Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pistol - Minimum Defensive Accuracy Standards

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    I'd also add try to shoot that group faster.
    Good point. I would only caution not to sacrifice accuracy in favor of speed. ...although I know that's kind of a hot topic.
    "All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke

"It is better to be thought a fool and to remain silent, than to speak and remove all doubt." -Abraham Lincoln

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by echo5whiskey View Post
    Good point. I would only caution not to sacrifice accuracy in favor of speed. ...although I know that's kind of a hot topic.
    IDPA / USPSA is a great way to learn the sweet spot between accuracy & speed. Anyone can enter, lots of local events available. Has given me the confidence to know I can hit center mass on multiple targets at a fast pace.
    * Just Your Average Jewish Redneck *
    Participant in Year-Long Gun Fighting Training Program
    Competition Shooter in NRA, CMP, IDPA
    Past part-time sales at national firearms retailer, Never came close to breaking even!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Time on target to center of mass is more important. In most situations you aren't going to have time to aim and focus, which is why your trigger technique needs to become muscle memory, which is why quals use timers.
    Never has any of my official qualifications required headshots past 15 yards. Pistol failure drill ( two to the body one to head ) is usually a 10-15 yard part of the overall qual. At 25 yards it is a few things like, one shot on target reload two shots on target center of mass in 4-5 seconds, and stuff like that.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnatus15 View Post
    I know it's largely subjective but I'm interested in what you consider to be the minimum defensive accuracy standards you hold yourselves, students, and/or officers to. I'm more focused on concealed carry but am interested in pistol shooting standards in general. For me, working towards headshots at 25 yards has been my goal and I've just recently been able to achieve this. My pistol is an "old" Gen 3 Glock 19 with Ameriglo Hackathorn sights. I'm always trying to improve my shooting ability and diversify my training so that I can be better prepared to defend myself and my loved ones. Please let me know what you consider your minimum accuracy standards. Thanks.
    Combat effective hits. Nothing else matters. You can shoot for pretty groups all day. However when your under stress, even training stress such as a timer or physical output (moving your azzz), combat effective hits count.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Dub View Post
    Combat effective hits. Nothing else matters. You can shoot for pretty groups all day. However when your under stress, even training stress such as a timer or physical output (moving your azzz), combat effective hits count.
    +1

I thought my firearms training would be fun, but I don't think I have ever felt as stupid or as stressed as when I was getting proper training. If you have a good instructor, they will push your limits and get your blood pumping.
    I love shooting very much, but I don't enjoy quals at all because it is stressful... And that stress, made me a much better marksman. When you get good with a pistol, your rifle marksmanship will really start to shine.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Do we have two threads on the same subject? https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...racy-Standards
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    If your range will allow it, I would recommend getting experience shooting while on the move.
    Would also recommend arranging targets that move although that may be more difficult to set up at a public facility.

Tight groups on a square range can be the foundation but I think you will probably be moving and the perp will too.

Feedback Score
    Deleted.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 10-12-17 at 07:50.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
    If your range will allow it, I would recommend getting experience shooting while on the move.
    Would also recommend arranging targets that move although that may be more difficult to set up at a public facility.

Tight groups on a square range can be the foundation but I think you will probably be moving and the perp will too.
    +1 on all points

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I've come to realize that I either hit what I aim at, or miss. Using "combat shooting", "combat effective", and "center of mass" were more comforting ways to view my failures, but in the end I was missing.

I am a big believer in the use of the B8 bullseye as a pistol accuracy standard, regardless of distance. Score it, time it, record it, and hold yourself accountable. Work hard. Do better each time.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast