G&R Tactical
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pistol - Minimum Defensive Accuracy Standards

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    I've come to realize that I either hit what I aim at, or miss. Using "combat shooting", "combat effective", and "center of mass" were more comforting ways to view my failures, but in the end I was missing.
    Were you missing? Or were you placing rounds in the center mass of the target?

My point is group size is cool and all, but an a zone hit is an a zone hit. Say a qual stage is 4rds in 2 seconds from 3yds. If all 4rds are a zone hits, why care about group size. I see the relevancy in something like bullseye target shooting, not defensive pistol shooting.

That's my point I guess.
    Last edited by J-Dub; 10-13-17 at 01:50.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Dub View Post
    Were you missing? Or were you placing rounds in the center mass of the target?

My point is group size is cool and all, but an a zone hit is an a zone hit. Say a qual stage is 4rds in 2 seconds from 3yds. If all 4rds are a zone hits, why care about group size. I see the relevancy in something like bullseye target shooting, not defensive pistol shooting.

That's my point I guess.
    Every string of fire produces a "group". And a target is a defined size. The entire group either hits the intended target or it doesn't.

Center of mass is not a quick way to incapacitate. CNS and heart are the most effective. In defensive shooting, you hit them or you don't. All a-zone hits mean you are producing a specific sized group.

Tighter groups at a given distance mean increased distanced effectiveness. A zone is not a perfect representation of human anatomy.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 10-13-17 at 05:56.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    I've come to realize that I either hit what I aim at, or miss. Using "combat shooting", "combat effective", and "center of mass" were more comforting ways to view my failures, but in the end I was missing.

I am a big believer in the use of the B8 bullseye as a pistol accuracy standard, regardless of distance. Score it, time it, record it, and hold yourself accountable. Work hard. Do better each time.

We are definitely on the same page. Being able to shoot accurately helps to develop the ability to shoot effectively at speed.
    Youth and talent are no match for age, experience and treachery

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    Every string of fire produces a "group". And a target is a defined size. The entire group either hits the intended target or it doesn't.

Center of mass is not a quick way to incapacitate. CNS and heart are the most effective. In defensive shooting, you hit them or you don't. All a-zone hits mean you are producing a specific sized group.

Tighter groups at a given distance mean increased distanced effectiveness. A zone is not a perfect representation of human anatomy.
    Yes. This is a discussion on "minimum defensive accuracy standards", I thought. If you keep all of your rounds inside the normal a zone on an ipsc target, at a minimum, I'd say that's acceptable. Probably not for most ninjas that get in gunfight everyday, but hey we can all strive for greatness.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123