Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who is the Aimpoint of LPVOs?

Feedback Score
    It can do that. I've shot a lot of 3 gun matches where they like to do 8 inch plates from 230 260 315 and 375. 230 and 260 aren't hard but the last two are obscured. I use a 1-8 accupower now. But for shooting man size targets it's no problem at 300.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bp7178 View Post
    IMO, the TR24 is a very good optic. The power range is kind of low, but every other feature is good. I had a TR24-G, and I wish it would have been a R or red version. Don't fall into that fallacy that green reticles are easier to pickup. Its said that the eye can distinguish more shades of green, but this doesn't cross into reticle usage. You want something that is a DIRECT contrast to things that appear in nature. Like something red.

If there's a detraction to the TR24, is that the reticle doesn't allow for holdovers. This may or may not be an issue based on your firing and zero distance.
    The reticle generally sucks for any kind of distance work. Its great to use as a red dot but anything that requires precision the tip of the reticle has too much bloom to be precise. Personally I would say the TR24 is much closer to a RDS+magnifier combo than it is to a LPVO.
    Last edited by vicious_cb; 10-03-17 at 15:40.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    The reticle generally sucks for any kind of distance work. Its great to use as a red dot but anything that requires precision the tip of the reticle has too much bloom to be precise. Personally I would say the TR24 is much closer to a RDS+magnifier combo than it is to a LPVO.
    I agree that it is not ideal for distance work but it still is a good optic. If I wanted an optic that was really good at distance work I wouldn't be using a 1-X though.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I agree, but I think at some point you have to quantify what is meant by "distance work."

IMO, some of the higher range 1-whatever varios have enough for .223 rounds.

Feedback Score
    I personally say distance starts at 300. That's when drop starts to play in and wind starts to affect it. I know someone will come in and say it starts at 1000 but if I'm talking about .223/5.56 it starts at 300 in my opinion.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    With the price requirements mentioned, I'll throw in the Leopoldo vxr patrol. It's around $500, bright dot reticle, decent glass, huge eye box, so it's fast, and motion sensor lets you keep it on like an aimpoint for HD.

I didn't like the fisheye of the trijicon, or the reticle of the other 1-4x. Plus it's one of , if not the lightest variable illuminated reticle scope out.

I haven't seen any reports of failures. I'd imagine some people are still running them hard.
    In mentioning price I meant like in the red-dot world, Aimpoint is pricey (most expensive? not sure) but with that comes that quality and durability. In that same vein of thought that's why I was thinking something like either S&B ShortDot or USO with their SR-C series that had the dual FP, red-dot on second. Very curious what USO will be coming out with.
    Although cheaper would be nicer of course. Like I would think in the fixed power world, an ACOG would be the "Aimpoint" of fixed powers: awesome glass, great illumination, light and extremely durable. Now although fixed, its still 1/2 - 1/3 the price of something like an S&B, so does a LPVO of "Aimpoint" quality (super durable, super bright dot/reticle, awesome glass, etc) need to be S&B money? Idk. I always hear about diminishing returns after a certain level, but at the same point I don't know anyone who tops Aimpoint in red-dots and they also seem to be at the top of the price list.
    "Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company." - George Washington

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ExplorinInTheWoods View Post
    I personally say distance starts at 300. That's when drop starts to play in and wind starts to affect it. I know someone will come in and say it starts at 1000 but if I'm talking about .223/5.56 it starts at 300 in my opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by bp7178 View Post
    I agree, but I think at some point you have to quantify what is meant by "distance work."

IMO, some of the higher range 1-whatever varios have enough for .223 rounds.
    In reference to this too, it reminds me of what Travis Haley mentions in one of his videos about optics, and about time working for you or against you. Outside of 300+ yards, I would think that typically time is working for you (as opposed to CQB distances+), so should you use something like a TR25 with the triangle-post reticle, you could dial in the elevation in order to engage someone/something at a distance of say 500-60 yards. I don't know, that's just my .02 cents
    "Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company." - George Washington

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    I wrote a kinda long response to this, but never sent it because I was writing it in gaps at work and then left on a trip.
    If it seems worth it, I'll post it when I get back. Most if it was about why I prefer certain arrangements, my experience, and my application. Short version: I don't want to have to rely on illumination, I have a pretty decent amount of time behind a bunch of them, and I shoot them pretty good.

Here's my list, in no particular order:

NF NXS 1-4x with FC-3G reticle.
    I have mine on an 11.5" 5.56. Expected application is 90% inside 200 meters, with 10% inside 500 meters.
    This is my in-house and grab-n-go fast gun with 50gr TSX.
    It's fast, it's small, and it's robust.
    Would do combat with. These are a really solid choice, so long as they meet your employment envelope.

Leupold VX-6 1-6x with Multigun FireDot Reticle.
    I have one on my go-to GP 14.5" 5.56.
    Much like the FC-3G, it doesn't need illumination to work, and also is tied to a 200 yard zero. Not my preference, but just fine really. I've used it for everything from 2-gun competition to blasting hogs/yotes/etc at distance, and it works well.
    Probably not as tough as the NF, but I don't fall out of helicopters for a living anymore.
    Really light. These have an exceptional cost:benefit ratio.

Leupold MK6 1-6x with CMR-W or TMR-D reticle.
    If your use is usually at 3-6x, at 200-600 meters go with the CMR-W reticle. If primarily at the low range/inside 200 meters, go with the TMR-D. Both of these favor illumination, but are really tough.
    The excellent wind reference and robustness of this optic outweighs the illumination need to me.

Kahles K16i with SM1 reticle.
    Replaced a Mk8 1.1-8 on my lightweight .308.
    Lacks wind holds, but for staying inside 300 meters, I'm ok, given the low illumination requirement of the reticle and overall awesomeness of the glass. Fairly lightweight, basically sold as a ruggedized Z6i.

Swarovski Z6i and Z8i with BRT reticle.
    I do not own one of these, but have played with the Z6i quite a bit.
    Really good reticle, really good illumination, and are not terribly reliant on illumination, and are very light. The Z6i dominates the 3-gun and 2-gun application, which includes tossing guns into plastic barrels pretty regularly.
    These hit a whole lot of check-boxes, but are not inexpensive. The Z8i and one optic that is about to come out are the only two 1-8x optics that I am really excited about, and each fills a slightly different role, so I can hopefully feel ok with buying one of each...
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I love the TR24. I've actually got a couple of them. The thing that makes them great is also what holds them back; the reticle. It's a great 0-400m optic. Beyond that it's difficult. On 4x the triangle is roughly 1 mil tall. With a 200m zero, the bottom of the triangle puts you on at 400. Cover the target with the triangle at 300. Use just the tip at 200.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    I wrote a kinda long response to this, but never sent it because I was writing it in gaps at work and then left on a trip.
    If it seems worth it, I'll post it when I get back. Most if it was about why I prefer certain arrangements, my experience, and my application. Short version: I don't want to have to rely on illumination, I have a pretty decent amount of time behind a bunch of them, and I shoot them pretty good.
    Please do post it if you can; I'm eager to learn your setups and more importantly the why's. Have you moved away entirely from RDSs as your primary rifle aiming devices? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast