Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Info on Colt for a guy who’s never owned one

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by scottryan View Post
    OP,

You do not need a CHF barrel.

The rail, gas block selection, gas port size, and barrel brand are more important than CHF.
    This is what I want to know. I’m not new to AR’s by any means. I understand them well, but I’m just not familiar with Colt. So does Colt have all those things and I shouldn’t be too concerned about it. If I can throw a good rail on it, I’m strongly considering it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Swobe1 View Post
    This is what I want to know. I’m not new to AR’s by any means. I understand them well, but I’m just not familiar with Colt. So does Colt have all those things and I shouldn’t be too concerned about it. If I can throw a good rail on it, I’m strongly considering it.

The Colt would be great I have both and both are more accurate than me. If you really want the 14.5” (which I love mine) the BCM you can get already set up and pinned and welded. I don’t see that as an option on those Colts? You would apparently have to buy the extended FH and have it done?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    OP,

The rail, gas block selection, gas port size, and barrel brand are more important than CHF.
    This is worth repeating, and I wish more people understood this. The specs the weapon is held to is what counts.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Animalhd1 View Post
    The Colt would be great I have both and both are more accurate than me. If you really want the 14.5” (which I love mine) the BCM you can get already set up and pinned and welded. I don’t see that as an option on those Colts? You would apparently have to buy the extended FH and have it done?
    I want the 14.5”, but until my lower is stamped, it will have to be pinned. I can get that done easy, but flash hider will have to be changed. Also, looking at it and a little more research is showing a delta ring instead of a barrel nut. I’ll do more looking down there. I might do the 16” and then build a 12.5” when my lower is stamped. Will update more tomorrow afternoon!

Feedback Score
    OP,

This is true for 99% of shooters.
    Colt > BCM

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I want the 14.5”, but until my lower is stamped, it will have to be pinned. I can get that done easy, but flash hider will have to be changed. Also, looking at it and a little more research is showing a delta ring instead of a barrel nut. I’ll do more looking down there. I might do the 16” and then build a 12.5” when my lower is stamped. Will update more tomorrow afternoon!

How about let's not pin the flash hider.

They are a waste of time and money. They are too hard to service.

Spend the time getting the lower registered as an SBR.
    "Not every thing on Earth requires an aftermarket upgrade." demigod/markm

Feedback Score
    I am a very big fan of both Colt and BCM and own numerous offerings from both. That being said, my BCM BFH 14.5" shot a 5/8" 5 round 100 yard group with match ammo. More then once. It shoots better then my BCM 16" 410 stainless. It's free floated and had a pretty good Nightforce scope on it when I tested accuracy. I do not yet have a thousand rounds on the barrel, so I cannot attest to durability, but if its anything like a 14.5" BCM pencil barrel I have (over 8,000 rounds and still 3 1/2 MOA) I would bet it will be good. One of my Colt 6920's with an ACOG shot just under 1 MOA with match ammo. This AR has almost 11,000 rounds on it, has the large trigger pin lower receiver, and a bunch of them 11,000 rounds were steel cased Wolf. It's factory, including trigger, except for Duracoat.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    How about let's not pin the flash hider.

They are a waste of time and money. They are too hard to service.

Spend the time getting the lower registered as an SBR.
    For a guy like me, pinning and unpinning the muzzle device ain't no thing. Even so, I've come to a place where I'd rather have a pinned 14.5" barrel than an unpinned 16". There are advantages to having a pinned 14.5 over an SBR, such as not needing a passport for each state, or for those caught behind enemy lines. Not that I'm against going SBR.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Well, once there and I could look at the two, I decided on the 14.5 colt and got a Centurian rail. Once together will post a pic.

Feedback Score
    Well, once there and I could look at the two, I decided on the 14.5 colt and got a Centurian rail. Once together will post a pic.

Congratulations, great decision!
    "A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
    - George Washington

"Some of you would bitch if a hot blonde served you a perfect steak and beer of choice while naked and performed acts not described." Mark5pt56

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast