Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone. see the 30 cal Hornady ELD (not Match) their hunting version in stock?

Feedback Score
    204 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    Once I got them ordered I realized the hunting bullet is a 220 grain not 225, not that it matters. If I can get 2900 fps out of 220’s , that would be a wind beater. I would only change to have a hunter load that had better BC and only for wind.

You don’t always get a second shot to correct for wind up in the mountains

PB
    That is very true. Especially if out west and some of the shots must be at distance. Most everything I have shot the last few years have been inside 250. Had a nice 7x7 bull at 600 but couldn't get a good hold on it from my position. Had to pass. Kills me to this day.
    Philippians 4:13

Feedback Score
    204 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    Jwk, good info. We are very similar in our loads.

Our 200 grain Accubond load is 76grains H1000 with Norma brass win large rifle primers. Like you it's half inch gun but we where getting slightly over 3000fps if I remember correctly. The last load of H1000 was not as hot but I have some ammo from older hotter lot, and our other reloading buddy got some less hot our than our load ( possible). Could be gun too.

When Mark loaded the 225's with 75 grains of H1000 , RWS brass, he had to muscle the bullet in. Ultra compressed load. That damn RWS brass is tuff stuff. Wish I had 200 more fresh pieces.
    Yes it's interesting what different lots and power can do. Different rifle/barrels could make that difference also. As long as it shoots is what I say. I would like to be in the 3050+ ideally but for the slight difference it wasn't worth it for me. I know the holds and I'm good with the performance at that speed. I've been playing around with H4831 but haven't found the success H1000 is giving me.

I'm shooting a Browning Hells Canyon LR with McMillian stock. And a TB ultra 7 can on this rifle. Kahles 624i Skmr3. Thing has become my favorite big game hunting rifle rather quickly.
    Philippians 4:13

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwknutson17 View Post
    Yes it's interesting what different lots and power can do. Different rifle/barrels could make that difference also. As long as it shoots is what I say. I would like to be in the 3050+ ideally but for the slight difference it wasn't worth it for me. I know the holds and I'm good with the performance at that speed. I've been playing around with H4831 but haven't found the success H1000 is giving me.

I'm shooting a Browning Hells Canyon LR with McMillian stock. And a TB ultra 7 can on this rifle. Kahles 624i Skmr3. Thing has become my favorite big game hunting rifle rather quickly.
    We had no luck with H4831, H1000 has been so good with so many bullets in 300WM, I'll never leave it until I run out of H1000. Varget for 308 and H1000 for 300WM, it just works.

I had a heavish barrel Browning hunter in 300WM, I believe before they called it the Hells Canyon but basically the same. It never shot great and it never saw H1000, interesting. I remember when we found H1000, we said "I bet it was the powder". Im shooting a Winchester action, Kreiger barrel, Timney trigger at 2.75lbs, McMillan stock bedded and built by the Riflesmith in Mesa AZ. Nightforce F1 3-15 scope. I also had the gun NP3'd at Robar. I went all out and it shoots like yours. I pull it out every hunting season and it clover leafs, just time after time. I hope to never sell that gun.

Your gun sounds awesome, I have a TBAC can, but that Ultra 7 for hunting, kick ass, not to mention a Kayles scope-LEGIT hunter. I have wanted to suppress my 338WM, as I have a Sig 338LM can but still working up a load and its my back up gun. Actually just finished getting a sub Moa load, need to get DOPE now.

Did you get any tags this year? Shoot anything or plan to hunt? I have an Elk tag in AZ in a great unit , 23. Dec 1st.

PB
    Last edited by Pappabear; 10-05-17 at 14:33.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwknutson17 View Post
    That is very true. Especially if out west and some of the shots must be at distance. Most everything I have shot the last few years have been inside 250. Had a nice 7x7 bull at 600 but couldn't get a good hold on it from my position. Had to pass. Kills me to this day.
    I just keep reading this and it hurts my gut, because I had a similar experience. A MONSTER bull walked in front of me at 300 yards and was directly behind a scrub bush, very easy to shoot through. My Buddy said, "take him" , the so called guide wanted to the one to call the shots, so he said "wait he is going to walk out in the middle and piss on that flat rock then shoot him". With adrenaline rushing I couldn't fathom how stupid that comment was so I did as he said- GONE! It was the most beautiful bull with a greyish coat and a whales tail that went for days.

Your story hurt me. A 7X7 comes around about every 9 million years. In December, Im going to pull this thread back up with either the thrill of victory or agony of defeat!

PB
    Last edited by Pappabear; 10-06-17 at 15:15.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12