Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Benelli or Beretta or FN

Feedback Score

Benelli or Beretta or FN

So I am looking for my first semi auto shotgun for defensive use and I am now between these three guns. The benelli m4 has good revues just the price tag is a bit of a turn off. Then there is the Beretta 1301 tactical that seemed like the winner but the bolt catch "issue" is a big thumbs down but I have seen the remedies available for this and it seems legit but it leaves me a bit weary. Ive heard good and bad about the FN SLP but nothing that is a complete deal killer so I would like some input. I primarily care that the gun works when it needs to with defensive ammo.
    Semper Fi

Feedback Score
    Does it have to be one of those brands and models?

I have a Mossberg 930 SPX. It is reliable and any kind of ammo works on it. There's a lot of aftermarket parts; you don't have to deal with the 922r compliance issues if you add an extension.

I have a Benelli M2. Though I think pistol grips are overrated, I have one on it at the moment.

I put red dots on all of my shotguns, though I don't need them.

Instagram: MuzzleblastMD

Feedback Score
    Ive heard mixed things about the 930 but I will look further into it. thanks
    Semper Fi

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I have a very early Benelli 121 M1 that I purchased from Brian Enos many, many years ago.
    He picked it off the prize table at a Ernie Hill sponsored match in Phoenix and put it on the for sale
    table at a Cactus Match League shoot.
    I paid $300 for it and it has fired thousands of rounds from bird shot to buck to slugs never a problem.
    That shotgun prompted me to buy a M1 Super 90 3" magnum for spring goose season here in S. Dak.
    I have many rounds through it, but nowhere near the 121 M1.
    I plan on purchasing the Benelli over/under for pheasant season and retire my Browning over/under.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Between those three, I'd say Beretta. The 1301 Tactical is nearly ideal for defensive purposes, with good aftermarket solutions for everything you need (Nordic for extension and light mount, Aridus for RDS and Magpul stock, etc.). The bolt catch problem is the Achilles's heel, but the fixes seem to be working fine. Combined with training, I don't think it will be a problem.

Benelli M4 has excellent aftermarket support for a tactical configuration, but it's heavy and expensive. Hardly a peep from FN these days about the SLP, no updates either. You might have a hard time outfitting it for defensive use. Frankly I was unimpressed when I shot a friend's 930 SPX. Benelli M4 and M2 are a step up in build quality and feeling solid.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    I have fired all the shotguns you mentioned in your list, OP. I am currently using and abusing a Beretta 1301 Tactical, and have found it to be robust and reliable.

The issue with the bolt catch is easily remedied with a small aftermarket part that takes about 4 minutes to install.

Mine has over 1100 rounds through it so far, a mixture of field loads for training, along with buckshot and slugs. It's the most accurate of six defensive shotguns I own (four Remington 870's, a Winchester Model 12, and the 1301).

At 15 yards I can pick which eye socket I want to put a load of Federal Flite Control or a Brenneke slug. At 25 yards, it will keep 4 or 5 slugs in a head-sized target. I'm talking standing offhand, not seated at a bench.

You can mount an Aimpoint Micro on it, and also install either a Mesa Tactical Urbino pistol grip stock, or a Magpul stock. Lights are not a problem either, mine has a Surefire X-300U with a tape switch.

I'll add some pics in a minute.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    X300 with tape switch looks like a very efficient solution for WML. What length tape switch did you use? I have been using a 3 cell handheld light to get the clicky switch as far back as possible. Works but bulky and hangs a far amount off the gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    It's the Surefire ST07, it's 7 inches long.

I used industrial Velcro to mount it to the furniture, and used the same Velcro on the receiver to attach shell carriers. Neither has an issue with either heat or rain.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the quick response. Will have to find the tail cap adapter. Have an extra tape strip from a Scout to use.

PS. The Magpul stock looks great! Have an order in for one also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast