Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for a new rail

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Alkayus View Post
    I wish but the wife is not amiable to such things at the moment (more than one AR; doesnt make sense to her lol)
    Also just did some reading up on Troy; had no idea about what went down. Was curious after seeing so many "**** troy" comments.
    So yeah, pretty sold on the Geissele (including ease of installation) but idk why I still have a curiosity about the DD and now BCM has their MLOK...
    As for selling the RIS II, its a good possibility.

Do you have a steady ammo budget?
    How is the current setup holding you back?

If there are no glaring hardware issues holding you back, money is likely better spent on ammo.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    Keep the Centurion Arms and the BCM in mind as well. I'm assuming that you are wanting to go lighter weight, and either of those rails would do that nicely.

You can always trade your current rail for what you want, and probably get some cash or some extras out of it as well.
    I would say that lighter is certainly a factor whilst remaining very durable (thoughts go to Geissele), but equally for me is the diameter of the rail. Looking for a slimmer profile than a pic rail for gripping options and comfort. I know everyone is different but the ergonomics of a slimmer rail would be more ideal for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    BCM MLOK with Centurion Arms MLOK covers in place.

Geissele MLOK rail with Magpul covers in place.

Centurion Arms MLOK rail naked

Prototype Centurion Arms MLOK rail with Magpul MLOK panels.

For some reason the pictures are not showing for me (just bold titles) The "quote" shows the address but then my work computer wont let me go lol, figures. Will try to take a look from my phone later.
    "Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company." - George Washington

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    Depends on what you're doing.

Using a laser? Get a Geissele or Wedgelock. They are the most rigid rails on the market which is a must to keep a laser zeroed with minimal deflection.

If not you can save some weight by going with a BCM or Centurion.
    Not at the moment but would like the possibility in the future without needing to change rails again haha

Quote Originally Posted by MisterHelix View Post
    IMO, just leave your rifle how it is and shoot the piss out of it, unless you have a pressing need. "Looks" don't qualify as a pressing need for me.

If you want something lower profile for weight savings and ergonomics (less cheese grater like) the Noveske or BCM keymod or m-lol rails work fine.

My son has the Geissele on one of his rifles, and though it is obviously a high quality part, the end of the rail at the receiver surrounding the Q/D seems pretty sharp to me, and I handle my rifles from that point pretty often. YMMV.

(Edit: leave your barrel alone. There's no need to "upgrade" your DD carbine 16" barrel. Just go shoot)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    Do you have a steady ammo budget?
    How is the current setup holding you back?

If there are no glaring hardware issues holding you back, money is likely better spent on ammo.
    The main reason, as I replied to Stickman a tad earlier, would be for a combination of weight savings and ergonomics; besides the cheese-grater feel (i have those DD covers), grip ergonomics.
    I'd say I have a pretty steady flow of ammo availability. I have ample overtime opportunities every week (which also pays double time) which is primary the money I use for shooting expenses and the rifle. Not saying I'm rich or something nor trying to brag in any way, just trying to establish, since queried, that I have plenty for ammo and shooting, which is done as often as I can.
    I'm not looking to just "trick out" my rifle or something, thinking that will have some bearing on fundamentals or skills, but would also like to have my rifle set up how I like and how works for me. I'm not a new shooter though I am new to AR's. Primarily have shot traditionally stocked rifles; Mini-14 (which I still have), M1A, Garand, Ruger Scout, Remington 700, etc.
    "Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company." - George Washington

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12