Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Info on Colt for a guy who’s never owned one

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzman View Post
    Dude, if you thought I was being elitist, you seriously mis-read my post. It was not meant as a poke at you or Spikes Tactical....just seemed a bit odd for them to be included with BCM and DD. I guess I should have added a emoticon thingy that the younsters use these days to show that they're not being serious.

I am a fan of FN's CHF barrels, and have been running one for a few years now. I ordered another one last night.
    Glad we are in agreement. I have three FN produced chf barrels as we speak. The FN lightweight mid and spikes "optimum" profile are the same damn as I could tell and both shoot lights out for me.

Also I did recommend he just got a standard chrome lined barrel as none of us can afford to shoot out a regular barrel in our lifetime and if you can afford that you can afford a new barrel.

Also yes I have a Noveske Infidel upper and it's damn accurate but my Colt socom upper is just as accurate and half the price.

Another great option would be to buy the upper half of a CCU off GB. I love my CCU rifle my only complaint it is very distinct step down along the rail on the top where the centurion arms handguard is compared to the flat top upper.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I’m just a dude who wants the best I can get for my dollah. I AM currently in the process of (hopefully) becoming a LEO, but I don’t think that really has any bearing on my rifle at the moment. This will primarily be my main shooter, and will attend some classes. I’m not big on keymod or m-lok (gasp! The horror and shame of me not liking it!) so I was looking at adding a quad (as long as the picture was accurate and has a standard barrel nut). I know I won’t ever see a difference, probably, but when getting the best is so easily attainable why would a person not want the best barrel they can get. That being said, I’ve not studied up enough chf vs button broached.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    UCLAfanBrian- You have a PM to handle before any other posting activity.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I'll add that if you want to choose BCM, then you're making a great decision. I have three of their uppers, with one of them being a BFH government profile 16" with KMR-A. This has been my primary 5.56 rifle for a few years now, and it's been outstanding so far.

They're not widely available yet, but BCM's new picatinny rail should be a solid option. I don't blame you for choosing picatinny. I'm still running two of them, and have no plans to swap them out.

Feedback Score
    OP, BCM, FN and DD have good hammer forged barrels. I have a DD S2W 18" barrel that's a real shooter, it's on SPR (MK12ish type setup). I don't beat on it so it'll probably last a few lifetimes. As mentioned Colt barrels are good to go too. I'm a lot harder on my Colt barrel. So far so good.

Wasn't Spikes Tactical one of the extreme elitism price gougers during the last few scares? That alone should render them unmentionable here IMHO.

Respectfully, NYH1.

ROLLTIDE!
    NYSRPA Member.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swobe1 View Post
    I’m just a dude who wants the best I can get for my dollah. I AM currently in the process of (hopefully) becoming a LEO, but I don’t think that really has any bearing on my rifle at the moment. This will primarily be my main shooter, and will attend some classes. I’m not big on keymod or m-lok (gasp! The horror and shame of me not liking it!) so I was looking at adding a quad (as long as the picture was accurate and has a standard barrel nut). I know I won’t ever see a difference, probably, but when getting the best is so easily attainable why would a person not want the best barrel they can get. That being said, I’ve not studied up enough chf vs button broached.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    A BCM upper with their QRF may be a solid investment then, because if you ever change your mind on the quad rail you can switch to a keymod or MLOK without changing the barrel nut.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swobe1 View Post
    Looking to get a new upper and I’ve always been a BCM guy. Upon perusing Brownells I found these:

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...prod69545.aspx
    Colt uppers are a good choice. If you want one, they are much less on Gunbroker, around $475 with BCG and charging handle, no furniture. Although Colt barrels are not CHF, they are giving good service in M4s used by the military
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    CHF barrels do have the potential to be more durable. Whether they ARE and whether they are any more or less ACCURATE is dependent on how well they're made. Colt has been making barrels for a LONG time and they know how to make one. I'll take a Colt barrel over a CHF barrel any day of the week, unless it's a Diemaco barrel, which is both Colt and CHF.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    As suggested, either the Colt or the BCM would be solid options. A member here had made some posts showing the accuracy of a factory Colt barrel. I think some were surprised that the Colt OEM barrel is plenty accurate and are know to have a good lifespan.

Wake27 mentioned the ability to swap rails without swapping the barrel but in the BCM...that could be a plus if you do ever decide to change over to an MLOK or KM.
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Did you really just recommend spikes tactical over a Colt OEM upper?
    In no way should the company turning out these turds:

be recommended in the same breath as BCM/DD/Colt, CHF or not.
    There are plenty of companies turning out CHF barrels (if thats a requirement for the OP) that don't propagate the fudd-culture. It's like a "don't feed the bears" policy.
    "SEND IT" happens to be my trigger words...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast