Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Are these gas key screws properly staked?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by heavygunner8 View Post
    Like I mentioned earlier and based on what Ruger customer rep told me, they want to be able to remove the screws if need be, but they're still staked such that they won't unscrew during normal operation.
    I understand your point, but if the screws really won't unscrew themselves during normal operation, there isn't really much to say.

It doesn't matter to me at this point, I bought a Toolcraft NiB BCG.
    Just got one of those myself last week.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score

Are these gas key screws properly staked?

Quote Originally Posted by Straight Shooter View Post
    No butthurt here, I assure you. I do have a question for any & all: WHY...WHAT BENEFIT is this over the tried, true & proven way its been done for decades? What about it is SO GOOD they re-invented the wheel, so to speak? Cannot see an advantage of it, even IF it is done "correctly". Any ideas?
    If it is adequate, and they get more PPH. (Parts per hour, or rate)

Everything is going to "lean manufacturing". At my facility, we are making the same amount of product, at the same or improved quality, with 80 fewer headcount than before. This HC reduction is done through natural attrition, so nobody was fired to accomplish it. Automation is typically used.

I can't speak for the process used in this BCG staking specifically, but that is one general possibility to answer your question.

"I've just got like, this 5.56 okay? And it's 55 grain ball. And everybody I've ever seen shot with it, it dicks them up."

---Clint Smith
    Thunder Ranch
    Last edited by JC5188; 09-29-17 at 04:21.

Feedback Score
    Like I mentioned earlier and based on what Ruger customer rep told me, they want to be able to remove the screws if need be, but they're still staked such that they won't unscrew during normal operation.
    I don't buy that. I seriously doubt Ruger is even remotely concerned with "removing screws". It is done for cost.

"I've just got like, this 5.56 okay? And it's 55 grain ball. And everybody I've ever seen shot with it, it dicks them up."

---Clint Smith
    Thunder Ranch

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JC5188 View Post
    I don't buy that. I seriously doubt Ruger is even remotely concerned with "removing screws". It is done for cost.

---Clint Smith
    Thunder Ranch

Agreed. Who ever said that is full of shit.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    They gotta get the rifles to the sub $500 mark somehow.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by misfit47 View Post
    They gotta get the rifles to the sub $500 mark somehow.
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...21#post2534621

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...57#post2534657

Last edited by titsonritz; 09-29-17 at 15:04.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    That about sums it up.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    These two threads are awesome. And it reminds me of another question Ive asked, but never gotten a really satisfactory answer to: How much savings in dollers does a gunmaker make from switching from steel to MIM parts? Take a 1911...using whatever parts can be & are MIM, over traditional parts of steel...how much is saved? I DO NOT want a debate on MIMvs. Steel....just wondered about cost savings, period.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    These two threads are awesome. And it reminds me of another question Ive asked, but never gotten a really satisfactory answer to: How much savings in dollers does a gunmaker make from switching from steel to MIM parts? Take a 1911...using whatever parts can be & are MIM, over traditional parts of steel...how much is saved? I DO NOT want a debate on MIMvs. Steel....just wondered about cost savings, period.
    Even if it's only a dime, it adds up.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Actually, in the case of the 1911, I would think it is pretty substantial, not the cost of the parts themselves so much but the necessary labor to properly hand fit them by competent people. ARs don't have that issue.
    Last edited by titsonritz; 09-29-17 at 17:41.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast