Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Update on Remington LE Bolt Bolt Guns?

Feedback Score

Update on Remington LE Bolt Bolt Guns?

Locally, there are still many "negative vibs" relative to QC at Remington; would like to have input from recent purchasers. Any LE Remington 700P or LTR Rifles in 6.5 Creedmoor or .260? Threaded? Rifles from Huntsville?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    My brother's Remington tactical in 308 has been wonderful. His is the one with short barrell and threaded. I would buy one.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    My experience?

2016 700P in .223 and one in .308.

1) Firing pin hole in the bolt way too big. Primer flow, pierced primers, light strikes.
    2) Bolt handle too far back, zero primary extraction.
    3) Chamber throated way too long.
    4) Rear of the receiver top on a lower plane than the front. Scope base needs bedding.

Other than that, they're actually straighter and squarer than the older ones. They both shot sub-moa out of the box, but you're essentially getting a wobbly, wore-out gun.

Travis Stevens rebuilt my .223 and $2500 later it's a pretty nice rifle!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

My very old (2008?) rem 700ltr in .223 (bedded, threaded and re-crowned) is the 1/4 MOA tack driver of my dreams. My other rem700s have been good, but not amazing. I think I like my Bergara 6.5cm better than all the Remmys but the .223, but it’s still only about a .75 MOA gun. Still putting some work into it. My ‘smith said that he thought the Bergara was a pretty faithful reproduction of a 700 to include the receiver-barrel thread, but slightly better done. So in conclusion, look at other options, but balance the price and there may be some viable options vs. the older tried and true Remmy.
    Last edited by sandsunsurf; 10-08-17 at 23:40.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Picked up a new Remington 700 Tactical Chassis (MDT TAC 21). At the range sighting in with Hornady 300 Win Mag 200 gr ELD-X® Precision Hunter®. Rounds fed easily; however, once fired the bolt becomes difficult to open - requires a lot of force. Fired 20 rounds and same problem with each. Weapon was cleaned and lubed prior to trip to the range. Contacted Hornady and they replied: "We have two employees that had chamber issues, one recut their chamber and the other had theirs polished and it corrected the issue.* You might inquire with Remington about this it sounds to be the same issue." Contacted Remington and their response: "Sounds like something in the chamber and we would need to bring that in to get that fixed."

Not a good sign concerning quality control.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CRT2 View Post
    Picked up a new Remington 700 Tactical Chassis (MDT TAC 21). At the range sighting in with Hornady 300 Win Mag 200 gr ELD-X® Precision Hunter®. Rounds fed easily; however, once fired the bolt becomes difficult to open - requires a lot of force. Fired 20 rounds and same problem with each. Weapon was cleaned and lubed prior to trip to the range. Contacted Hornady and they replied: "We have two employees that had chamber issues, one recut their chamber and the other had theirs polished and it corrected the issue.* You might inquire with Remington about this it sounds to be the same issue." Contacted Remington and their response: "Sounds like something in the chamber and we would need to bring that in to get that fixed."

That is definitely not encouraging news.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Check out the savage lineup.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CRT2 View Post
    Picked up a new Remington 700 Tactical Chassis (MDT TAC 21). At the range sighting in with Hornady 300 Win Mag 200 gr ELD-X Precision Hunter. Rounds fed easily; however, once fired the bolt becomes difficult to open - requires a lot of force. Fired 20 rounds and same problem with each. Weapon was cleaned and lubed prior to trip to the range. Contacted Hornady and they replied: "We have two employees that had chamber issues, one recut their chamber and the other had theirs polished and it corrected the issue.* You might inquire with Remington about this it sounds to be the same issue." Contacted Remington and their response: "Sounds like something in the chamber and we would need to bring that in to get that fixed."

There have been lots of reports of poor quality control at Hornady recently. I wouldn't be quick to throw Remington under the bus for this one. Those are classic over-pressure signs. Remington wants to CYA. Remington reputation is typically generous chambers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score

In 2017, don't look toward Remington, Savage, Winchester, etc anymore.

If you want a factory rifle, look at Tikka T3X CTRs. Also consider the Howa line.

Otherwise, build a semi-custom. I really like the Remington action, especially the older ones. But their QC sucks almost as bad as Savage.

I would look for a used custom 700 or just buy an AAC "Tactical" model and gamble that you may need to rebarrel it *if* you insist on a Remington action.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ghostly; 10-13-17 at 21:09.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Bergara is pretty sweet too.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast