Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What are good upper and lower receiver's for a 7.62 build?

Feedback Score

What are good upper and lower receiver's for a 7.62 build?

Thinking about doing a AR10ish 7.62 build. I have no experience with 7.62 AR's. It'll end up being a flattop 20" medium barrel shooter, not a tactical QCB ninja super slayer. So a quality lower that'll take fairly common magazines is important.

Thanks, NYH1.

ROLLTIDE!
    NYSRPA Member.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)

I’ve had really good success with Aero Precision M5 upper and lower receiver and a Ballistic Advantage Premium Series barrel.
    Mine is an 18”, I opted for a little more maneuverability over the additional velocity that you’ll get with the 20”. From day one it’s been sub-MOA out to just shy of 300m which is the limitation of where I shoot. This isn’t the only BA barrel I own. I have several. All are accurate and have an excellent fit and finish. Check out the AR-10 and precision rifle (semi-auto) threads. Good intel.

Link for barrel: http://ballisticadvantage.com/20-inc...um-barrel.html

For upper and lower
    Upper:
    http://www.primaryarms.com/aero-prec...ver-apar308503

Lower:
    http://www.primaryarms.com/aero-prec...cut-apar308003

Granite Ridge Outfitters has the upper cheaper, but when I can buy from one place maybe save in shipping, I will. Plus I don’t think anyone ships as fast as PA. They are a very solid supplier.

Have you got the rest of your parts worked out?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by RobertTheTexan; 10-09-17 at 12:22. Reason: Corrected: lower should have said upper
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    I just got an email from Aero on their upper/lower receiver sets. This is a good freaking buy....

$249.00
    https://aeroprecisionusa.com/m5-receiver-set.html
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    Robert, I haven't gotten any parts at all yet. Gonna start with the upper and lowers and go from there. Thanks for the links. I just texted my FFL to see if he deals with Aero Precision.

Thanks, NYH1.

ROLLTIDE!
    NYSRPA Member.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)

Ok cool. If you go that route I will tell you he specifically parts you should get. The rest of the parts will be mil
    Spec AR-15 parts.

Quick question- are you prior service or LEO/prior LEO? If you are be sure to get your discounts from the sites I’ve linked to. They all honor those who served or are serving with discounts.

1. Aero Precision take down and pivot pins. Aero’s 308 receiver is wider so you need/must use their pivot and take down

2. Forward Controls EMR-C. ($8.50). With the wider receiver a mil spec mag catch latch and mg button do not position the mag catch button out far enough. You end up with a mag catch that’s barely sticking out. The EMR-C was designed for 3 gunners t extends out past the mag catch fence but on the wider .308 it’s PERFECT.

3. (Not required) die to the size of the receiver you way want to run an enhance bolt catch. Forward Controls has a ABC/R. Made for the .308 I have one in the package at home. It’s definitely more convenience than requirement like 1 and 2 above. And after I install it I am going to do some testing. I strongly believe it will add to the functionality. That’s why I bought it in the first place. I have large hands but some malfunction drills that tiny mil spec bolt catch is just too dang small and a pain in the buttocks.

4. Buffer system: once you decide on that we can talk more. You have some options, even AR-15 mil spec options.

That’s it man. Aside from 1 and 2 everything else is mil spec… And by mil spec I mean the same mil spec parts that would work in your AR15 will work on your 308
    -trigger
    - selector switch, spring and detent
    - buffer detent and spring
    - pistol grip screw is the same
    - bolt catch, detent and spring

The bolt catch PIN comes installed. It’s not a roll pin, but a screw. Great idea really. You loosen it via a 3/32 hex head Allen wrench. (Off the top of my head, but pretty sure that’s right)
    also the rear take down detent pin and spring install slightly different. They actually install adjacent to the selector switch spring and detent.. this is another nice improvement over the spring behind the end plate like on AR-15’s.

That’s about it off the top of my head. The BLUF (Bottom Line Up Front) is that there are 3 LPK parts which cannot be from a mil spec AR-15 LPK. Take down and pivot pins and the mag catch BUTTON. the lever is fine.

. So that’s not really so bad is it?

I’m a Texan so I really couldn’t just say that last sentence. Lol sorry. But hopefully this helps. Unless you already knew all that in which case and I apologize.
    Last edited by RobertTheTexan; 10-09-17 at 16:43.
    ~ Sam Houston

~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The receiver set to which RobertTheTexan linked is a very good deal and worthy of serious consideration.

I've not used their large frame receivers, but Mega is another solid option, for roughly twice the price.
    Last edited by grizzman; 10-12-17 at 22:11.

Feedback Score
    No prior service or LEO.

NYH1.

ROLLTIDE!
    NYSRPA Member.

Feedback Score
    One more vote for the Aero upper. I'd get the enhanced upper because timing is super easy. Timing the barrel nut on the normal upper is a bit of a pill. It took me a while to get my 308 dialed in, but that was a fun project and the thing runs like a dream now. I had to play around with buffers and springs to get it so it was super reliable, but it's been nearly 1000 rounds since I've had any problems (was having occasional failures to eject).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    Both of my 308s were built using Mega Arms MKM, and MML receivers. The barrel nuts simply torque down, there is no need to time them to the gas tube. They also come with a handguard that simply bolts in place. They are probably the most expensive option on the market, but IMO they are worth it when you consider you're getting both the upper and a handguard together. If you buy the complete set with the lower, the lower comes with pre installed takedown pins and bolt catch.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Another vote for the Aero set from me. Assembled 2 sets and both have run fine with no issues to date.

Nothing wrong with the Mega but that exceeded my price goal.

Lots of good info here:
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...owledge-thread
    Last edited by hotrodder636; 10-10-17 at 09:25.
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast