Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Active Army and moving to a new state - KY, TN, CO, NC? - ETA: Carson it is

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Logistics, but I have a few different plans I'm working to get closer to the SOF side.
    I spent two years at Campbell. You could end up there with 5th Group. I didn't stay around Clarksville. I found myself going to Atlanta for long weekends.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by grnamin View Post
    I spent two years at Campbell. You could end up there with 5th Group. I didn't stay around Clarksville. I found myself going to Atlanta for long weekends.
    Atlanta? That's a bit of a drive. Did you not like Nashville?

To the OP, I'm a fan of Campbell. Weather is great, Nashville is awesome, gun laws are understandable and I was able to get a TN CCW easily. The locals were friendly. I'm also a big 101st fan.

If you are not a NY Resident and have an NY handgun license, steer clear of Drum. If the MPs catch you with a pistol and no permit, you are getting arrested. Don't even get me started on ARs. If you are already a New Yorker and have the right paperwork, the FT Drum area is actually pretty firearms, Clays and hunting friendly. I actually liked it there, but the winters can be rough and If you like to shake it in the club, you have to go to Syracuse or Canada as Watertown can be a bit of a Soldier Sausage party.

But I'd ask if you are an NCO, O or JR Enlisted. Stuff like gun laws aren't going to be a big deal if you are living in the barracks and your weapons are stuck in the Arms room.
    Last edited by cd228; 10-18-17 at 15:11.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    There aint nothing to do in ATL except get robbed or catch HIV.

I could live in NC because thats where all the Nicholas Sparks books are set.

I would live in CO if it werent all communist and full of hippies from CA.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    This:
    Quote Originally Posted by Grand58742 View Post
    Tennessee.

No State taxes. Driver license can be had that never expires while on AD. Reasonable gun laws. Really nice outdoors places start at three hours away (Great Smoky Mountains National Park) and go forward. Gulf Coast is a reasonable 9 hour trip down I65 and nicer State routes, East coast beaches are about 10 hours away. Property values aren't outrageous in the Clarksville area. Reasonable weather year round. Politics are reasonable as well.

Not much Tennessee doesn't have to offer.
    Tennessee is a pretty solid choice.
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hotrodder636 View Post
    This:

Tennessee is a pretty solid choice.
    More specifically Kennesaw. An old Army buddy of mine ETS'ed and went back there. Definitely not NY. There are several reasons I left and moved to Texas.
    I have found memories of Grandpa's on 41-accident. Got my first Glock 17 gen 2 there back in April of 1992 after 3 months on layaway. Is Grandpa's still there?
    Last edited by grnamin; 10-18-17 at 20:51.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grand58742 View Post
    Tennessee.

No State taxes. Driver license can be had that never expires while on AD. Reasonable gun laws. Really nice outdoors places start at three hours away (Great Smoky Mountains National Park) and go forward. Gulf Coast is a reasonable 9 hour trip down I65 and nicer State routes, East coast beaches are about 10 hours away. Property values aren't outrageous in the Clarksville area. Reasonable weather year round. Politics are reasonable as well.

Not much Tennessee doesn't have to offer.
    We like Knoxville and Nashville, but never lived there. I did the VA, SC and now KY thing. I second the NC (and SC) having access to beach and ocean. SC would be my choice, but I was Navy and never did NC. I'm a CA boy too, so water is a Must Have (I suspect my wife will drag me back to WI, so FML)

KY is OK, def. a pretty state, but dear God, the poverty and education is definitely living up to the stereotype. Where I currently am is a town of have and have-nots. Very little middle ground. Some of the poorest counties in the nation are in the state. I'm not sure how much NC and TN share these qualities (I'm kind of near the TN border, with lots of cross-traffic, and it's pretty similar) as a generality. BUT ... the gun laws are pretty lax, and I see people carrying almost weekly. Plus lots of folks hunt on their farms. So that's kinda cool. There are some weird laws, but by and large it's a conservative area. Lexington and Louisville have the tainted liberal slant of all cities, but calling Lexington a city is an insult to suburbs everywhere. And cost of living is stupid cheap. Like, a house in So CA where I grew up could literally get me 500+ acres on water here. CCW for the state is pay fee, send in DD214. Done. Weather is pretty good.

I didn't like Bragg, the one visit I had there. Too cheap and built up. Total tourist trap. Personally I'd avoid that part of the state. Maybe the OBX, but I don't like my house being washed away every decade. Blue Ridge might be in my top choices.

TN, in my limited experience, would have to be near the Smoky's. That's some pretty country. 6 hours to water.
    Last edited by Caduceus; 10-19-17 at 05:05.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    As others have said Bragg/NC. I've been here since 69 except for my time in the Army and then 6 or 7 years where my father was stationed elsewhere. All of the reasons others have said are spot on. Fayetteville itself isn't much. However, your 1 1/2 hrs from the beach, Wilmington, and 3-4hrs from the mountains. If you Scuba dive we have 30-40 wrecks that are easily diveable. Everything from artificial reefs to WWII German U-Boats. Decent skiing in the mountains. All sorts of hunting opportunities and PSR327 is definitely a nice range. Moore and Harnett counties are better places to live than Cumberland by a long shot. I've never been to Campbell so i can't comment on that .

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Another plug for the peri-Bragg/SE NC area: if you are into classes, this is the home base for Vickers and McNamara. Plus a bunch of others. You can get one-stop shopping for all your shooting needs.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckman View Post
    You can get one-stop shopping for all your shooting needs.
    That's the best part if you like to build AR's, If I don't want to wait on ordering from on-line sites you can go into town and buy off the shelf many mid level and tier I rifle parts. I've already bought three of my stripped lowers in town (BCM/Novenske/Knights) and was able to walk in and walk out in 20 minutes with a lower.

When are you going to know where your PCS'ing to?
    DDM4V11 PRO, SSA-E, Vortex viper 6.5x20-44mm
    BCM 16 KMR-A, SSA, EO Tech EXPS 3-0, G-33 magnifier
    S&W M&P Sport II, BCM PNT, Aimpoint PRO
    BCM 9" 300 BLK upper/KAC lower/DD BCG/ BCM PNT/ Aimpoint T1
    Noveske upper/lower/handguard, 20" 6.5 Grendel Bartlein Barrel, SSA-E,Vortex viper GEN II PST 5x25-50mm
    16" BCA .223 Wylde "budget rifle", SPARC AR
    Retired Army Airborne Infantry

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by hdrolling View Post
    That's the best part if you like to build AR's, If I don't want to wait on ordering from on-line sites you can go into town and buy off the shelf many mid level and tier I rifle parts. I've already bought three of my stripped lowers in town (BCM/Novenske/Knights) and was able to walk in and walk out in 20 minutes with a lower.

When are you going to know where your PCS'ing to?
    At the end of March I'll know where I'm going for school, hard to say when I'll know after that though. Good to know that there are decent stores around, Hawaii is really starting to wear me down on that. I'm lucky to shoot once a month and never bother going to the shops because buying here is such a pain in the ass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast