Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Solid NON-AIMPOINT Home Defense Optics for Astigmatism (EXPS2, P4Xi, etc.)

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Solid NON-AIMPOINT Home Defense Optics for Astigmatism (EXPS2, P4Xi, etc.)

I've searched and read through a lot of old threads but have not come upon a clear breakdown of other non-LED RDS options that are rugged and trustworthy for defending life and property. There are a couple that touch on it, but none that I've found that really break it down.

I've run an Aimpoint PRO on my HD 6720 and it's very fast and workable at close quarters distances, but due to astigmatism I get the whole blurry/starred dot effect and end up dropping down to BUIS for anything over 25yds or so for precision work. Minute of man is doable with the dot for a good bit further but it's frustrating to be limited by gear like that.

I'm a Toyota/Glock/Colt guy so I like bombproof gear. With that said is there anything on the vetted and recommended list for non LED optics in the sub $700 price bracket? The EO Tech reticle is crisp for me, and obviously LPVs like the Steiner P4Xi are as well at 1x, but I cannot find a good consensus of experienced opinions here that state whether those outlier options are dependable and rugged enough for home defense, LE work, etc.

This optic will be going on a new 6920 Trooper that will be 100% dedicated to home and property defense - inside the house and out to 200yds or so outdoors. The bombproof standard is a 6920 with an Aimpoint PRO. Is there any other option in the same relative price bracket that is not a LED red dot? If not I'll just run another Aimpoint (maybe a micro) and accept the limitations at distance. I *cannot* have an optic on this rifle that is not Aimpoint quality.

As much as I hate to ask this - If there is nothing in the $700 bracket of Aimpoint quality - what is the least expensive option for a non-LED that is truly dependable in this use case?

Thanks in advance, everyone.

Feedback Score
    48 (100%)
    Not sure if this will help you but here it is. I have an astigmatism as well. I run a T1 on my carbine. On longer shots or shots where I want to be precise and when I’m not wearing my prescription glasses I look through the aperture on my rear buis at the dot and target. It really sharpens the dot up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Yes that's how I currently handle it, and it certainly helps. It would just be nice to not need to do that, yet still retain the Aimpoint durability of the setup.

The Steiner P4Xi at 1x is great, as is the Vortex Viper PST. I just don't have the sense that they are rugged enough to trust for life and death use. If I'm wrong and they are, that would be great as they are much more versatile than the blurry RDS with a rear peep.
    Last edited by grizzlyblake; 10-03-17 at 07:51.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    You mentioned the EO Tech why not use one of their new improvements models? The EO should fit your budget. A Trijicon 1-4 or 1-6 or the optic the Marines are using would all work too. You are going to spend more than $700 but you’ll get what you want. Sell the Aimpoint and use $700 more and you’ll be good to go.

"Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    This will be an interesting thread for me. Hopefully several people will chime in about the durability/ruggedness of the Steiner.

I am debating about starting to pinch pennies for a 1-4x scoped GP upper. Based on reticles(and how the reticle illuminates), the only two I really like are the P4xi and the Nightforce NXS. Unfortunately, it is quite a bit of a price jump between them.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Are the Trijicon Accupowers considered life and death reliable? Under $900 with a quality mount isn't unreasonable.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I’ve got an astigmatism as well...and I run an Aimpoint T2 on my SBR. I’m running a Trijicon TA02 LED ACOG on my middy and it has worked out great! The etched reticle allows me to turn it off or way down if necessary to keep a crisp reticle, 4X is enough for the distance referenced, BAC works for me, it’s daylight bright, built like a tank, and I got it for around $900...

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Trijicon 1-4 Accupoint with triangle reticle is quick on target, tip of triangle is precise enough for 300 yd "bad guy" hits.
    It has held up well banging around in the Ranger at the ranch.
    I like the Tritium/fiber optic lume.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I have an astigmatism in my dominant eye, and as a result went with the low power TA47 ACOG. It works well for me.
    President of Trigon Armament Inc.

FFL-07 SOT-02

AR-15 Armorer

Competitive Shooter

Feedback Score
    I would say that the accupowers are rugged. Trijicon hasn't put out an optic that isn't. Aaron Cowan put all of the accupowers through drop tests. My 1-8 is pretty tough and has withstood being bang against barricades going in and out of dump barrels. My TR24 has been super durable, Kyle lamb used the TR21 over seas according to one of his books

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast