Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kids huning rifles

Feedback Score

Kids huning rifles

I have been reading a ton lately on the perfect deer rifle for a youth hunter. .243 and 7mm08 always come up huge in the reviews.

In the event someone on here is looking into it I will offer my experience.

I am so pleased with my Ruger American Ranch in 300 blackout. My 10 year old was ringing steel at 100 yard and building confidence like crazy this weekend. I have an AAC 762sdn6 on it. Gun is quiet, doesn't kick, and sends a .30 cal bullet down range to 100 yards with enough force to kill deer (using barnes black tips). My little guy (8 year old) shot my 300 blackout sbr with the same can. He was also ringing steel at 100 yards. Both will work great this year...so long as they don't get the shakes.

so, like any topic on caliber choice it's always up to the individual shooter.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Interesting, I just bought one of those Ruger 300 BLK rifles yesterday, and am pondering cans as I write this.

I'm also debating submitting a Form 1, and cutting it down to about 10.5".

I'll likely put a 1-4 LPVO on it.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Interesting. I looked at 7-30 Waters for my son when he was little and settled on a Ruger in .357. He’s much older now but the 300 sounds like fun. How was pricing? I’ve been eying one of the suppressed Ruger .22 takedowns too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Interesting, I just bought one of those Ruger 300 BLK rifles yesterday, and am pondering cans as I write this.

I'm also debating submitting a Form 1, and cutting it down to about 10.5
    ".

I'll likely put a 1-4 LPVO on it.
    Huh, never thought about that, but it's genius.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Found a 700 sps youth in 7-08 for my son, and it's been great. He's killed multiple deer with it.

Everyone who has shot it loves it, and 7-08 is a great cartridge. Lately many would go .260 or creedmore, but 7-08 has very wide ammo availability, even in Wally world.

Feedback Score
    the ruger ranch 300 blackout wasn't more than '$450 at the most if I recall.

Quote Originally Posted by usmcvet View Post
    Interesting. I looked at 7-30 Waters for my son when he was little and settled on a Ruger in .357. He’s much older now but the 300 sounds like fun. How was pricing? I’ve been eying one of the suppressed Ruger .22 takedowns too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    204 (100%)
    I would also second the .243 or 7mm-08. Do you reload?

PM inbound..
    Philippians 4:13

Feedback Score
    I got my wife a Remington 700 SPS Youth 243 Win. It has a 20" bbl., 12 3/8" LOP stock. One to think about.

NYH1.

ROLLTIDE!
    NYSRPA Member.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Cdnnsports has the compact ruger American ranch in 300blk for 339 fyi

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Dub View Post
    Cdnnsports has the compact ruger American ranch in 300blk for 339 fyi
    And they now have one less:

I had the scope rings, Magpul sling, Rugged Razor 7.62 suppressor and 5/8" mount already. I had a $150 Amazon gift card burning a hole in my pocket. So the Nikon 2-7x 300 BLK scope cost me $23 delivered.

My FFL gives me a free transfer after five that I have paid for. So I was able to put this together for under $400 out of pocket.

This weekend I'll submit the Form 1 and have the barrel cut down to 10.5" after the stamp comes back next year. In the mean time, my daughter and I are going to slay deer and piggies with it.

And it will be fun to hit steel with. I have a bunch of Hornady 208-grain A-MAX projectiles, some Barnes 110-grain and 130-grain TSX projectiles, and six pounds of AA-1680 powder.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast