Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: If you haven’t shot a Gen5 G19, you should.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nightchief View Post
    The stock trigger on the G19 G5 "feels" smoother...not really sure if it actually is, but it feels better than both of the Gen 4's that inspired me to look for "better" triggers. ... I'm not a fan of the half moon at the bottom of the front strap, and after running a couple of hundred rounds thru it, I got a nice blister on my trigger handed middle finger...
    I just sent 300 rounds down range with my 19.4 a few days ago, along with 100 rounds on my work gun (22.3), and have a serious case of Glock Knuckle.

What I came away with was that the largest point of failure in any of my shooting drills (2-2, FAST, etc.) was the mag change... Meaning that 1) I need a larger magazine release, 2) baseplates of some kind to add a bit to grab onto / add a little weight to the bottom of any empty magazine, 3) a half-moon cut at the bottom of the grip (like on my work 22.3), and 4) invest in a magwell for easier insertion.

My 19.4 has a minus connector, an extra power trigger spring, and a considerable amount of dry fire, live fire, and two passes with a polish job. It has about the best stock trigger that I can imagine for the Glock because it: 1) shortens the pre-travel slightly, 2) retains a crisp break, 3) has a tangible reset.

From what I have heard regarding the Gen 5s, the trigger accomplishes all of those tasks STOCK. It has a scallop on the grip for easier magazine extraction, STOCK. The Gen 5 magazines have flared baseplates AND have a flared magwell, STOCK.

Basically, the Gen 5 does literally everything that I have done / want to do with my current handgun, AND it has ambidextrous slide stops (which is grrrrreat!)... all STOCK.

Gens 1-4 have appeared to be largely incremental in terms of features, and Gen 5 is still incremental in strict terms in that there is no serious change to the actual operating system, but the features added are what the whole of the after market has been doing for the weapon system in the past few years.

Like Euro, I have an unhealthy obsession with the Glock pistol.

The only enhancements that the Gen 5 needs that are not yet in place are: factory RTF2 texturing available on-order, and front slide serrations. Finally, their partnership with Ameriglo for the BOLD and FBI series of sights are producing some of the best pistol sights around.

Knocking. It. Out. Of. The. Park.

My next firearms purchase (after another case or two of ammo) will be a Gen 5 Glock 19.
    Last edited by noonesshowmonkey; 10-08-17 at 02:32.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Yes. /\ That.

It does everything a gun should, better, stock. That was always my only beef with the M&P. You had to dump money in it to get it working nicely.

I did a 10 dot torture test with both 19s yesterday shooting 1” dots at 7 yards. My buddy is an LEO instructor, has an M&P, and outshot me on every single drill. He is just a better pistol shooter than I am no doubt, but he’s got like $450 in that gun with sights, trigger, barrel, etc. That’s more than I paid for my entire gun.

Feedback Score
    I'm in complete agreement with the OP. The Gen 5 (I'm more of a 17 guy) fixes every complaint I had with the Gen 4....which I liked better then the Gen 3. Turns out the FBI knows what it's doing when it comes to making changes to guns it wants to use. What has cracked me up is the reaction to the Gen 5 not being a revolutionary change. First off it's just an M series gun, but like the Springfield Pro, the FBI won't let Glock call it the M so Glock had to find a different name so Gen 5 was the easiest name. Essentially it's a Gen 4 with the FBI saying, make these improvements........and they are improvements. No way I'd buy a Gen 3 or 4 with this available and my first few hundred rounds have verified that opinion.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    Incredible 15% improvement in time just by switching to a different gun.
    Happens to me every time I switch to a new gun.

Sadly, the honeymoon lasts about three sessions.

I think I would try to confirm the differences in more extensive testing than a single shot draw drills or dot stuff and, if truly present, would try to explain that somehow in objective ways. I do think it is distinctly possible that 5 is a better gun than 4 out of box. With the standard massage that my Gen4 get, I don't see much difference.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I haven't worn out my Gen 2 yet, and Glock is on Gen 5? I need to shoot more.

Andy

Feedback Score
    I think that's kind of the point this way at least for me you don't have to do anything out of the box. Plus the lack of finger grooves and the increased mechanical accuracy even if not seen is always going to be a bonus.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Yes, although the plastic sights would need to be replaced. If anything else needs to be replaced, I am going to wait and see. I think that while out of box Gen5 is likely a better gun, in the world of tuned Glocks the Gen4 will be holding its own. Last time we had about 180 replies poll on pistol-forum, half people kept their Glocks stock and half had some kind of mods done. Some of the top technical Glock shooters are actually sticking with their Gen3s. Soon enough the market will be awash in Gen5 aftermarket parts, we'll see how it shakes up.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    I think I would try to confirm the differences in more extensive testing than a single shot draw drills or dot stuff
    I didn't think folks wanted to see an hour of raw Gopro footage, and I certainly didn't want to spend the overnight hours uploading it. Why would you think I'd make such a bold claim having only done a little bit of shooting with it?

How often do you switch to a new gun?

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Serious question...brass goes where it's supposed to, no btf? My Gen 3s and 4s have been mostly good in regard to this issue. My Gen 4 is now tuned and btf is rare.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I didn't think folks wanted to see an hour of raw Gopro footage, and I certainly didn't want to spend the overnight hours uploading it. Why would you think I'd make such a bold claim having only done a little bit of shooting with it?
    Well, you showed the video of single shot draws, reported 0.2 sec /15% diff, and then mentioned 7 yard dots. I can't deduce from this that you also ran Defoor tests or USPSA classifiers. I don't necessarily need a feature film. In fact, I don't need a video at all although I do appreciate it, but it takes one paragraph to convey a full scope of testing. Something like "Bill Drills -x time, FAST -y time, USPSA match no difference" etc. The wider the scope of testing, the more impressive the differences appear.

How often do you switch to a new gun?
    As infrequently as I can. I switched to a different carry gun earlier this year, having carried the previous gun for 6.5 years. I've been shooting the same gun in competition for 2 years.

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast