Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Active Army and moving to a new state - KY, TN, CO, NC? - ETA: Carson it is

Feedback Score
    You mean you don't want to come up to the cold and snow that Ft. Drum has to offer?

Don't blame ya. I'd take any of the three you picked to get out of New Yorkistan, all in due time. North central Arizona for us!

NYH1.

ROLLTIDE!
    NYSRPA Member.

Feedback Score
    Having spent a great deal of time in my 22 years in the Army at Fort Campbell, I have a certain fondness for the northern TN and Southern KY area. However, I was deployed quite a lot during the 80's and 90's. It was my steadfast wife who took the lead in raising our eldest son there, but we did live on base.

Fort Carson at Colorado Springs is also a nice facility, and the Springs itself is a solid pro-military area, and the weather is nice. One of my former Army ROTC instructors in college became the Chief of Staff at Carson, and that was Colonel Tony Koren. If you've got options, and depending how far along you are towards retirement, work towards what locale will advance your career.
    Last edited by OH58D; 09-25-17 at 22:23.
    Maj. USAR (Ret) 160th SOAR, 2/17 CAV
    NRA Life Member
    Black Mesa Ranch. Raising Fine Cattle and Horses in San Miguel County since 1879

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    If I couldve landed Carson or Lewis, I probably would've stayed active. I was lucky to get 7 combined years at Schofield Barracks and only 2 at Hood, and had I stayed Id be retirement eligible in only 724 more days. Oh well, fed retirement in 2031 to look forward to.

Feedback Score
    Tennessee!
    US NAVY
    1961-1965

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GTF425 View Post
    I never knew a single person who went to Carson and regretted it. Can't say the same for any of the other posts on the list.

I can only help with NC. Bragg has you about 3 hours from Asheville and about 1.5 hours from Wilmington. Both were my favorite weekend trips to take while stationed there, and I was never bored. As for where to live, Raeford was popular if you want to have a short commute and be outside of Fayetteville itself. A lot of my friends lived out there and cost of living was very affordable. If you're going to buy land, look on the west side of Bragg near Southern Pines, Whispering Pines, Aberdeen, etc. Bit of a drive, but the area is much nicer and the neighbors are much, much better. On the north side, Spring Lake can be pretty nice.

If you go to Bragg, get a membership at 37 PSR Gun Club. I miss that place.

Good luck on your PCS.
    Bragg x2. Also makes it easier to go to SFAS......
    SF

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by grnamin View Post
    If you don't mind me asking, what's your MOS?
    Logistics, but I have a few different plans I'm working to get closer to the SOF side.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    I did 14 out of 28 years at Bragg.

If you go there live in Moore county.

Feedback Score
    42 (100%)
    Spent 10 years at Pope AFB / Bragg, surrounding area is nice and but I would not recommend living anywhere around post or Cumberland County for that matter, crime rate is kind of high. Sheriff there was terrible, very left leaning.

I lived in Harnett County area and enjoyed it for the most part. Plus it is a pretty centralized location being roughly 2 hours to the coast and 2 hours to the mountains, just pick your flavor for the weekend.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I've been back and forth from Bragg three time and retired here. Taxes are a little high. If you register a truck here you might have to get towing tags that are priced by how much you might be towing whether it's a small open trailer or camper.

The state is open carry.

We were going to move to Tenn but being retired and 100% VA disabled we decided to stay. Tenn changed there 100% VA disability property tax break so we would have no longer qualified, and at the time NC voted to give a bigger tax break.

We read about a lot of crime but it's almost always in the same area. We don't go to those areas.

The only warning is if your not use to the way FT Bragg operates you might not like it, and I'm speaking of being in the 82nd. I was raised in Div and love it but some of the soldiers coming in from other bases hate it.
    DDM4V11 PRO, SSA-E, Vortex viper 6.5x20-44mm
    BCM 16 KMR-A, SSA, EO Tech EXPS 3-0, G-33 magnifier
    S&W M&P Sport II, BCM PNT, Aimpoint PRO
    BCM 9" 300 BLK upper/KAC lower/DD BCG/ BCM PNT/ Aimpoint T1
    Noveske upper/lower/handguard, 20" 6.5 Grendel Bartlein Barrel, SSA-E,Vortex viper GEN II PST 5x25-50mm
    16" BCA .223 Wylde "budget rifle", SPARC AR
    Retired Army Airborne Infantry

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    If you are close to or considering retirement, I would recommend Ft Hood, if you have time left to finish a career not so much.
    I love Texas III Corps is kind of whacky.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast