Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What are good upper and lower receiver's for a 7.62 build?

Feedback Score
    72 (100%)
    Red Barn is currently throwing in a free Battle Arms ambi safety with purchase of a set. That includes some brands mentioned here:

https://www.redbarnarmory.com/Search...h=FREE+BAD-ASS

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    The issues with timing the barrel nut for gas tube alignment can be eliminated by using a hand guard that has a barrel nut that doesn’t need timing. I already like SLR products, so using their rail was a no-brainer for me. Their system is designed so there is zero timing required. The Hand guard kicked downs tight.
    Ballistic Advantage drilled the hole for pinning my gas block so that was easy to align and install. I’ve mounted a few SLR hand guards and on my .308, from spreading a little aeroshell on my threads to torquing the bolts on my hand guard (35ft lb) took maybe 10 minutes. That’s being generous. That was my second time installing a hand guard on my 308. So part of my due diligence was taking into consideration - “does the barrel nut that comes with this hand guard require timing for the gas tube.” If that answer was yes, it did not make my short list.

On the gassing/cycling, I chose a path that was as “normalized” as I could make it. I wanted to take advantage of reduced dwell time and the reduction in recoil so I went Rifle gas length. I think mid gas is great within its “space” I just don’t think that space is on an 18” barrel. Plus in my research there were more “cases” of rifle gas, functioning without issue, so with more data, more testing/usage, and what made sense to me, I went rifle gas. The KAK Heavy buffer ($50) and Sprinco Red Extra Power spring ($19.95) were the configuration that also seemed to have really good success. It proved itself to me. I do have an adjustable GB, but I will run a suppressor, but all my testing was done with the GB wide open. I dialed it back 1/2 turn just to see if it did anything, but after that I locked it down. (Set screw type)

To date I have not experienced a single FTE once I opened my gas block full open. It has been rockinrolla granola since.

That was my “method”:
    - I tried to use what should help me have the greatest success for accurate follow-up shots by reducing recoil

- I tried to duplicate what was the most normal type (common) setup that had the greatest success.

I believe it paid off. I’m about to validate all of this because a friend handed me his CMMG MK3 and said “Use your imagination, upgrade it for me, but in the end. I want it to shoot as good as yours.” Which was a pretty nice compliment. .

I do agree with the Christopher - I had a great time with this build. I do believe however, that within a known configuration, that there are a set of parts that just “work”. I also think that can eliminate a lot of the guess work that can be intimidating. I’m probably supposed to say YMMV now, but I do believe my setup is fully repeatable, so I’m not gonna say your mileage may vary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    Thanks guys.

NYH1.

ROLLTIDE!
    NYSRPA Member.

Feedback Score
    I'll add a vote for the Aero lower and upper. That's what I used and have been very satisfied.
    ~Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.
    Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    AERO!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    84 (100%)
    I would recommend an upper/lower set which is built on the Armalite/KAC pattern. It will give you the option to swap out uppers from KAC, LMT, Larue, Noveske, Armalite, JP... more options is often a good choice.

Noveske has a nice set on their site at the moment https://www.noveske.com/collections/...pper-lower-set
    That would be my choice if building.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    DSG Arms has a decent deal on MEGA maten 308 receivers that are on clearance. The only thing is that they are cerakoted either OD or FDE.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Aero Precision M5 Builder Set w/ 15" M-lok Handguard - Anodized Black - $300.00

http://www.schuylerarmsco.com/produc...d-black-16-993

I used this set for a 16" .308. Great fit/finish.
    This kit comes with a 15" handguard. A 12" for my project would have been ideal. AP handguards are generous (read large) in their interior dimension. No issues with clearances.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ROK View Post
    Aero Precision M5 Builder Set w/ 15" M-lok Handguard - Anodized Black - $300.00

http://www.schuylerarmsco.com/produc...d-black-16-993

I used this set for a 16" .308. Great fit/finish.
    This kit comes with a 15" handguard. A 12" for my project would have been ideal. AP handguards are generous (read large) in their interior dimension. No issues with clearances.
    That's a good deal!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    As I already bought a gibbz lower, how are the Aero barrels as far as accuracy? The lowers and uppers look to be decent quality.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast