Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Barrel nut torque...do you inline with the wrench or 90 degrees?

Feedback Score

Barrel nut torque...do you inline with the wrench or 90 degrees?

TDP says to inline with the wrench...but seen places and recommend to do it 90 degrees.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The torque wrench and barrel nut tool should be perpendicular to each other. Torque works on force and distance, lengthening the moment arm by having the torque wrench and barrel nut tool parallel to each other will give you a higher torque than the wrench was calibrated for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gregshin View Post
    TDP says to inline with the wrench...but seen places and recommend to do it 90 degrees.
    In line. One shouldn't be going much above 40 lb feet anyway.
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Feedback Score
    29 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lahunter57 View Post
    The torque wrench and barrel nut tool should be perpendicular to each other. Torque works on force and distance, lengthening the moment arm by having the torque wrench and barrel nut tool parallel to each other will give you a higher torque than the wrench was calibrated for.

It won't give a higher torque than it was rated for, but will measure lower than actual torque on the nut itself. If you want to get actual nut torque value, you need to add the distance from the nut to the attachment point on the wrench and then calculate the torque value read on your wrench which should be expected. I would assume that if using an armorers wrench, and using gorilla math, that torquing to about 36-38 foot pounds would be about 40-50 foot pounds at the nut.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    Marines love CLP. Chow, libo, pussy.

Beyond that everything else is a crap shoot.

Feedback Score
    90 degrees gives a "true" torque reading because it factors out the additional torque added by the mechanical advantage of the 1/2" square drive hole being a certain distance from the center line of the barrel nut in this case.

That sounds great except for the fact that the torque specs everyone uses have already factored in the added distance of the military barrel wrench when it is used inline as the manual states should be done. (please consult the latest manuals).

That being said the range of the acceptable torque is so large the difference is of no concern unless perhaps you are using 90 degrees at the max value.

I have had enough experience that I rarely need to use a torque wrench these days but a beginner should until they have a few builds under their belt.
    Last edited by BillyJack556; 07-13-15 at 10:26.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by nimdabew View Post
    It won't give a higher torque than it was rated for, but will measure lower than actual torque on the nut itself. If you want to get actual nut torque value, you need to add the distance from the nut to the attachment point on the wrench and then calculate the torque value read on your wrench which should be expected. I would assume that if using an armorers wrench, and using gorilla math, that torquing to about 36-38 foot pounds would be about 40-50 foot pounds at the nut.
    I should have been more clear, but this is what I was trying to say. The actual torque will be higher than what the wrench is indicating. Thanks for cleaning up my response!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nimdabew View Post
    It won't give a higher torque than it was rated for, but will measure lower than actual torque on the nut itself. If you want to get actual nut torque value, you need to add the distance from the nut to the attachment point on the wrench and then calculate the torque value read on your wrench which should be expected.
    If the OP or anyone else is interested in doing the math, the proper barrel extension tool (when used properly in the extended "in-line" position) will give you 2.0" of extension (measured from the center of the barrel nut to the center of the attachment point for the torque wrench.

Joe Mamma
    "Reliability above all else"
    NRA Certified Pistol and Rifle Instructor, Life Member
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Beretta & Sig Sauer Certified Pistol Armorer
    Colt Certified 1911 & AR-15/M16/M4 Law Enforcement Armorer

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    It doesn't really matter... as far as GI nuts go. There's really only one correct position for any given GI nut. You don't even really need a torque wrench if you're even slightly mechanically inclined.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Agreed. Once you master those damn things, almost every other barrel nut will seem like childs play.

Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    It doesn't really matter... as far as GI nuts go. There's really only one correct position for any given GI nut. You don't even really need a torque wrench if you're even slightly mechanically inclined.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I agree with Mark & IG. Once you understand the principle behind tightening the barrel nut, a torque wrench isn't needed.

As far as the correct procedure is concerned, follow the manual. It specifies which wrench is to be used with which wrench and what method is used. If the manual states 40 ft/lbs with the tool inline with the wrench, that's what you must do. Turning the tool 90 degrees or calculating the arm to compensate for the added length is simply wrong
    Last edited by MistWolf; 07-14-15 at 00:40.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast