Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rotating-barrel handguns

Feedback Score

Rotating-barrel handguns

Regarding rotary-barrel pistols, the only ones that come to mind are the Beretta PX4, Grand Power's K100/Q100 series, and the new Glock 46. Obviously not a widely used design. What are the positives and negatives of this type barrel?

Feedback Score

Rotating-barrel handguns

I would say the biggest advantage is that it allows for a lower bore axis which makes for a softer shooting gun that stays flatter under recoil. The biggest Disadvantage would have to be that because of the rotating barrel it might be more prone to getting gummed up with debris. However rotating bolts in long guns have a proven track record or reliability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by matthewpittinger; 10-01-17 at 18:29.

Feedback Score
    Stoeger Cougar as well.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    As a former owner of a rotary action gun, I can say they definitely shoot softly.

My perception is that it seems like the rotating action seems to consume some energy from the system.

You can sort of think of the explosion as generating a finite amount of energy, and driving the rotating action seems to bleed off more than say a Browning action would.

That's my take on it anyway.

I could be completely incorrect.

There have been others, but in modern times the Beretta/Stoeger and Grand Power designs have thus far been the only successful ones.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    My understanding is greater mechanical accuracy and lower recoil are the main benefits. I was underwhelmed by the Gen 5 Glocks but the Glock 46 is much more interesting and I'd love to get one if it ever comes to the USA.
    Last edited by El Pistolero; 10-05-17 at 20:43.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Steyr - Hahn M1912 - Nothing new under the sun.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I measured the barrel's length of travel rearward on three pistols. These are crude-ish measurements taken at the muzzle with the slide in battery and again at the muzzle with the slide locked to the rear.

1911full size 5.5mm barrel travel
    Kahr CW9 5.5mm barrel travel
    PX4 full size 11mm barrel travel

I bet this contributes to the way the recoil feels during firing.

Feedback Score
    I think the PX4 shoots softly because 1) it has a rotating barrel 2) it has a heavy slide 3) it has a big grip and 4) is heavy for a polymer gun.

To answer the original post, I think the big advantage is it's easier to hammer forge a rotating barrel.

So far, my Ernest Langdon PX4 CC has been awesome. Very easy to shoot for a compact DASA gun, has an accurate hammer forged chrome lined barrel, is reliable, super smooth trigger, and conceals well.
    (Formerly known as Red State Tactical)
    m4carbine.net Technical Support Admin

"Why buy a Raptor when a Dakota will do the same job for less?" - Internet Experts

Feedback Score
    IIRC, when the PX4 first came on the market there were issues of slides jamming/freezing. That seems to have been resolved some time ago but some folks steer clear of the PX4 because of those early issues.

Feedback Score
    In the world of modern pistol system platforms,
    They have a few undesirable features.

(For those that have not heard me on this kick before,
    A modern service pistol platform is available in a range of full sized game guns, full sized offensive guns, regular service pistol sized, officer/Centurion types, compact, and sub compact. With magazine compatibility, some degree of accessory, holster compatibility. Most companies have this now. Think Glock, M&P, XDM, CZ, etc.)

On your full sized offensive guns, they are not a conveniently suppressable design.
    The action system seems fine for service/compact, but difficult to make it work with subcompact.

The only advantage over more popular designs is that for a given size/weight of a gun, their is some mitigation of perceived recoil.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast