Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Constructive Ownership of an SBR

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
    Where are you seeing anything saying it is illegal?

You have a Colt 6921 (14.5") for example.

How in the world is having additional uppers (16" 10.3, take your pick) illegal? It is not possible to make an illegal gun.
    Exactly. An SBR is an SBR. A 10.3” barrel is not more illegal than a 15.9” barrel.

I cannot stand gun owners. I have to get away from this forum for my own sanity. Talking molon labe out one side of their mouth and multiple conversations with an ATF contact out of the other.

If I were an ATF agent I would raid the **** out of that guys house just to get him to stop asking so many damn questions.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky5019 View Post
    Where are you seeing that because we’ve had to inform them in writing at their insistence of a change in the length. No harm no foul in this case but I couldn’t find anything to the contrary.
    No...you've never "had" to inform them. They recommend you tell them, if it's a permanent change. They can only recommend because there's no regulation to back up them requiring it. On top of that, there's not much you can do (with an AR platform) that's considered permanent.

To save me retyping or summarizing, here's a post from somebody else in a similar bread on ARF:

Originally Posted By TitleII:

Sounds like your are talking about an AR15 variant platform.

I have been told personally by Martinsburg that there is not such thing as a permanent change to an AR-15 platform.

I have been told personally by Martinsburg that they don't want to hear about temporary changes.

My change notification ended up requiring lengthy explanations as to the specifics of the change. A real pain.

In other words, NO, don't notify them. No, don't worry about having the ability to return the gun to its Form 1 description at a moments notice. The reason that your change is temporary, is that you can always buy another 10.5 inch barrel.

I have been told personally by Martinsburg that, depending on the examiner, there might be some confusion if you sell the gun, but it will be worked out.

I don't think anyone really ever plans to sell a Form 1 gun.

Ask me how I know all of this.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
    Where are you seeing anything saying it is illegal?

You have a Colt 6921 (14.5") for example.

How in the world is having additional uppers (16" 10.3, take your pick) illegal? It is not possible to make an illegal gun.
    First, I’ve found very little of this minutia in print...

Second, I’ve operated off of what atf has told me in response to our questions. I know that can be variable but it’s kept us out of trouble to this point.

16” or anything “normally legal” is no problem. 10.3, 11.5, 12.5 could be depending how it was registered. If it started as a 12.5 and you added the others, they wanted a letter stating that.

I’d rather it be free and clear that SBR is SBR regardless of length. It’s easier. I couldn’t find anything supporting it either way so I went the conservative route so I didn’t advise a customer wrong.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    "An opinion solicited does not equal one freely voiced," Al Swearengen, Deadwood 1877.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Second, I’ve operated off of what atf has told me in response to our questions.
    there is the problem...

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigWaylon View Post
    No...you've never "had" to inform them. They recommend you tell them, if it's a permanent change. They can only recommend because there's no regulation to back up them requiring it. On top of that, there's not much you can do (with an AR platform) that's considered permanent.

To save me retyping or summarizing, here's a post from somebody else in a similar bread on ARF:
    Fair enough. Y’all I’m all for it being this way. I tell the guys what atf has told me and I tell them they are big boys and can do what they want. I don’t want to get jacked up behind giving a customer misinformation in a nebulous area. I hate that we have make these distinctions.

Those of you who are 07/02, what do you tell your customers?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    "An opinion solicited does not equal one freely voiced," Al Swearengen, Deadwood 1877.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Those of you who are 07/02, what do you tell your customers?
    Thank you for your business?

Why are you getting involved in giving legal advice to customers? Are you a lawyer? Insured for this?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Obviously.

They have questions and I provide the information that atf gave me to the same questions I had and I refer them to NFA for further clarification.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)

Constructive Ownership of an SBR

Where is markm when you need him. I think he still decorates his Christmas tree with SBR uppers. I have a hacksaw and a pipe cutter. Is that constructive passion too? Nope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by usmcvet; 10-30-17 at 11:37.
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by usmcvet View Post
    ...I have a hacksaw and a pipe cutter. Is that constructive passion too?
    Bubba will not let the lack of proper tools quench his passion for construction
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Had I seen this thread sooner, I most likely would have shot myself 3 weeks ago. Basically a few people have posted correct information and the rest have posted conjecture and complete misinformation.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast