Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drop acog for 1-8x variable

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)

Drop acog for 1-8x variable

So, I have a 4x acog on my recce and I am very happy with it. I have tried both 1-4x and 1-6x scopes in the past. I thought they were good concepts and versatile, but found the cons of weight and size to outdue the benefits for me. Now that there are some decent offerings in 1-8, I am considering trying them out, probably the trijicon. My rifle is capable of 1-1.5 moa and I think with a scope like this it really could fill just about any role.

Open to any thoughts or experiences.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    3 quality options: the trijicon 1-8x, the Leopold mk8 cqbss, and now the sfp swaro 1-8x. The PA platinum 1-8 works decent and good glass but it's the heaviest of all the options.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jesuvuah View Post
    So, I have a 4x acog on my recce and I am very happy with it. I have tried both 1-4x and 1-6x scopes in the past. I thought they were good concepts and versatile, but found the cons of weight and size to outdue the benefits for me. Now that there are some decent offerings in 1-8, I am considering trying them out, probably the trijicon. My rifle is capable of 1-1.5 moa and I think with a scope like this it really could fill just about any role.
    The 1-8x scopes are generally larger and heavier than the scopes you didn't like for size and weight, and you're happy with a 4x ACOG - so why focus on the 1-8x scopes?

The ACOG is still fine if it meets your personal requirements, and is about as small and rugged as you can get for a magnified optic.

If you want a zoom range, why not look at small, light 1-4x scopes like the Nightforce? Or the Vortex Razor 1-6x, which isn't light but is otherwise great and not terribly large. The Leupold Mark 6 is also a viable option and is relatively small and light for being a 1-6x.

I just got a 1-8x (Burris XTRII) and I'm looking at using it to replace a 2.5-10x, not a 1-4x. It all depends what you want though.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SomeOtherGuy View Post
    The 1-8x scopes are generally larger and heavier than the scopes you didn't like for size and weight, and you're happy with a 4x ACOG - so why focus on the 1-8x scopes?

The ACOG is still fine if it meets your personal requirements, and is about as small and rugged as you can get for a magnified optic.

If you want a zoom range, why not look at small, light 1-4x scopes like the Nightforce? Or the Vortex Razor 1-6x, which isn't light but is otherwise great and not terribly large. The Leupold Mark 6 is also a viable option and is relatively small and light for being a 1-6x.

I just got a 1-8x (Burris XTRII) and I'm looking at using it to replace a 2.5-10x, not a 1-4x. It all depends what you want though.
    I should have been more clear. While I understand that it is still heavy and bulky, the increase in zoom might be worth the squeeze. A 1-4 didn't really offer me anything more (the bac aiming works for me) and the 6x wasn't enough for me to justify the weight, maybe the 8x would be?

Feedback Score
    I guess that depends on what you plan to do with the 8x. What is it going to to do for you that 6x didn't?

That's not snark, by the way. So much of where this goes depends on what you actually want to use it for. I've spent good $$ in the past on more magnification that I ended up really needing/wanting, and didn't like the weight penalty.
    "Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

The Everyday Marksman

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    I'll chime in just because i've been looking at 1-6 and 1-8 optics this last week to potentially replace my 1-4 Nigthforce.

Now, first off if I was you i'd want out of that Acog because I can't stand the eye relief. I don't like feeling like I have to be right inside the scope to get the full field of view. My Nightforce 2.5-10x24 has a small eyebox but it's still longer eye relief than an Acog.
    The Acog is 17ozs with factory mount and that's pretty hard to beat considering my Nightforce NXS 1-4 weights 17ozs, 24.5ozs with a Bobro mount.
    But every 1-6 or 1-8 I look at is a bit heavier, something I'm willing to sacrifice if I can get other features I want. Honestly, if I look through my one NXS on 4x and then pick up the other one set on 6x and then think "hmm, what is this going to do for me that the other can't?" the difference starts to look pretty small. What's more important for me in a LPV that starts with a 1x is that the 1x be as close to true as possible, the reticle be easy to pick up at 1x, and if possible have the option for bright illumination.
    At the other end, whether it be 4x, 6x or 8x, I just again want a reticle that's easy to use, and allows for BDC whether it's already numbered and calculated, or just uses MILs. That's pretty much it.

You might look at the Leupold MK6 1-6 as it really is one of the lightest variable powers in it's class at 17ozs. Try to get as lightweight as possible on your mount and maybe keep it around 24ozs total. Just shy of a 1/2lb increase over your ACOG but you gain a true 1x that's very nice with a decently bright illumination setting, and when cranked up to 6x (depending on reticle choice) you've got a lot of tools in the tool box for making hits further out.

Like this:
    (not mine)
    21980279_324382738033245_2815231731156647936_n.jpg

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    My thoughts on the Z8i from a review I wrote on Europtic’s website. I can’t champion it enough. The Swaro’s are very popular in 3-gun circles and it’s no wonder why. I’d caution anyone about 34mm tube scopes on 5.56 rifles. They tend to be much more bulky and heavy than needed IMO.

Glass quality is nothing short of amazing. The fast focus eyepiece has a reference mark on it, which is a very nice detail. I don't like locking eyepieces as I find that my focus changes depending if I'm wearing contacts or eyeglasses. The threads for the focus adjustment seem to be the perfect pitch too. It adjusts very quickly. This is something I hated about the NF 2.5-10x24 this scope replaced. The diopter adjustment was very finely threaded, and required many turns. The ocular lens on the Z8i is very large. This gives the user a wide open viewing experience that is very easy to get behind. The scope is very user friendly in this regard. Pointing and finding the reticle is very intuitive. Scope is very lightweight, and doesn't have the unnecessarily heavy or bulky 34mm tube of some scopes in this genre. The capped turret clicks are firm and tacticle and have an adjustable zero reference which I find beneficial for compensating for different ammo or adding a suppressor. The power ring is smooth and quick to adjust. I didn't opt for the throw level. The built in extended nub does it for me so far. Reticle illumination controls are good. I wish the buttons had a bit more travel or maybe a more tacticle sensation when they are depressed. This is really my only dislike. The on/off control is brilliant with its day/night settings. Very good range to the illumination as well. Very usable in low light all the way up to thermonuclear bright. When off, it appears as if the center of the reticle is slightly open with a very faint grey color present. This slightly open reticle center, which is .1 MIL corresponding with the dot size, is actually an unexpected help when shooting for groups off of a bench. You can play with your zero range in the Swarovski app to make the hold overs make sense for your rifle and ammo. For example, with 77gr M262 zeroed at 50/194ish yards, the drops of the BRT are 308, 403, 485, 558 and 622 yards. The app will even tell you to zero 1.4" high at 100 yards. I've owned quite a few scopes and different optic setups. Brands including S&B, Trijicon, NIghtforce, Aimpoint, Eotech and just about everything you'd expect to see on an AR15. This is bay far the most impressive scope I've owned. Going from a NF 2.5-10x24 with an offset MRDS to this, I feel like I'm giving nothing up on the high end due to the very impressive optical quality, and only gaining on the low end due to the Z8i's very impressive 1x feel. The NF setup with a Larue mount and RM06 was 26.1oz. This scope in the same mount less the MRDS is 25.1oz. Gains about 2" in overall length, but it isn't noticed. The Z8i isn't cheap, but well worth the cost.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BrigandTwoFour View Post
    I guess that depends on what you plan to do with the 8x. What is it going to to do for you that 6x didn't?

That's not snark, by the way. So much of where this goes depends on what you actually want to use it for. I've spent good $$ in the past on more magnification that I ended up really needing/wanting, and didn't like the weight penalty.
    Perhaps I would be better off just building another gun as a spr with a higher power optic

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BrigandTwoFour View Post
    Most of the scopes listed are high-end, high quality scopes with good glass, but I'll just note that really high quality glass at a somewhat lower magnification can provide as much ability to hit the target as lesser glass at higher magnification, and it does so with fewer trade-offs.

Quote Originally Posted by jesuvuah View Post
    Perhaps I would be better off just building another gun as a spr with a higher power optic
    Now you're thinking like an AR owner!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SomeOtherGuy View Post
    Most of the scopes listed are high-end, high quality scopes with good glass, but I'll just note that really high quality glass at a somewhat lower magnification can provide as much ability to hit the target as lesser glass at higher magnification, and it does so with fewer trade-offs.
    I wasn't knocking the options you listed, those are all great scopes. I've also seen the benefit of better glass at lower magnification compared to "meh" glass at higher. The first time I took my 4x Elcan out to range, I could spot my own impacts in the dust at ~700 yards. The guy with a 36x cheapo spotting scope next to me wasn't as quick to do that.

My argument, if you could call it that, was that it really all comes down to use.

OP, an SPR upper with a 2.5-10 sounds like a great idea!
    "Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

The Everyday Marksman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast