Thread: F/A-18 Upgrades?

Feedback Score

F/A-18 Upgrades?

Was there a big program to upgrade the Hornets? I've seen some recent airshow footage and one had it configured with two Sidewinders on the wing tips but six AMRAAMs (2x3) under the wings. The Hornet was also seemed a lot more maneuverable than in past videos? Doing nearly the half-loop with the flip at the top and the 'Cobra' like move that the Russian planes do. The aerobatics were by a Swiss version, and someone posted that they had gotten new software that really added maneuverability, especially post stall. Maybe based on NASA aero studies in early 2000s.

Have the Super Hornets been getting some trick updates?
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    When I first saw this thread, I thought you BOUGHT an FA-18 and wanted to know how to upgrade it.

Personally if the they ever cautioned off planes I would buy an A-10. I think they would be fairly easy to fly and economical for a civilian to own.
    Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery

Feedback Score
    I have a bad gear fetish problem, but not that bad. that I'd get a F-18, and then have to trick it out. I have a T-28, but it is made out of styrofoam and a foot long and with out the electronics to save my tail, I'd have crashed it already.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by turnburglar View Post
    When I first saw this thread, I thought you BOUGHT an FA-18 and wanted to know how to upgrade it.

Personally if the they ever cautioned off planes I would buy an A-10. I think they would be fairly easy to fly and economical for a civilian to own.
    Hellcat for me, bro

"I've just got like, this 5.56 okay? And it's 55 grain ball. And everybody I've ever seen shot with it, it dicks them up."

---Clint Smith
    Thunder Ranch

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    I don't know about "trick" upgrades, but most fighter types that go to airshows generally do far more aerobatic maneuvers than standard footage reveals (save for combat ops).

However, in the case of the F/A-18E and F versions, it's pretty much a completely new aircraft that just happens to resemble the original Hornet. Larger, weighs more and has several design features that improve on the basic design. It's pretty hard to call it the same Legacy Fighter like it's original Hornet sisters. Long story short, McDonnell-Douglas (and later Boeing) sold it to Congress as an evolution to the legacy aircraft that had a lot of parts in common. Far easier and economical than saying "We built a new fighter, please buy it." And since they needed a replacement to the F-14 series, it was bought.

As for the additional AIM-120s being carried, being that it replaced the F-14, it's now considered the prime fleet defense interceptor replacing the Tomcat in that role. So, it's likely going to carry more extended range missiles for that mission.

Here's a neat pic of a legacy F/A-18C carrying 10 (yep, 10) AMRAAMs. I wouldn't imagine why the larger Super Hornet couldn't do the same.

Experience is a cruel teacher, gives the exam first and then the lesson.