Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Review - Olight PL-Mini Valkyrie

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Review - Olight PL-Mini Valkyrie

I had been looking for some time for a compact pistol mounted weapon light that would NOT protrude past the end of my CCW pistol. I first noticed the PL-Mini Valkyrie while viewing a review of coming products from Olight for 2017. I already carry a Olight Baton S1R as my EDC pocket light, and have been very happy with its size, ease of charging, battery life, and reliability for the past 2 years. Weighing in those factors I took the plunge and ordered one.

Unit comes well packaged, includes the light, magnetic charging cable and instructions. Unit is equipped with a QD throw lever for quick connect and disconnect from the pistol. QD locks on to my P229R frame with solid contact and no movement while locked into place. The unit is bright, I have no way to measure the output, but Olight states that the unit is 400 lumens and has a throw of about 75 meters, adequate for searching small rooms or spaces. As I hoped the size of this unit is smaller than any other weapon light I have fielded to date. The unit is small enough to fit the rail of my P229R without protruding past the end of the weapon like my X300 and TLR lights. I also think the ability to charge the unit while it remains attached to the pistol is a very convenient feature for a LEO or CCW holder that carries and uses this daily. At night merely attach the magnetic charging base to the weapon as it sat on your night stand or in your safe ( with a potable USB battery or AC outlet,) and your tank is full and ready to go the next day. Overall my first impressions of the units are excellent, I will update my review after I get to shoot with the unit a bit.

Here are some pics:
    IMG_4554[1].jpgIMG_4556[1].jpgIMG_4557[1].jpgIMG_4555[1].jpg
    Last edited by Freelance; 09-27-17 at 23:19.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Thanks for sharing. Can you comment on pricing? Holster options?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Sorry unit retailed for $79.95, but I have not had an opportunity to try and fit it into my light bearing holsters yet as I have been away from home. I will check my first opportunity and update fit on my X300 and TLR holsters.

Quote Originally Posted by VARIABLE9 View Post
    Thanks for sharing. Can you comment on pricing? Holster options?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I've been pretty impressed with Olight products - enough to feature them on my site. I've turned down their pistol lights though, because of potential holster incompatibility. They just didn't look like they'd fit the X300 envelope. In that case, they'd be relegated to a night-stand pistol. Do update us on whether it fits in X300 holsters.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

GTG on X300 & TLR holsters for Sig & M&P 9

I was able to test this on a few of my weaponlight holsters tonight once I put the little one to bed. I had kydex units from RCS as well as a couple of others I cannot recall the manufacturers of. I had 2 for the P229R & P226R (SF -X300 & SL-TLR-1,) as well as a couple for my M&P 9 full size also (SF -X300 & SL-TLR-1.) The PL-Mini was small enough to fit in both versions of each holster I tried and found no sharp edges that snagged upon draw for me.
    Last edited by Freelance; 09-28-17 at 01:36.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Freelance View Post
    The PL-Mini was small enough to fit in both versions of each holster I tried and found no sharp edges that snagged upon draw for me.
    How well was it retained?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Seemed pretty tight in both of them, I didn't notice any discernible wobble when trying to rock the pistols back and forth and I was able to flip them upside down and still have the holsters retain the pistol. It got pretty late and I had a early day at work, but I'll try to snap a few more pics this weekend of the units holstered in each.
    Last edited by Freelance; 09-28-17 at 11:16.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Interesting. How far out does the throw lever protrude? It didn't snag on the holsters?

Please post your shooting update as soon as you can. I'm very interested in hearing how well it stands up to recoil. Seeing so many screws on the light has me leery about durability.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Seemed pretty tight in both of them, I didn't notice any discernible wobble when trying to rock the pistols back and forth and I was able to flip them upside down and still have the holsters retain the pistol.
    Thanks for the info.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Sorry unit retailed for $79.95, but I have not had an opportunity to try and fit it into my light bearing holsters yet as I have been away from home. I will check my first opportunity and update fit on my X300 and TLR holsters.
    Thanks!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast