Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The right way to make a battle rifle!

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aries144 View Post
    I'm curious, what did you find interesting about the flyer?
    Just that it was a very good group, then a noticeable flyer on the last shot they showed. Something was different, my read.

I know for sure that CHF can be accurate, don't need convincing... and the mfg care when doing so can make a big difference. (correct/smooth initial drilling, etc)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pinzgauer View Post
    Just that it was a very good group, then a noticeable flyer on the last shot they showed. Something was different, my read.

I know for sure that CHF can be accurate, don't need convincing... and the mfg care when doing so can make a big difference. (correct/smooth initial drilling, etc)
    Yeah, that video is a good example of why, if you really want to know your rifle's group size with a particular ammo, you need a larger sampling size than just 3 or 5 shots. If only that one 5-shot group were fired, it's entirely probable that the "group" he saw that one time might have all clustered in that tiny group. Subsequent groups would have revealed those "flyers" and would have indicated the "flyers" were actually just the real group size. Too many folks testing out a rifle's accuracy assume that every "flyer" is shooter error and that the small cluster as seen in the video is the real grouping.

I'm not trying to convince about anything, I've just been studying barrels and how they affect accuracy the past year or so and am anxious to share what I've found. I found cold hammer forging fascinating as it has the potential to allow rapid production of some very high quality barrels, but can also produce crap if the operators don't stay on top of wear and tolerances.

Seeing that cool old video just brought it all to mind and I thought I'd give you guys a look since you tend not to find that kind of info unless you go digging for it.
    Last edited by Aries144; 10-05-17 at 22:01.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by m4brian View Post
    Did anyone else's heart skip a beat when Hans threw that G3 on the shop floor? The 60's swank music reminded me of Batman & Robin. What I would give to have one of those crates they were loading up there at the end.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The Germans also manufactured a 4x24 compact stanag scope for the G3 by the hundreds of thousands. It was built by Hensoldt, Schmidt & Bender & Karl Kapps.
    They are mounted on the HK QD mount and feature a modified #1 ranging reticle.
    Upon completion they were sighted in while mounted in a shooting test device that was coupled to a optical camera that displayed hits on a screen before the
    technician, then packed away in a handy green heavy plastic case with lens filters ect. to await the Russians breaching the Fulda Gap.
    That day never came and eventually these beauties were sold by the German Government to many companies in the United States.
    I purchased mine from Deutsche Optic many years ago in new unissued condition for a few hundred dollars, my best friend did likewise and as a test we switched
    scopes from my rifle to his, and his rifle to mine and they grouped the same .
    The Germans really are masters of weapon and optics production, too bad they don't make the 91/93 series of rifles anymore, I will never sell mine.

Feedback Score
    Waaay cool video, thank you nostalgia!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12