Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cleaning the Dead Air Mask HD with the DIP

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by veeref View Post
    Probably a stupid question, but once you use that ‘dip’ solution once, is it ineffective to use again for future cleanings?
    You can use a batch of the dip repeatedly but keep in mind that it will lose potency over time. I use mine in an old pickle jar and when I’m done I immerse a bunch of paper towels to soak up the liquid (just in case something happens to the jar) seal it up, and dispose of it at a certified hazardous waste center. If you have a safe place to leave the jar with the lid off you can also let evaporation do it’s thing which leaves only particulates behind and then dispose of it properly. The key is please dispose of it properly at certified hazmat location.
    Last edited by st381183; 09-26-17 at 22:08.

Feedback Score
    Another solution from a chemist.

"Pour some baking soda in the used solution. It'll bind with lead acetate to form lead sulfate, a precipitate, on the bottom of the tub. Keep pouring until it stops forming, then pour away the remaining solvent. Let the Pb-sulfate dry, then collect in a container. It's still toxic, but not as bad as the luquid acetate form, & safer & easier to deal with."

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    Providing NFA Trust Services to Texas Citizens

www.AtomicLabRat.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    And it would probably be a good idea to point out to the viewers at home what happens when you put aluminum suppressor parts in the dip.

Answer: It eats the parts.
    Added it

Providing NFA Trust Services to Texas Citizens

www.AtomicLabRat.com

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SC-Texas View Post
    Another solution from a chemist.

"Pour some baking soda in the used solution. It'll bind with lead acetate to form lead sulfate, a precipitate, on the bottom of the tub. Keep pouring until it stops forming, then pour away the remaining solvent. Let the Pb-sulfate dry, then collect in a container. It's still toxic, but not as bad as the luquid acetate form, & safer & easier to deal with."

Quote Originally Posted by st381183 View Post
    You can use a batch of the dip repeatedly but keep in mind that it will lose potency over time. I use mine in an old pickle jar and when I’m done I immerse a bunch of paper towels to soak up the liquid (just in case something happens to the jar) seal it up, and dispose of it at a certified hazardous waste center. If you have a safe place to leave the jar with the lid off you can also let evaporation do it’s thing which leaves only particulates behind and then dispose of it properly. The key is please dispose of it properly at certified hazmat location.
    Thank you. I’ve got a jar of solution and now I know how to properly handle it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Very informative post. Thanks for putting this together and sharing.
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12