Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What are good upper and lower receiver's for a 7.62 build?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Aero Precision has my vote. When I first started in the AR 308 game they made it easy. Great fitment and finish.

Feedback Score
    I never ended up building a AR10. Had and still have a lot of other things going on. However, with today's political climate, I at least wanted to get a lower. Bought a Stag AR10 stripped lower in FDE.

Gonna start slowly but surely buying the rest of the parts needed for the build. Starting with a matching Stag upper in FDE. I want to build a MK11/M110ish clone, hence the FDE parts.

Will the parts and components mentioned above work with the Stag parts? I believe the Stag parts are based off the DPMS variant, not sure though.

NYH1.

ROLLTIDE!
    NYSRPA Member.

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    They have 1 7/16"-16 TPI barrel nut threads, and .210” tang height. I’m pretty sure that makes them DPMS high pattern receivers. They should be compatible with most of the AR-10 parts on the market. Just make sure you use an Armalite bcg with an Armalite barrel, or DPMS pattern bcg with a DPMS pattern barrel. The Armalite barrel extension is not compatible with DPMS pattern bcgs, and vice versa. Also, if you plan on an adjustable stock, I recommend using a A5 length buffer tube such as: LMT 308, Vltor RE-10, KAC SR25; and running a Armalite 308 buffer spring with an H3 buffer.
    Last edited by Hammer_Man; 07-01-22 at 19:32.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer_Man View Post
    They have 1 7/16"-16 TPI barrel nut threads, and .210” tang height. I’m pretty sure that makes them DPMS high pattern receivers. They should be compatible with most of the AR-10 parts on the market. Just make sure you use an Armalite bcg with an Armalite barrel, or DPMS pattern bcg with a DPMS pattern barrel. The Armalite barrel extension is not compatible with DPMS pattern bcgs, and vice versa. Also, if you plan on an adjustable stock, I recommend using a A5 length buffer tube such as: LMT 308, Vltor RE-10, KAC SR25; and running a Armalite 308 buffer spring with an H3 buffer.
    Thanks for replying Hammer, appreciate it!

Got this from Stag's website, not completely sure what it means;
    The Stag .308 line features a Stag Slant Cut design and includes uniquely designed parts for the lower to guarantee the best fit between the upper and lower. The remainder of the rifle utilizes the DPMS .308 platform for parts compatibility.

I'm going to use a A2 rifle stock system.

NYH1.

ROLLTIDE!
    NYSRPA Member.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NYH1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer_Man View Post
    Thanks for replying Hammer, appreciate it!

Got this from Stag's website, not completely sure what it means;
    The Stag .308 line features a Stag Slant Cut design and includes uniquely designed parts for the lower to guarantee the best fit between the upper and lower. The remainder of the rifle utilizes the DPMS .308 platform for parts compatibility.

NYH1.
    You are correct. Just saw this on Stag's website.
    This handguard has a DPMS High Profile, which has a Tang Height of .210. Includes Barrel Nut, Shims and Screws.

NYH1.

ROLLTIDE!
    NYSRPA Member.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Just a note -- how tall are you / what is your length-of-pull?

An A2 stock is long for many people on a standard 5.56mm frame. A 308-length large-frame receiver is longer, which means with an A2 stock your head will be back even further.

I am shorter and prefer an A1 stock, or better yet a carbine stock on an A5/Armalite AR-10 tube to use a standard carbine-length XH buffer.

Feedback Score
    I'm 6'. My son's friend bought a Stag AR10 a while back with the A2 stock. I didn't shoot it, but I held it and didn't notice it being awkward or anything. Thanks for mentioning it though, have to keep that in mind going forward.

NYH1.

ROLLTIDE!
    NYSRPA Member.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I'm 6'. My son's friend bought a Stag AR10 a while back with the A2 stock. I didn't shoot it, but I held it and didn't notice it being awkward or anything. Thanks for mentioning it though, have to keep that in mind going forward.
    NYH1.
    Should fit like a glove, then.

The Stags are very nice, as are Matrix and Diamondback as well. A matched upper-lower set doesn't have to break the bank.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I just finished a lefty Stag .308 build. I like it so far.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sinister View Post
    Should fit like a glove, then.

The Stags are very nice, as are Matrix and Diamondback as well. A matched upper-lower set doesn't have to break the bank.
    Quote Originally Posted by czgunner View Post
    I just finished a lefty Stag .308 build. I like it so far.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    Thanks guys!

I've built a bunch of AR/M4 rifles/carbines. However, this is my first AR10 build. Got a few other gun things I'm gonna finish before I get ready to finish this one. Just kind of rounding up the parts slowly but surely. I'll take all the AR10 info I can get.

Thanks again, NYH1.

ROLLTIDE!
    NYSRPA Member.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123