Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: If you haven’t shot a Gen5 G19, you should.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)

If you haven’t shot a Gen5 G19, you should.

Some of you may know I have a love affair with the G19. It is the perfect modern defensive firearm. It's ubiquitous, it's cheap, it's reliable, it's accurate, it doesn't fire when dropped and it works even if its full of mud. (I've tested the last two extensively) It's easily concealed and yet also perfectly suitable for OC on a duty belt.

Some of you may also know that I really like simplicity. Glock 19s and 5.56mm AR15s, and they don't need to be fancy. 6920 with iron sights, please. I shot all 19s pretty equally. Gen2s, 3s, 4s. It didn't really matter. They were all pretty similar so I would just get whatever Gen popped up at a good price.

Not anymore.

On Thursday I got a great deal on a NIB Gen4 for $400 OTD and by chance found another great deal on a NIB Gen5 on Friday.

Eurodriver's Life Rule #6: Never pass up a Glock 19 w/ 3 mags for $400 or less OTD.

I took the Gen4 to the range on Thursday and both to the range today. Both have medium backstraps, both used the same ammo, both have OEM sights.

The Gen5 obliterates the Gen4 in literally every measurable and subjective way. It's faster. It's more accurate. It looks better. It feels better. It has better sights. It's "smoother" in its operation. It's faster to reload. (FYI - I had no BTF with either gun)

I tried to record a video to explain what I was seeing in real life; the Gen4 despite "feeling" better in the hand (I actually like the finger grooves and found them "feel" better for drawing from the holster) it was ~0.2 seconds slower and had more misses than the Gen5. Shooting on paper the Gen5 was more accurate one handed (both strong and weak) which I attribute 100% to the trigger. I did not do any mechanical accuracy testing so I'm unsure if there is a higher inherent precision level in the Gen5.

But I failed at the video. I had the camera recording when I thought it was off, so when I went to shoot the Gen4, I actually turned it off Either way, I am very impressed with this gun. I want time to put this gun through its paces, but its been very impressive right out of the box.

Am I telling everyone to go sell all their guns and buy a bunch of Gen5 G19s? No, of course not. That would be ridiculous and the Previous Gens are still great.

...but I might.

NSFW Language. Target is a 4” circle acting as a “hostage taker” on a swivel next to the steel targets head.

Last edited by Eurodriver; 10-08-17 at 04:22. Reason: reworded title, brevity, was just too excited yesterday

Feedback Score
    No thanks.
    The Jeep is Family

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ritepath View Post
    No thanks.
    You’ll never get as good as me if you don’t.
    Last edited by Eurodriver; 10-08-17 at 04:22. Reason: I kid I kid...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Is it rust proof, or at least more so than the 2015 19 I have that ever other day I have been needing to wipe down and oil to stop it from rusting? If not then I will be looking at something other than Glock in short order. Possibly H&K, possibly something else entirely. But, surface rust on slide and in other places has annoyed the **** out of me. In the gun's defense it has not had any issues at the range even with rust on it, hell it has had fewer malfs rusty than brand new, but......
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm happy with my old gen 3 and my new P10C. If I see a gen 5 at the price you paid I'll grab it, otherwise I'll wait for a used one to come along

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I have a Gen 4 Glock 19. With new trigger and sights of my choice it's perfect. I've handled the Gen 5 (but haven't shot one) and didn't feel it was any better than the Gen 4. The lack of finger grooves was the only thing that piqued my interest but when I held one it didn't actually feel any better than the Gen 4.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    That new M&P though... the only shit thing about it is I don't remember what it's called.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    Nice write-up and video. I am further compelled to add to my Glock collection.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by El Pistolero View Post
    I have a Gen 4 Glock 19. With new trigger and sights of my choice it's perfect. I've handled the Gen 5 (but haven't shot one) and didn't feel it was any better than the Gen 4. The lack of finger grooves was the only thing that piqued my interest but when I held one it didn't actually feel any better than the Gen 4.
    The Gen4 does feel great. I said that in the OP.

But the Gen5 shoots better. It’s objectively faster and more accurate. Incredible 15% improvement in time just by switching to a different gun.
    Last edited by Eurodriver; 10-07-17 at 20:40.

Feedback Score

If you haven’t shot a Gen5 G19, you should.

Love the g5 19

Handled a 2.0c earlier, going back tomorrow for a g5 17

Never heard of rust issues on the g4 but certainly not on the 5, the finish seems literally bulletproof

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast