knew for certain that day:
    There is a time, a place, a situation where ALL people feel slighted by their government. Short of Tyrannical, Anarchy, or Hate, it is an American's right to Freedom of Speech. It is an American's right to Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness. Ultimately, is their statement impacting people? I don't mean in the feels, I mean really impacting anyone?
    Quote Originally Posted by HeruMew View Post
    TL;DR: I get why they're doing it. It is their American Right to do so as they choose. I just wish it wasn't happening over something so stupid like the NFL.
    Kinda. As American's we only have protection of free speech from our government. The first amendment doesn't protect you from an employer our other institutions.

The NFL and/or the teams have every right to tell the players they have to stand for the national anthem just like the NBA DOES and enforces. As previously mentioned, one would think with the ownerships and fan bases the NFL and MLB would have such a policy, not the NBA, but hey, good for them.

NYH1.

ROLLTIDE!
    NYSRPA Member.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by NYH1 View Post
    Kinda. As American's we only have protection of free speech from our government. The first amendment doesn't protect you from an employer our other institutions.

The NFL and/or the teams have every right to tell the players they have to stand for the national anthem just like the NBA DOES and enforces. As previously mentioned, one would think with the ownerships and fan bases the NFL and MLB would have such a policy, not the NBA, but hey, good for them.

NYH1.
    I agree and do not debate nor contest that point.

Feedback Score
    125 (100%)
    Many of the black sports stars say they are so concerned about police brutality, but now all of a sudden its just against anything Trump, yet none of them say boo about, or protest all the black on black murders in Chicago every week and in other cities across this nation. Many of the black inner city families have been broken and fatherless for decades, letting the streets and the goofy ass gangsta thug lifestyle take their young men way before their time.

Feedback Score

Sports now fully engaged in politics

Quote Originally Posted by LowSpeed_HighDrag View Post
    I watch and like the NFL. I support the player's right to kneel during the anthem. I don't like it, but it's their right. I'd support the owners if they chose to fire/suspend players for poorly representing their team. I don't appreciate the president getting involved because he only encourages them and legitimizes their protest as a true free speech issue now.

I, and many other Marines/Sailors/Soldiers/Airmen that I served with, used to race as fast as we could to get in doors or in a car in order to avoid "colors". What does that say about our servicemen and women?

p.s. Alejandro Villanueva is a badass and is the only Steeler with balls. Derek Wolfe is another to truly take a "stand" for what is right. Again, I support their right to kneel and it won't stop me from watching, but I cheer for those standing.

IF they wanted to do a protest that mattered....they wouldnt play.
    Agree with the last part for sure. I hang out with a black dude who said the same thing. Give up that 20 mil so we know you're serious.

"I've just got like, this 5.56 okay? And it's 55 grain ball. And everybody I've ever seen shot with it, it dicks them up."

---Clint Smith
    Thunder Ranch
    Last edited by JC5188; 09-26-17 at 03:55.

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast