Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Update on Remington LE Bolt Bolt Guns?

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostly View Post
    In 2017, don't look toward Remington, Savage, Winchester, etc anymore.
    Not being a smart-ass, as I would genuinely like to know, but could you clarify this statement? My last experience with Remington and Savage bolt guns was nearly 10 years ago now, and they were both fine guns. One was an issued M24 and the Savage was a friend's poor-man's precision rifle. Has quality on all of the big players really slipped that bad?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    In 2017, don't look toward Remington, Savage, Winchester, etc anymore.

If you want a factory rifle, look at Tikka T3X CTRs. Also consider the Howa line.

Otherwise, build a semi-custom. I really like the Remington action, especially the older ones. But their QC sucks almost as bad as Savage.

I would look for a used custom 700 or just buy an AAC "Tactical" model and gamble that you may need to rebarrel it *if* you insist on a Remington action.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It would seem that the big 3 that you mentioned are racing their way to the bottom. My experience has been hit and miss with Remington the last couple years with one 700 shooting sub MOA and the other two couldn't shoot inside 2 MOA with match ammo.

The Tikka option is not as good of a deal as it once was and while they have their oddities, they do shoot well.

While no personal experience, looking at what Bergera is offering these days, I think they are the best bang for the buck and use a Remington footprint which opens up a whole world of options.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Some guy at the range said if the gun had the digital etching code thingy under the bolt handle, your action was likely good because it was all CNC'd at one station.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I owned 223 308 and 300wm Remmy 700 5 r guns. All were 1/2 inch guns.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    I owned 223 308 and 300wm Remmy 700 5 r guns. All were 1/2 inch guns.
    What year production?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I bought them 5 or 6 years ago. My 223 was the most accurate. It cloverleaf all the time for 5 shot groups.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    I had good luck with Remington's from the same time. My 2013 and my spouse's 2016 aren't doing so great. I actually own a 2010-2011 CDL that is a laser that's chambered in a cartridge not necessarily known for accuracy. I'm currently in need of a new varmint rifle in .223 and I'm heavily leaning to Tikka or Sako because I'm afraid to give Remington another shot. I have 500 pieces of Lapua brass and an S&B waiting....

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I had good luck with Remington's from the same time. My 2013 and my spouse's 2016 aren't doing so great. I actually own a 2010-2011 CDL that is a laser that's chambered in a cartridge not necessarily known for accuracy. I'm currently in need of a new varmint rifle in .223 and I'm heavily leaning to Tikka or Sako because I'm afraid to give Remington another shot. I have 500 pieces of Lapua brass and an S&B waiting....

I owned a TIKKA in 22-250 and it was a laser beam too. Sold it because I planned to buy it in 223 but never did. Tikka is hard to beat. Very hard to beat.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    I owned a TIKKA in 22-250 and it was a laser beam too. Sold it because I planned to buy it in 223 but never did. Tikka is hard to beat. Very hard to beat.
    Indeed. I had a guy trade me a NIB T3X in .308 a few weeks ago. I stuck my Mark 4 on it and started load development. For a plastic stock and unfloated barrel, I can't settle on a load. I've tried six bullets with six powder combos and it shoots them all 3/4" with occasional 1/2" groups from each combo. I don't think I'll see a difference until I put a good stock on it...not that it's needed for whitetail.

As a Remington fanboy, it's refreshing to reach the lands and feed from the magazine.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    There have been lots of reports of poor quality control at Hornady recently. I wouldn't be quick to throw Remington under the bus for this one. Those are classic over-pressure signs. Remington wants to CYA. Remington reputation is typically generous chambers.

Had my gun smith inspect the rifle. He said he has never seen a chamber so scarred. He polished it and now the rifle works as it was designed to. Can only be attributed to poor quality control at Remington.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast