Thread: Lightweight/low recoil AR-15 build for my daughter

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Lightweight/low recoil AR-15 build for my daughter

So my 8 year old daughter has been shooting .22's for a few years now and I introduced her to my AR late last year. She of course informed me she wanted one of her own. The biggest thing I had to overcome was the weight. My rifle is not not too heavy and is pretty bare bones medium contour midlenth barrel with only the only fluff being a Vortex red dot and a TLR1-HL, but obviously for a petite kiddo it isn't exactly light. I knew I needed to aim for a lightweight rifle that she could actually shoot without always having to have it supported on a bench or rest. I started out with Aero receivers with the lower being a standard receiver and the upper lacking the forward assist, a Midwest Industries G3 Lightweight ML rail, Faxon 16" midlength pencil barrel, H2 buffer, SLR Rifleworks Sentry gas block, Battle Arms Development stock, Vortex Venom 3moa red dot, a Dead Air muzzle brake (suppressor been in jail for almost a year...), and a spare 2 stage trigger I had sitting in the parts bin. Overall with a 10 round pmag it comes in at 5.6lbs. After getting the gas tuned and with the brake it is a very soft shooter and the kiddo loves it. It is def fun to see the looks on some peoples faces when my 8 year old is touching off a legit AR and grinning ear to ear. I could have shaved some more weight, but it became a matter of cost versus weight savings.

Last edited by Jeepman1320; 10-07-17 at 08:32.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Love it

Feedback Score
    76 (100%)

This was my son just before his 4th birthday. He too likes shooting 5.56 rifles.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Thats awesome. My boy turns 5 next year and he's getting a Ruger 10/22 for his birthday. This certainly has some wheels turning for future ideas. Well done good sir.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    In heavenly love abiding, no change my heart shall fear;
    and safe is such confiding, for nothing changes here:
    the storm may roar without me, my heart may low be laid;
    but God is round about me, and can I be dismayed?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leonidas24 View Post
    Thats awesome. My boy turns 5 next year and he's getting a Ruger 10/22 for his birthday. This certainly has some wheels turning for future ideas. Well done good sir.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    I'd recommend the Savage Rascal. Super lightweight, super accurate, nice adjustable trigger... I don't think you'll regret it. You can find them on sale at Dick's (or Field and Stream) with a $50 rebate from Savage... Plus they come in lots of colors. Best $99-120 you'll spend for him.

Feedback Score
    This is the coolest thing I have seen all day. Awesome stuff.
    I am just a regular guy, trying not to screw things up too much.

Feedback Score
    2 (75%)
    Good deal! Although I've found that with smaller statured shooters a slight rearward weight bias makes for a handier feeling rifle, and LOP matters. We run Magpul K grips and stocks to be a short as possible and keep the grip circumference down.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaykayyy
    And to the guys whining about spending more on training, and relying less on the hardware, you just sound like your [sic] trying to make yourself feel superior.