Page 38 of 41 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 ... LastLast

Thread: HUGE layoffs at Daniel Defense

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    I still just do not understand who is buying DDs at $1700+ a pop - and why?
    Maybe they think they'll have collector value in years to come, considering these were purchased during the actual lifetime of firearms innovator, Marty Daniel? These are legacy rifles.

I bet people would buy these at $1800 + if Daniel Defense introduced the Marty Daniel Signature Series, each one with a special serial number, with a Certificate of Authenticity sporting Marty's actual signature in ink.

Never underestimate the gun buying public.
    Last edited by OH58D; 10-18-17 at 23:22.
    Maj. USAR (Ret) 160th SOAR, 2/17 CAV
    NRA Life Member
    Black Mesa Ranch. Raising Fine Cattle and Horses in San Miguel County since 1879

Feedback Score
    51 (100%)
    Just look at the other threads here about Brownells clearancing DD uppers and now colt lowers. I think this is insight into why DD has the layoffs. Stale sells due to overspending of the market after the last few years events and overproduction for expected election results.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    If LMT could advertise on DD's level, they'd have to hire 1000 guys instead of daniel firing 100.

Superior marketing>Superior product (in this case)

Feedback Score
    I'm admittedly a big fan of DD rifles. Back several years ago when I first got into ARs my brother-in-law did lots of research and found them to be among the "upper tier" ARs. Granted, this was back around 2012/2013. At the time, the DD rifles were around $1200. In my opinion, that's around where the DD rifles should have stayed. Like others, I was surprised when the DD rifles kept going up in price while there was clearly a glut of ARs in the market and the market was oversaturated.

A lot of you guys have made really good points. Daniel would do well to offer a sub-$1000 model to compete with the 6920. Offer it with the same CHF barrel and other quality components they're known for, but fit it with basic A2 furniture and plastic handguard. Start selling your lowers separately. Even a boutique maker like Noveske does this, and people happily pay a premium for a rollmark. Make the rails that people want as others have stated.

I think they have a pretty easy path for increasing sales but at lower margins. Maybe they shift into being more of a commodity like a Colt, and I think that's fine. I'm still a big fan and wish them the best.
    Last edited by albatros43; 10-19-17 at 06:37.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by albatros43 View Post
    I'm admittedly a big fan of DD rifles. Back several years ago when I first got into ARs my brother-in-law did lots of research and found them to be among the "upper tier" ARs. Granted, this was back around 2012/2013. At the time, the DD rifles were around $1200. In my opinion, that's around where the DD rifles should have stayed. Like others, I was surprised when the DD rifles kept going up in price while there was clearly a glut of ARs in the market and the market was oversaturated.

A lot of you guys have made really good points. Daniel would do well to offer a sub-$1000 model to compete with the 6920. Offer it with the same CHF barrel and other quality components they're known for, but fit it with basic A2 furniture and plastic handguard. Start selling your lowers separately. Even a boutique maker like Noveske does this, and people happily pay a premium for a rollmark. Make the rails that people want as others have stated.

I think they have a pretty easy path for increasing sales but at lower margins. Maybe they shift into being more of a commodity like a Colt, and I think that's fine. I'm still a big fan and wish them the best.
    Well said.

NYH1.

ROLLTIDE!
    NYSRPA Member.

Feedback Score
    2 (75%)
    Quote Originally Posted by OH58D View Post
    Maybe they think they'll have collector value in years to come, considering these were purchased during the actual lifetime of firearms innovator, Marty Daniel? These are legacy rifles.

I bet people would buy these at $1800 + if Daniel Defense introduced the Marty Daniel Signature Series, each one with a special serial number, with a Certificate of Authenticity sporting Marty's actual signature in ink.

Never underestimate the gun buying public.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaykayyy
    And to the guys whining about spending more on training, and relying less on the hardware, you just sound like your [sic] trying to make yourself feel superior.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    Same reason I bought a HD Street Glide instead of a Honda F6B @ 3,000.00 cheaper.
    Because it's slower, sounds better, runs slower and maintains its value better!!!
    "The peace we have within us is most often expressed in how we treat others"

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    You know, considering how stale the market is right now I’m kind of surprised I can’t find a BCM 16”, DD, KAC SR15, etc In stock to buy. G&R is essentially wiped clean of complete rifles.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    You know, considering how stale the market is right now I’m kind of surprised I can’t find a BCM 16”, DD, KAC SR15, etc In stock to buy. G&R is essentially wiped clean of complete rifles.
    Perhaps there’s been a spike in sales since the Vegas shooting.
    Quote Originally Posted by JSantoro View Post
    Stop dicking the dog, please. It's gross.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Negative. There's a BCM upper I've been waiting on for months. Still no "in stock" e-mail alert.

Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryno12 View Post
    Perhaps there’s been a spike in sales since the Vegas shooting.

Page 38 of 41 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 ... LastLast