Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pistol - Minimum Defensive Accuracy Standards

Feedback Score

Pistol - Minimum Defensive Accuracy Standards

I know it's largely subjective but I'm interested in what you consider to be the minimum defensive accuracy standards you hold yourselves, students, and/or officers to. I'm more focused on concealed carry but am interested in pistol shooting standards in general. For me, working towards headshots at 25 yards has been my goal and I've just recently been able to achieve this. My pistol is an "old" Gen 3 Glock 19 with Ameriglo Hackathorn sights. I'm always trying to improve my shooting ability and diversify my training so that I can be better prepared to defend myself and my loved ones. Please let me know what you consider your minimum accuracy standards. Thanks.

Feedback Score
    I feel okay with a 5 inch group, but I'd really prefer a 4. (5 shots)

After that it's better to put more rounds in the same group faster than just shoot a tighter group IMO.

It's pretty much like you said; head and heart-sized groups.

I think were talking about guns Glock 43/M&P shield-sized and up here. And snub revolvers. Obviously this isn't going to happen with a pocket gun. By pocket gun I mean the Kahr PM .380, Beretta .25's, NAA mini's, S&W Bodyguard sized guns.
    Last edited by Ron3; 10-09-17 at 19:42.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    Obviously this isn't going to happen with a pocket pistol. I think were talking about guns Glock 43/M&P shield-sized and up here. And snub revolvers.
    The **** it isn't!

You should be able to hit a 4" circle at 25 yards with any handgun you choose to carry. You're at the nice range. You ate that morning. You've got appropriate clothing on. You didn't just run 3 miles or get shot at. There is literally no excuse not to be able to perform at that level with a gun you choose to defend yourself with in ideal conditions. It just means you don't practice enough.

ETA:

This is an image on Dec 2 of last year of a target I was shooting at, at 15 yards with a Glock 43. The casual glance will notice that I missed the 6. The discerning eye will see that I shot a fly.

Yes, the insect.

Don't tell us a pocket pistol isn't good for "head and heart-sized" groups.
    Last edited by Eurodriver; 10-09-17 at 18:32.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    I feel okay with a 5 inch group, but I'd really prefer a 4. (5 shots)

After that it's better to put more rounds in the same group faster than just shoot a tighter group IMO.

It's pretty much like you said; head and heart-sized groups.

Obviously this isn't going to happen with a pocket pistol. I think were talking about guns Glock 43/M&P shield-sized and up here. And snub revolvers.
    Lol wrong.

G43s and snubs are still sending lead at 900 fps +/- through a rifled barrel.

Its not like its a Harper's Ferry or anything

ETA 25 yards isnt that far.

Feedback Score
    I think there has been a misunderstanding.

I edited my original post.

By "pocket pistol" I meant guns SMALLER than Glock 43's, snub revolvers, etc. Think Kahr PM380, NAA mini, Beretta .25, S&W Bodyguard.

As much as I like the pocket Beretta .25's I sure as heck can't shoot 4 inch groups with it at 25 yds! "upper Torso" though is doable.

I had no problems shooting 5 inch groups at 25 yds with a Glock 42 and S&W Shield .45. (the G42 had stoppages though) And can do it with my Ruger LCR as well.
    Last edited by Ron3; 10-09-17 at 20:09.

Feedback Score
    I agree we should be striving for those results.

I will say, however, not everyone is there yet, and I wouldn't suggest keeping the gun at home. Just know your capability. Someone who doesn't practice and thinks they can keep a 4" group at 25 is much more dangerous than someone who can only keep a pie plate at 7 yds but knows it.

Euro - I hope you framed that thing. And yes the shield sized guns are surprisingly easy to shoot at 25yds. I've never shot anything smaller.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I don't think there's ever a point when you can say that you're too accurate. Goals are great! Set a goal, reach a goal; but you should always strive to be better. I've never subscribed to the "good enough" mentality.

Now that you can hold a head-sized group at 25, either push it out further, or strive for [what I know as a] t-box at the same distance.
    "All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke

"It is better to be thought a fool and to remain silent, than to speak and remove all doubt." -Abraham Lincoln

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by echo5whiskey View Post

Now that you can hold a head-sized group at 25, either push it out further, or strive for [what I know as a] t-box at the same distance.
    I'd also add try to shoot that group faster.

Feedback Score
    That's at a static target.

What about a dynamic one? Kahr 9 used here, five for five:

Feedback Score
    Fist sized group out to 15 yards.

25 yards, all shots in the 9 ring or better
    * Just Your Average Jewish Redneck *
    Participant in Year-Long Gun Fighting Training Program
    Competition Shooter in NRA, CMP, IDPA
    Past part-time sales at national firearms retailer, Never came close to breaking even!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast