Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Silencer not quiet on ARs

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Silencer not quiet on ARs

I have shot suppressed ARs in 5.56 and 300blk. Both were full-sized suppressors. I have found that the sound, even when suppressed, to be very uncomfortable to my ears and I end up using ear pro when shooting. No ringing in my ears afterward, just discomfort while shooting.

I expect that the problem is port noise as I have no problems shooting suppressed bolt guns without ear pro.

I don't bother using suppressors on recreational ARs anymore since there does not seem to be a point if I need to wear ear pro. I do have suppressors on my home defense guns.

Is my hearing oversensitive, possible from hearing damage, or is this the same for everyone?
    Last edited by davidk; 09-28-17 at 12:17.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by davidk View Post
    I have shot suppressed ARs in 5.56 and 300blk. Both were full-sized suppressors. I have found that the sound, even when suppressed, to be very uncomfortable to my ears and I end up using ear pro when shooting. No ringing in my ears afterward, just discomfort while shooting.

I expect that the problem is port noise as I have no problems shooting suppressed bolt guns without ear pro.

I don't bother using suppressors on recreational ARs anymore since there does not seem to be a point if I need to wear ear pro. I do have suppressors on my home defense guns.

Is my hearing oversensitive, possible from hearing damage, or is this the same for everyone?
    Not an expert here, but how many DBs is the suppressor you used suppose to reduce vs non suppressed? Indoor or outdoor? That makes a big difference right there. When using friends suppressed SBR indoors, I prefer some ear plugs at least. Outdoors, not an issue for me.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    I wear double ear pro if shooting unsuppressed.
    I wear single if shooting suppressed.

Of course, I also wear ear pro cutting the grass, using a chainsaw, using an angle grinder, watch races at the track, and during other events with any increased level of noise.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by davidk View Post

5.56 rifles are flat out just not quiet. Yea there's port noise but you're also still shooting a super sonic bullet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigWaylon View Post
    I wear double ear pro if shooting unsuppressed.
    I wear single if shooting suppressed.

Of course, I also wear ear pro cutting the grass, using a chainsaw, using an angle grinder, watch races at the track, and during other events with any increased level of noise.
    I really wish I remember where I had read it, but someone did a pretty decent write-up a while back about how a shooter really needed two forms of hearing protection to fully prevent cumulative hearing damage. Especially when shooting AR's. His example was foam plugs combined with over the ear muffs for unsuppressed shooting, and foam plugs only when using a suppressor.

Feedback Score
    72 (100%)
    Delaying blowback will help with sound, which should be done anyway.

I sometimes only wear ear pro on the port side ear when bench shooting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Part of the reason I almost always shoot suppressed is for the benefit of my neighbors. I shoot almost every day, and I figure they'd rather hear what sounds like a .22 instead of the boom of a .308 every afternoon. I (almost) always wear foam plugs, as you noted the crack + port noise can be irritating.

I ~think~ installation of an adjustable gas block decreased the port noise a bit. Less pressure out the port due to delayed bolt unlock. I could be imagining it though. Hard to say.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    Not an expert here, but how many DBs is the suppressor you used suppose to reduce vs non suppressed? Indoor or outdoor? That makes a big difference right there. When using friends suppressed SBR indoors, I prefer some ear plugs at least. Outdoors, not an issue for me.
    Outdoor. Don't know the dB rating but they were full-size suppressor rated ear safe for those calibers.

Feedback Score
    All sounds about right to me.

It is my understanding that approximately the same "amount" of noise comes out of the ejection port as muzzle. A suppressor only "reduces" the noise from the muzzle and often times at the expense of more noise coming out of the ejection port. TBAC has some interesting videos comparing noise at the muzzle vs ear on ARs. Military Arms Channel has similar comparisons for OSS type.
    Last edited by Bob Sacamano; 09-28-17 at 13:50.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Generally speaking, you should not buy a silencer to make your gun hearing safe. It rarely happens (some exceptions 22LR, etc). You buy a silencer to reduce noise pollution to others in your area (as well as other benefits - flash, recoil, etc).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast