Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kids huning rifles

Feedback Score
    You'll love this setup. can't wait for a couple weeks and see my boy lay one out with it.

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    And they now have one less:

I had the scope rings, Magpul sling, Rugged Razor 7.62 suppressor and 5/8" mount already. I had a $150 Amazon gift card burning a hole in my pocket. So the Nikon 2-7x 300 BLK scope cost me $23 delivered.

My FFL gives me a free transfer after five that I have paid for. So I was able to put this together for under $400 out of pocket.

This weekend I'll submit the Form 1 and have the barrel cut down to 10.5" after the stamp comes back next year. In the mean time, my daughter and I are going to slay deer and piggies with it.

And it will be fun to hit steel with. I have a bunch of Hornady 208-grain A-MAX projectiles, some Barnes 110-grain and 130-grain TSX projectiles, and six pounds of AA-1680 powder.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

I had the scope rings, Magpul sling, Rugged Razor 7.62 suppressor and 5/8" mount already. I had a $150 Amazon gift card burning a hole in my pocket. So the Nikon 2-7x 300 BLK scope cost me $23 delivered.

My FFL gives me a free transfer after five that I have paid for. So I was able to put this together for under $400 out of pocket.

This weekend I'll submit the Form 1 and have the barrel cut down to 10.5" after the stamp comes back next year. In the mean time, my daughter and I are going to slay deer and piggies with it.

And it will be fun to hit steel with. I have a bunch of Hornady 208-grain A-MAX projectiles, some Barnes 110-grain and 130-grain TSX projectiles, and six pounds of AA-1680 powder.
    Sweet, I think you might've got the last one. They are out of stock now.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Dang, that is too bad. It does not seem to be a bad rifle for the money.

I have heard from friends that some Walmarts sell the Rugers at a discount some time, just to clear them out. A buddy has a 243 he picked up for his son. He needs to drop an optic on it, so he has not shot it yet.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Kids huning rifles

I’ve got multiple 243 and 7mm-08 rifles that my nieces and nephews use for whitetail. They’re both great calibers for kids. How do you like that Rugged Razor?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by longball; 12-23-17 at 19:03.
    "These skills, just like the fundamentals, are not received on birth. They must be taught, understood, and practiced to maintain proficiency. And like martial arts and copulation, they aren't learned from the internet, a video game, or a magazine article." - Failure2Stop

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    It is a good can, I have a Rugged Surge in NFA jail.

It usually lives on an 8.5" 300 BLK, and does a good job there.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    So how does it shoot?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Kids huning rifles

It is a good can, I have a Rugged Surge in NFA jail.

It usually lives on an 8.5" 300 BLK, and does a good job there.
    That’s good to hear. My wife bought me a Razor for Christmas while they had a big promotion going so it’ll be a while before I see it. I plan to swap it between a couple hunting rifles until I SBR a lower.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "These skills, just like the fundamentals, are not received on birth. They must be taught, understood, and practiced to maintain proficiency. And like martial arts and copulation, they aren't learned from the internet, a video game, or a magazine article." - Failure2Stop

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Dub View Post
    So how does it shoot?
    Not bad at all. I was pretty pleased with how it shot the Magtech 123-grain supers, and the S&B 220-grain subs. I still need to get some data in the book for the Hornady 208-grain AMAX subs. That and the Barnes 110-grain TSX rounds are what I am planning on for hunting.

The only thing that was disappointing was how the magazines were feeding - or rather, not feeding. I'm going to play with them a bit more, then call Ruger for some advice. Getting that first round out of a fully-loaded mag was problematical.

But I'm going to lap the rings, remount the scope, and start working up some load data with a friend.

It was quite a bit of fun to fire off a suppressed subsonic round, and listen to the projectile hit the dirt berm 100 yards downrange. We were also shooting a lot of suppressed .22, and the chillruns had a great time.

Feedback Score
    .243 makes an excellent youth round for Whitetail.

The only mistake I see with .243 is using too light a bullet. Nothing lighter than 90 grains for deer or antelope and it'll do you fine.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12