Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Benchmark Times to Shoot For With Your AR15 - An M4C Collaboration Project

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    !!! a 1/3 IPSC is tiny. No wonder you can't see it. If someone could hit that with anything less than a 10x optic, match ammo, and a stainless barrel at that range I would tip my hat. We are talking something that's 1 MOA wide and 1.8 MOA tall.

Even a 1/2 IPSC is significantly larger, but that is a stretch. A full size C Zone painted white with a dark background at 500/600 should be relatively easy to see, and not be an unrealistic goal to hit it.
    What size are the targets you are shooting at from 600 with your SBR? I can certainly see a person 600 yards away from me...they're a little fuzzy.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have a 2/3 sized IPSC steel target. At 500 yards it starts getting difficult to see out in the desert without magnification. Unless I find a good open clear spot to put it.

I love hearing people tell me that a SBR 5.56 cant shoot range or a 5.56 in general is only good to 300 yards. I have a friends with kills at over 400 yards with a Mk18. I shot my DMR out to around 1000 before and out to 800 on several occasions at the range.

One of the things I like to do with new AR shooters is have them shoot longish ranges early on. It shows them what a rifle is capable of and boosts their confidence. Recently took a friend of mine shooting who had never fired a rifle before. After 2 hours I had him hitting a rock on the side of a hill 275 yards away regularly. Took another buddy from LA out shooting. He had a couple ARs but had only ever shot them at 25 yards at an indoor range. He had serious doubts about hitting anything at range. After I got him a decent zero we set my 2/3 IPSC out at 230 yards (longest available at that location) and he hit it on his first shot, standing.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Great thread. I'm always looking for different drills to run. I have been running the 2-2-2 Drill. 25 yards, 3 IPSC silhouettes. 2 shots to center mass on each. Flexible enough to work on transition to pistol, or center mass to head shots. Par times variable as to what is involved.

Thanks for posting.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C-grunt View Post
    One of the things I like to do with new AR shooters is have them shoot longish ranges early on. It shows them what a rifle is capable of and boosts their confidence.
    Without a doubt. I will have new guys shoot at 50 yards to teach them the principles and basics, then we go straight to 500 yards, then walk backwards with everything in between. To see their eyes and smiles when they move from 50 yards to 500, it's a lot of fun.

Feedback Score
    Sounds like something fun to do with my go-pro session.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Ok, got to run the C-Grunt "SEAL" drill today. If I have the scoring proper, 15 shots in 34 secs; add 18 secs since I was 9 over the par time and another 15 secs for three shots outside the 8 ring, for 67 secs. Boy do I have some work to do!

I was running the drill with an 11.5" with T1 RDS, G S3G trigger and IMI M193 ammo. First run may have been the best as all my shots were in the 8 ring but the time was indeterminate account I was running suppressed no the timer didn't pick up the shots.

Under 25 secs is a great goal. First I have to get under 40 secs though. Great drill. I ran it about 5 times and all were close to the same. Course of fire finished in about 35 secs with 3 outside the ring almost every time.

NC
    Last edited by nightchief; 10-18-17 at 19:31.

Feedback Score
    I really like Kyle Defoor's tests. I've only had the opportunity to do 1 and 2 as our range only goes to 150 or so.

https://defoor-proformance-shooting....shooting-tests

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by nightchief View Post
    Ok, got to run the C-Grunt "SEAL" drill today. If I have the scoring proper, 15 shots in 34 secs; add 18 secs since I was 9 over the par time and another 15 secs for three shots outside the 8 ring, for 67 secs. Boy do I have some work to do!

I was running the drill with an 11.5" with T1 RDS, G S3G trigger and IMI M193 ammo. First run may have been the best as all my shots were in the 8 ring but the time was indeterminate account I was running suppressed no the timer didn't pick up the shots.

Under 25 secs is a great goal. First I have to get under 40 secs though. Great drill. I ran it about 5 times and all were close to the same. Course of fire finished in about 35 secs with 3 outside the ring almost every time.

NC
    Nice! I’m thankful C Grunt posted that. There’s a lot of things people can do to push the performance envelope but unfortunately they can be difficult to standardize due to range conditions and availability of space. The MNQ however can be done on just about any Range as long as they allow different positions.

Where do you think you can improve? I have always spent a ton of time practicing reloads and transitions to different positions because that’s free time. The faster I reload or drop to a knee the more time I have to focus on getting rounds on target. You were also shooting suppressed which in my experience actually slows you down. I’m not sure by how much but it was about 10% at least (on a different drill though)

Misses penalize you more than time, so try to focus on shooting clean and then get faster from there.
    Last edited by Eurodriver; 10-20-17 at 10:55.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    I’m looking forward to trying the Cgrunt over the next couple of weeks. I know reloads will kill me as I have never worked on carbine reloads... still very cool!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Can we use something like a B-27 with an 8" Shoot n c? I don't think any of LGS's around here have the TQ-19-AZ.

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast