Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Long Distance Pistol Shooting. Do you practice and what ammo do you use?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Straight Shooter View Post
    Didnt a Texas Ranger JUST this summer, make a one handed shot at either 75 or 100 yards? Am I correct on this, or imagining I heard/read this a couple or three months back?
    As for those kinda "sticks in the mud"...I myself dont & wont hang with those kinda Fudd assclowns. I grew up with Elmer Keith and have many of his books. The brother was WAY ahead of the long range game.
    2014. Austin PD. One handed at 104 yards

One thing is for sure, if you are a bad guy wishing to do harm to people in Texas, you should think twice if Sgt. Adam Johnson is in the vicinity. Johnson shot and killed an active shooter last week. However, the circumstances of the kill shot are amazing.

Steve McQuilliams was shot and killed by Sgt. Adam Johnson. From investigators’ report, Sgt. Johnson shot McQuilliams using a Smith & Wesson M&P .40 caliber handgun from 104 yards away, while holding the reins of two horses

https://freedomoutpost.com/texas-cop...-reins-horses/

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    2014. Austin PD. One handed at 104 yards

One thing is for sure, if you are a bad guy wishing to do harm to people in Texas, you should think twice if Sgt. Adam Johnson is in the vicinity. Johnson shot and killed an active shooter last week. However, the circumstances of the kill shot are amazing.

Steve McQuilliams was shot and killed by Sgt. Adam Johnson. From investigators’ report, Sgt. Johnson shot McQuilliams using a Smith & Wesson M&P .40 caliber handgun from 104 yards away, while holding the reins of two horses

https://freedomoutpost.com/texas-cop...-reins-horses/

Thats it...thank you. I must have only read or heard about it a few months back. Dude is a SHOTTIST.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Only two horses....? :-)

Dayum.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ned Christiansen View Post
    Only two horses....? :-)

Dayum.
    I know right! Anyone can do that!!!!

Feedback Score
    The "longest" I've done is 100. It can get tricky with a silencer. Shooting a 14" steel plate at that distance made me realize how little holdover is needed with 9mm. I can't keep 100% yet, but last I tried was a while ago and I've improved noticeably since then.

Long range pistol is fun and makes rifles feel like cheating.

I've found federal Al cases 9mm to be quite accurate. It will hold 3"or less at 25 (10 shot groups).

Loving the performance based threads recently!
    Last edited by MegademiC; 10-10-17 at 20:58.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    When teaching a carbine class or running a LEO qualification, I would have personnel shoot at a silhouette at 100 yards with their handguns before shooting carbines. Those who are experienced with firearms would hit the silhouette with little difficulty. Others would require some coaching. Then the question was posed "would a person with a carbine be legally and morally justified in engaging someone armed with a handgun at 100 yards?"

I've frequently shot a Glock 22 with 180g HST at 200 meters and a hit ratio of over 10% is possible. On a good day 30% is achievable. I shoot a bit better with my Kimber Ultra Carry II and 230g HST. The best way to calculate hold over and hold off for rotational drift is to shoot on a dusty day with a spotter calling your shots and suggesting hold off of target.

Why would you train to shoot at 200 yards? You might be caught out in the open armed with only a pistol to defend yourself. You can learn the probably of being hit by someone armed with a handgun at that distance. They don't have to be trained to hit you at that distance, just lucky. Most important, if you have the mental and physical discipline to hit a target at 200 yards with a handgun, making solid hits inside of 50 yards is second nature.
    Last edited by T2C; 10-10-17 at 21:26.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Shooting past 50Y will be MUCH easier with a red dot equipped pistol. The .125W front sights on most of my pistols really start covering the entire target past 60-70 yards. I've taken my MK25 RX with the Sig red dot to 150 on B/C steel with 124+P. Really fun and confidence inspiring.

Feedback Score
    I typically run reloads when I practice so that is what I use when stretching my pistols out to 50 yards and beyond. I can usually assemble better pistol ammo myself than I can buy (plinking grade), and for a lot less or a bit less money.

My most accurate handgun is my Freedom Arms M83 in .454 Casull. I realize this thread is defensive pistol oriented so I won't bore you all with the hilarity of pounding targets of opportunity with 300gr bullets at longish (for a handgun) ranges. When I had the RMR on this revolver it was ridiculous what you could hit, running 240gr bullets near 1900fps made hold over less of an issue.

My normal carry gun is my VP9 so it sees the most range use and has proven to be capable out to the 100 yard line. Need to stretch it out further. Like the OP I find 124gr bullets return the best accuracy in my HK barrel. The 124gr Hornady HAP has been particularly satisfying for reasonable component cost.
    Last edited by Coal Dragger; 10-11-17 at 04:16.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Yep.

Have found 124 +P HST and GD are most accurate from my carry guns.
    Proned out, 100 yds. isn't too difficult.

"Best out of 5" at 100, on your two feet, unsupported, becomes a challenge- especially in wind.
    A good trigger helps.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MSparks909 View Post
    Shooting past 50Y will be MUCH easier with a red dot equipped pistol. The .125W front sights on most of my pistols really start covering the entire target past 60-70 yards. I've taken my MK25 RX with the Sig red dot to 150 on B/C steel with 124+P. Really fun and confidence inspiring.
    Try shooting out of the notch and holding the top of the front sight @ C.O.M. You can determine how much the top of the front sight is held over the rear sight at a given range through experimentation.
    Train 2 Win

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast