Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Long Distance Pistol Shooting. Do you practice and what ammo do you use?

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    For longer distances of 75 and beyond, my most effective ammunition is a Magnum. Higher powered Magnums like a 357, 44, 454, and 460 have the flatter trajectories with less bullet drop depending upon bullet weight.

But I do shoot standard 9 mm and 45 ACP out to 100 yards in virtually any pistol. I just factor in the bullet drop necessary to carry it out, on a 10” plate or 2/3 IDPA Target.

Instagram: MuzzleblastMD

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    My backyard range goes to 100 yards, so I shoot pistol at half size steel silhouettes at 65 and full size silhouettes at 100. The RMR'ed G17 I use likes Federal 147 HST, so I use that for my carry ammo, as well as for practice at "longer" ranges. (For higher volume shooting at 0-35 yards the 147 grain ball suffices.)

The Speer 147 gdhp was actually more accurate/precise through my pistol, but informal expansion testing dissuaded me from carrying it.

Federal 9bple 115+p+ has less drop at 100, but was noticeably more sensitive to wind (or had erratic flyers, not sure)
    Last edited by MisterHelix; 10-11-17 at 07:00.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)

200y
    C Zone IPSC

1 out of 5 from the kneeling with a Suppressed G19 and RMR.

The wind will jack. you. up. at that distance. I'd love to spend more time learning the wind calls.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post
    Try shooting out of the notch and holding the top of the front sight @ C.O.M. You can determine how much the top of the front sight is held over the rear sight at a given range through experimentation.
    Elmer Keith had horizontal, gold bars installed of FS on some of his revolvers to accomplish this.
    It works (easier on an N frame S&W with Patridge FS than a Tritium/FO on a P-35 BHP/1911/Glock).

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Eurodriver, thanks for the vid. We have steel at 25 - 50 - 100 yards. Once you start shooting your pistols, temptation always gets the best of you. But I have never taken it seriously past 50, guess I gotta get my game on. Also, that being said, I'll have to pony up with some Gold dots or Federal HST's to be serious. Shit 115 grain is not the ideal.

What is the holdover at 100? Trying to get an idea. I think this a perfect application for an RMR, which I don't have. Note to self!

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Two LAV advanced Handgun classes I was eliminated from the walk back drill at the 110y line the first time and 100y line the second time. I guess I got worse at the second glass. I cheat tho; I shot the class using Wolf 115gr to save money but when we did the walk back drill(s) I switched to 147gr Freedom Munitions lol.

Ive never tried anything past those distances. I do have access to a 200y range but can't place steel any closer than 200y and I only have a 10" round plate for rifle shooting. Maybe I'll try it!
    I am part of that power which eternally wills evil, and eternally works good.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    image.jpg

The holdover isn't as much as you'd think. Aiming at the head or neck of a silhouette target typically results in torso hits.

The 115+P+ had about 3" less drop at 100 yards compared to the 147 grain HST.
    Last edited by MisterHelix; 10-11-17 at 10:48.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    Eurodriver, thanks for the vid. We have steel at 25 - 50 - 100 yards. Once you start shooting your pistols, temptation always gets the best of you. But I have never taken it seriously past 50, guess I gotta get my game on. Also, that being said, I'll have to pony up with some Gold dots or Federal HST's to be serious. Shit 115 grain is not the ideal.

What is the holdover at 100? Trying to get an idea. I think this a perfect application for an RMR, which I don't have. Note to self!

PB
    Someone can fact check me, but with a 10/50y zero with the RMR I am holding about the A zone on a C zone IPSC target at 100 yards. In a less politically correct way, shoot at a bad guys face and you’ll hit his chest. ETA: Misterhelix posted data above.

At 200 the rounds really just go all over the place. It’s so bad even the drop doesn’t feel consistent. It is very difficult, especially in the wind. I’ll have to shoot at paper this week and get some measured holds on record for 100 and 200.
    Last edited by Eurodriver; 10-11-17 at 17:24.

Feedback Score
    I would if I could. Local range only goes to 50yd.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast