G&R Tactical
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: .32 vs .380 FMJ Is there much of a difference?

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    The .380 XTP load seems to do okay as far as penetration. Given that, I'd probably carry a .380 over .32, if those were the only choices. If it's down to FMJ between the two of them, then .380 has a bigger circumference than .32, which should answer that easily enough. I would think a "tumbling" .32 would be worse if it doesn't penetrate very deeply.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sundance435 View Post
    The .380 XTP load seems to do okay as far as penetration. Given that, I'd probably carry a .380 over .32, if those were the only choices. If it's down to FMJ between the two of them, then .380 has a bigger circumference than .32, which should answer that easily enough. I would think a "tumbling" .32 would be worse if it doesn't penetrate very deeply.
    Yea. I guess it comes down to .32 is more fun to shoot, .380 minimally more effective. I went with .32 because I had cases of it and no .380 stocked.

My new full size px4 9mm has been reliable after a couple hundred ball and generic jhp rounds as well as 150 124 gr +p golden sabers so it's ready to carry. I'll carry it as much as I can. (well see what happens when summer comes)

Thanks for the disscussion.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    And reliable expansion? I'd expect most recent .380 has improved, but I recall the batch modern testing found all .380 JHPs did not show reliable penetration and expansion and for that reason, FMJ recommended. Friends don't let friends CCW .380
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

Performance/Fitness Advice For the Tactical Community

www.OptimalSWAT.com

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    And reliable expansion? I'd expect most recent .380 has improved, but I recall the batch modern testing found all .380 JHPs did not show reliable penetration and expansion and for that reason, FMJ recommended. Friends don't let friends CCW .380
    The XTP does expand fairly reliably, though not to the point that it's even a middle-of-the-pack 9mm JHP. Still, not a bad round for .380, if you have to carry it for some reason.

Ron3 - I agree that .32 is fun to shoot - I had a Tomcat that I wish I hadn't sold - practical for nothing, but fun to shoot.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    The XTP does expand fairly reliably, though not to the point that it's even a middle-of-the-pack 9mm JHP. Still, not a bad round for .380, if you have to carry it for some reason.

Ron3 - I agree that .32 is fun to shoot - I had a Tomcat that I wish I hadn't sold - practical for nothing, but fun to shoot.
    With the large selection of quality sub compact 9mm handguns that are at worst, just slightly larger than .380 offerings, no reason I can think of why anyone has to carry a the .380. 32 for plinker fun, sure. SD/CCW? Nope.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

Performance/Fitness Advice For the Tactical Community

www.OptimalSWAT.com

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    With the large selection of quality sub compact 9mm handguns that are at worst, just slightly larger than .380 offerings, no reason I can think of why anyone has to carry a the .380. 32 for plinker fun, sure. SD/CCW? Nope.
    In most instances, I agree, but it's hard to beat an LCP for concealability in the summer when running quick errands (especially in gym shorts). I'll carry an LCP in very limited circumstances, otherwise it's a 9 - one mag of XTPs and one with flat-nose FMJ.

Feedback Score
    I couldn't find comparable gun in 9mm. The Cheetah is my compact carry gun. My full size is now a px4. (Full size).

Even the Cheetah is a little heavier than I'd like for a compact. But it checks a lot of boxes for me.

My subcompact is a Ruger LCR .357.

For backups I use the LCR or Beretta Jetfire .25.
    Last edited by Ron3; 11-18-17 at 09:48.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123